PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy power supply

kev13dd
01-12-06, 06:51 PM
For some reason, my power supply started sounding like a jet taking off. It went away if you hit or bumped the computer, but it would eventually get loud again. I dunno how but I hit it enough to stop for about 5 months. Now the sound is back and no amount of hitting has stopped it

What has stopped it though is sticking a piece of plastic in the fan to prevent it from spinning

I have been told for years and years that if the power supply fan goes out, replace it right away, it's essential to the max. So the first thing I did was open up and monitor my system temps during the period the fan was plugged. And the temp has stayed almost around normal

My question is, is it safe to continue with the plug? Or shell out the cash for a new power supply right away

K

jAkUp
01-12-06, 06:54 PM
Its not your system that will overheat, its the PSU itself. They VR's get super hot.

I would get it replaced, but, killing the fan will just kill the PSU sooner than normal... you can try replacing the fan on the PSU, but just be very careful. Those caps still hold voltage for a long time.

kev13dd
01-12-06, 07:16 PM
Its not your system that will overheat, its the PSU itself. They VR's get super hot.

I would get it replaced, but, killing the fan will just kill the PSU sooner than normal... you can try replacing the fan on the PSU, but just be very careful. Those caps still hold voltage for a long time.
Ya, that's what I was worried about more than the components... when I came back into my room I got the nice "warm computer parts" smell pretty strong, so ya...

I remember during A+ they told us never ever open up a PSU, that it was beyond a doubt not something you want to try and repair randomly for the first time

K

P.s. Just a note for anyone who tries sticking things inside their PSU to stop the fan- very smart not to use metal. Sparks fly, computer shuts off, warning lights start blinking, and siren sounds come from the computer...