PDA

View Full Version : Any Asus EN7800GT Dual owners?

pibrahim
01-12-06, 08:12 PM
Howdy!

I'm considering buying two of the Dual 7800GT cards to try and run a Quad GPU setup. I saw the Tom's Hardware article where they appear to run okay (ish), but was just wondering if anyone else has managed to get two of the cards working together? Have tried a number of other forums and not have much luck so far...

From what I gather, the 90.xx series of drivers will support Quad GPUs (or even 85.xx). Any idea if this is likely to be confined to supporting the 4-card version, i.e. the nVidia/Dell GTX concept, or whether there'll be support for the Asus way of doing it too..?

Basically - if I get two cards, am I likely to be screwed..? I don't mind waiting a bit for drivers to be released that support it, just so long as they will support it, rather than ignoring it and proclaiming the Dell version to be the only 'official' Quad SLI setup...

agentkay
01-12-06, 09:07 PM
They should support it, but I don´t think they´ll support it the same way they support single card and regular SLI solutions. Of course I might be wrong and they´ll have a generic QuadSLI section in their drivers that includes both Dell and Asus version. Email ASUS and ask them how much support they will get from Nvidia in that regard, or how much support they plan to offer their customers. After all its the manufacturer who provides end-user support for their own product.

pibrahim
01-12-06, 09:59 PM
Asus' reply wasn't particularly helpful:

'As of right now, there is no official support for running multiple 7800GT dual cards.'

Could easily leave the door open for future driver updates (presumably in tandem with the 90.xx release of drivers) but they're just so vague. Not really sure what to expect in the future.

Anyone else got two copies of the card and had success with the Asus 77.77 drivers...?

wheeljack12
01-13-06, 03:32 PM
it says right on the product page, it will only allow one of those cards to run at a time on any sli motherboard. I would imagine either a new chipset would be needed (as it would for the dell quad sli) or a major bios update to asus sli motherboards. Because other than the 6600le, this guy doesn't even have a sli connector on the card. I looked into it after it was mentioned in this thread because unless dell/nvidia open up that license on the quad sli to board makers to sell retail, you are going to be having to call yourself dude if you want quad right now.

pibrahim
01-13-06, 05:57 PM
it says right on the product page, it will only allow one of those cards to run at a time on any sli motherboard. I would imagine either a new chipset would be needed (as it would for the dell quad sli) or a major bios update to asus sli motherboards. Because other than the 6600le, this guy doesn't even have a sli connector on the card. I looked into it after it was mentioned in this thread because unless dell/nvidia open up that license on the quad sli to board makers to sell retail, you are going to be having to call yourself dude if you want quad right now.

IMO, that disclaimer on the Asus website is just a stopgap until they get proper Quad drivers working (presumably at a similar time to the 85.xx or 90.xx release, whichever one was touted to support Quad SLI). The A8N32-SLI motherboard can handle the four GPUs - the Tom's Hardware test proved that; lack of an SLI connector might hurt performance but it's certainly not a total bar to running the two cards together.

I think the main thing is, as you say, driver support and whether Dell wants some form of exclusivity...