PDA

View Full Version : ForceWare 8x.xx Series have a huge bug!

engall
01-13-06, 05:43 AM
32bit ForceWare 8x.xx Series have a huge bug.

It made me crazy before I knew it.

I have 4GB memory. And 32bit Windows XP PRO SP2 only can show me 3GB.

So I went to 32bit Windows Server 2003.

32bit Windows Server 2003 can show me the entire 4GB.

First, I was very happy with that.But I met the huge problem.

The system was unstable when I run 3D Games or 3Dmark series.

It was bugging me for a couple of nights,sometimes I cant sleep well because of

that.And I search internet ,and desperately find some useful information.

But it wont help.

I took off 2GB memory and tried again.All works fine.

Maybe it is a drivers issue.

Originally I installed ForceWare 82.12 official beta release that works very well under Windows XP SP2 ,and

I changed it to ForceWare 81.98WHQL the latest official release.

It was still the same problem.

I heard before ForceWare 8x.xx had a lot of weird problems.

So I gave my last try ,then I installed ForceWare 77.18.

Everything becomes fine.

I hope nVIDIA can fix it as soon as possible.

Now I cant play a lot of newest games because of drivers support such as BF2.

nekrosoft13
01-13-06, 07:13 AM
you probably have amd system

allot of amd athlon 64bit systems have problem when 4 memory slots are fulled. :thumbdwn:

Greeno
01-13-06, 07:34 AM
Agreed with nekrosoft13...

The fact that you're seeing 3GB in XP 32-bit is a limitation on the operating system and has no baring on what graphics card/drivers you're using (just wanted to clear that up).

Post your PC spec... we'll see if we can help further.

Fancy playing games in Windows Server 2003 anyway... why not just try Windows XP x64 Edition.

engall
01-13-06, 07:39 AM
you probably have amd system

allot of amd athlon 64bit systems have problem when 4 memory slots are fulled. :thumbdwn:
No, of course not.

Spec:

P5ND2-SLi,nForce 4 SLi Intel Editon

P4 506

GeForce 6600GT

Now I installed ForceWare 79.11 and Every thing is very fine.

The system is very stable.

I tried a lot of ForceWare 8x.xx drivers.

The result is the same.

engall
01-13-06, 07:48 AM
Agreed with nekrosoft13...

The fact that you're seeing 3GB in XP 32-bit is a limitation on the operating system and has no baring on what graphics card/drivers you're using (just wanted to clear that up).

Post your PC spec... we'll see if we can help further.

Fancy playing games in Windows Server 2003 anyway... why not just try Windows XP x64 Edition.
Of course ,I think the graphics card/drivers have nothing to do with 3GB problem in XP 32-bit .

And I tried Windows XP x64 Edition before.But A lot of hardwares I have dont have 64bit Drivers.And Windows XP x64 Edition has lots of bugs,I cant live with it.

engall
01-13-06, 07:56 AM
Some guy in nVIDIA forum confirmed what I found.

here (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=10697)

I can confirm this. As soon as the 8x.xx drivers face a memory address above 2^32 they go absolutely bonkers.

80.xx and 81.xx would barely let me use Windows 2003 at all. Dialog boxes were often hidden and the system was very crash prone the few minutes I had to use it in order to revert back to 78.xx. (forget about trying to launch any games) 32-bit 81.92 seems more stable (i.e. usable in 2D), but won't let me launch BF2.

I now use 79.11 which is rock solid. With any 8x.xx version even 2D fails. (unless I disable the memory hole so the OS only sees about 2.5GB memory)

Under 64-bit Windows 2003, things are smoother, but even there some of the first 80.xx versions would trigger BSODs quite frequently (e.g. merely loading a level on FarCry x64). Fortunately 81.92 seems stable though.

I'm a bit dismayed that nVidia managed to get the 8x.xx drivers WHQL certified.

Lord_Obsidian
01-13-06, 04:31 PM
Add this switch to your boot.ini

/PAE.

Test after this and post your results.

henrybravo
01-13-06, 04:47 PM
Add this switch to your boot.ini

/PAE.

Actually there is no period in the switch. Just use /PAE

HB

danielcg
01-13-06, 09:27 PM
If you have Windows XP SP2 (not Windows Server 2003) then you will not have any problems with any drivers because these drivers cannot access above 4GB address boundary.

Also, maximum you can access is 3GB in Windows XP SP2 because 1GB is reserved for chipset resources such AGP frame memory, USB, motherboard BIOS, etc...

I have 2GB of memory but will upgrade to 3GB instead of 4GB to save the money and fully utilize 3GB with Windows XP Professional SP2.

If you want to use Windows Server 2003, you must have 3GB of memory modules installed, not 4GB of memory installed because Windows Server 2003 would allocate addresses above 4GB boundary and many 32bit drivers will not support that address area.

aAv7
01-13-06, 10:06 PM
Had the same problem, but I have amd64- had to use two sticks and all has been well for over a year.

engall
01-13-06, 11:10 PM
If you have Windows XP SP2 (not Windows Server 2003) then you will not have any problems with any drivers because these drivers cannot access above 4GB address boundary.

Also, maximum you can access is 3GB in Windows XP SP2 because 1GB is reserved for chipset resources such AGP frame memory, USB, motherboard BIOS, etc...

I have 2GB of memory but will upgrade to 3GB instead of 4GB to save the money and fully utilize 3GB with Windows XP Professional SP2.

If you want to use Windows Server 2003, you must have 3GB of memory modules installed, not 4GB of memory installed because Windows Server 2003 would allocate addresses above 4GB boundary and many 32bit drivers will not support that address area.

I have no problem with ForceWare 7x.xx on Windows Server 2003.
And Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition SP1 I installed can support 32GB of RAM.
So I think it is a bug of ForceWare 8x.xx.