PDA

View Full Version : Jerky mouse

Enverex
01-13-06, 08:02 AM
When I move the mouse around in Windows you can see it doesn't move smoothly and seems to judder at some points. It's not the mouse itself as when it judders it's like it's catching up with itself so it still moves the right distance, just in a rather unsmooth fashion. It's a basic USB MS Intellimouse and I've never had any problems before and really can't think of anything it could be. There isn't anything running in the background to cause any load at all and rebooting doesn't help. It seems to do it when the HardDrive is reading or writing but I've used this drive in another PC and it was fine and it was fine under Linux. I have the latest nForce drivers loaded so I really can't think what it could be. The machine is:

Asus A8N-E Motherboard (nForce4 Ultra)
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
nVidia GForce 7800GT (XFX)
and a Maxtor 160GB SATA HD.

Any ideas?

Enverex
01-13-06, 08:38 AM
Ok, it's not the HD, it's the processor. Whenever it's doing anything that requires any amount of usage the mouse judders around.

alucard_x
01-13-06, 08:52 AM
you can try increasing the usb polling rate to something like 500Hz. google for 'change usb poll rate xp'

Superfly
01-13-06, 09:40 AM
polling rate wont help - in fact it would just make things worse.

try another USB port and update to the new 5.5 drivers.....

eli
01-13-06, 10:13 AM
Try going into your settings and look at the pointer speed setting, having it at the halfway point is optimal.
What kind of games do you play btw? If you play alot of fps, i would suggest buying a better mouse. The mouse you have now is good, but its dpi is quite low.

Viventis
01-15-06, 08:56 AM
If it is an older ball mouse, you have to clean the rollers and ball! Use a q-tip and nail polish remover. Rubbing alcohol will do in a pinch. The rollers are not easy to clean a full 360 degrees.