PDA

View Full Version : amd 760/761/762 northbridge problem with 8x.00 forceware

wintpe
01-13-06, 08:26 PM
Could not see an abvious post in relation to this problem here that is being discussed over at forums.nvidia.com.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9563

anyone attempting to install any drivers version newer than 78.01 (ie 8x.xx) on motherboards based on the AMD 760/761/762 chipset will have a black screen with flashing cursor on reboot.
only cure is boot into vga mode and revert to 78.01 or disable the amd agp driver (huge performance hit)
this effects all 6xxx based agp boards.
so far nvidia does not appear to care.

just posting it here as ive already seen one post here with similar symptoms, and hope that detailed crossposts will help make nvidia aware how big a problem this is.

sorry if its a repeat

regards peter

TierMann
01-13-06, 08:49 PM
Ok, so that makes a total of 3 agp boards to be careful of with 6xxx cards now. First was nforce3 + fastwrites. Next they broke compatibility with via agp drivers after some people switched to via to fix their nforce3 problems (I think that was fixed in newer drivers though). And now it's AMD too?

People still use agp to spite the efforts to force upgrades and manufacturers will even be putting out an agp 7800GS soon. Fix it.

Tho Jo Smale
01-14-06, 02:09 AM
Ok, so that makes a total of 3 agp boards to be careful of with 6xxx cards now. First was nforce3 + fastwrites. Next they broke compatibility with via agp drivers after some people switched to via to fix their nforce3 problems (I think that was fixed in newer drivers though). And now it's AMD too?

People still use agp to spite the efforts to force upgrades and manufacturers will even be putting out an agp 7800GS soon. Fix it.

What you said!

saturnotaku
01-14-06, 08:39 AM

OMGZ it si teh konspiracee!!11

TierMann
01-14-06, 05:41 PM
If a fanboy can come up with conspiracies then they're doing something wrong.

Slammin
01-15-06, 12:14 AM
Is there any reason for folks with the old antiquated hardware to update their drivers anyway?

TierMann
01-15-06, 01:07 AM
Since there are still fixes going in for games and bugs for GPU's that have agp versions, yes. The 7800GS just extends that. Going back to old drivers like say 67.66 won't be an option either. There are still things to come in future drivers for those cards as well like even more PureVideo features for 6xxx and 7x.

wintpe
01-16-06, 05:42 AM
many of those effected (myself included) have the amd 762 with dual athlon MP 2800+.
although not bang up to date, its hardly antiquated.
In fact its probably not that far behind a low end athon 64 x2
regards peter

wintpe
01-17-06, 05:57 AM
on taking advise from a posting in this forum, i have downloaded and installed 79.11, and these also work with the amd 762 , in fact they work very well indeed allowing me to overclock my 6800GT to 388 based on the nvidia autodetection feature., the previous 78.01 only autodetected 375.
hope this info helps others effected by this issue.
regards peter

Slammin
01-19-06, 05:53 AM
Sorry if my post seemed a little harsh, but there seem to be so many driver junkies that will load ANY new driver, as long as it is newer than the one they already run, regardless if they are having problems or not, and then scream when the new driver breaks something. You see the same when it comes to mobo bios's too, and that is scary.

Unless I'm having some specific issue, or a new driver adds some functionality I need, I leave well enough alone.

Again, wasn't trying to trash anyones hardware, just stating that newer isn't always better.

ynnek
01-21-06, 06:35 PM
Sorry if my post seemed a little harsh, but there seem to be so many driver junkies that will load ANY new driver, as long as it is newer than the one they already run, regardless if they are having problems or not, and then scream when the new driver breaks something. You see the same when it comes to mobo bios's too, and that is scary.

Unless I'm having some specific issue, or a new driver adds some functionality I need, I leave well enough alone.

Again, wasn't trying to trash anyones hardware, just stating that newer isn't always better.

In the perfect world, newer should be better. But we live far far from a perfect world.. New versions can mean new problems.

But I know what you mean.. I'm really hesitant on upgrading BIOS unless there's something specific that I'm looking for..

I've given up updating the forceware's on my HTPC using a FX5200.. For some reason, the latest vers seem to break tv out.. i think its still on the lower 7x series..

My main gaiming rig though is happy with the latest and greatest drivers on everything though. :)

wintpe
02-06-06, 09:21 AM
In Reply to Slammin
i did not try to upgrade my drivers, I bought a 6800GT and the 82.xx drivers are what came with it, ive had to revert to older drivers to get the card i bought to work.
Should I have upgraded my 4600TI to a 6800GT, thats another question, but the poor performance i was getting in quake 4 led me to suspect it would help (it did) and also fearing that the 6800GT was the last upgrade i would be able to do to this machine before i would have to consider a big leap to SLI/x64.
Under the 79 drivers this card performs fine, and ill be happy until theres somthing I canot run, best to start presurising nvidia now before this problem gets to deep in there drivers and too difficalt to back out.
I am sure that some of those moaning fall into the catorgory you describe, but theres an large amount of ppl grabbing the 6800GT now that its being phased out, as the 6600 is so problematic under AGP.
regards peter

wintpe
04-02-06, 04:18 PM
please can a forum administrator make this subject a sticky.
it is effecting many 6 and 7 series users, and needs to be known about, to prevent any other users from buying these cards if they have the effected platform.
Nvidia has still not provided a fix to this, and it is currently better represented at the nvforums, but will apply to many nvnews members as well.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9563

to sumarise.

you canot run a nvidia 6x00 or 7x00 card in an amd 760, 761, or 762 chipset based motherboard due to a conflict introduced by nvidia with all 8x.xx series drivers, all you get is a blinking cursor in the top left of your screen after reboot. As some people are buying AGP nvidia cards in the 6x00 and 7x00 as upgrades that have no driver support in anything 7x.xx, then they will simply have to throw there old motherboard away and get a newer agp motherboard. This is not a huge problem for the 760/761 platform as newer motherboards are probably better, but the 762 is the only dual CPU XP/MP based platform available, and it is here were the pain is felt most.

regards peter

wintpe
04-21-06, 07:48 PM
according to a posting on nvidia forums, amd are to release a new driver for the agp bridge problem withing the near future

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9563&st=140

regards peter

pnut_gallery
04-22-06, 01:38 AM
Last time I used my ATi 9100 Pro chipset, there where a huge incompatibility with nvidia cards. Could not install the drivers without getting a 640*480 4-bit display. Now I am back with a wonderfull Intel chipset and every driver runs without problems. (At least on my rig).

I tried the 81.33 highly beta drivers with that ATi chipset, and BOOM, I could not use my Network anymore and the PCI slots where screwed.
Before that I didn't think that drivers could break hardware...