PDA

View Full Version : WIDESCREEN LCD is great!

FearMeAll
01-14-06, 09:42 AM
Boy I've been through many many monitors in the last year. First a 22inch trinitron 85 pound beast, then a sleeker sony 19inch lcd(had a glossy screen..decided now I don't like glossy-too distracting) then hooked up the pc to a 46inch HDTV (text was hard to read), and then a projector 1024x758..looked fantastic and games ran beautifully, but I had to have a dark room to enjoy it plus it was 4:3, and now I just bought a Gateway 21" FPD2185W widescreen monitor and now I think I finally found what I was looking for. Right now the other screens are in my closet never to be used again. :o
I really like this thing and being widescreen even though it is not as big as a 150" projection screen it feels very immersive. Also the colors on this thing are absolutely great. Less dithering going on than with my old sony LCD which I paid more for a year ago. It looks great on my desk and I love just seeing my desktop windows now. It has a rez of 1680x1050 which is just fine by me but in 2 years I may get something equal to the dell 30" but I need to wait for hardware to mature some more. I only paid 500 bucks for this thing at bestbuy and yeah there are better deals on Dell with the 23" I believe but I like just going to the store and buying it. The thing looks great on me desk.
My recommendation is that if you are a pc gamer that you get a widescreen monitor of some sort. It takes work to get some games to work in widescreen but it is worth it. It will be the way games will be made in the future and I hope devs give us more support so we don't have to hack, because having the extra field of view immerses me due to the peripheral vision. Bloodlines looks fantastic (my current game I'm playing) Here have a look.

Nutty
01-14-06, 09:53 AM
Nice! Glad ya like it.

I'm waiting to see if the Xerox 20" 16:10 screens due out soon have a the glass front. If so I'm planning on picking one up.

PaiN
01-14-06, 10:23 AM
My recommendation is that if you are a pc gamer that you get a widescreen monitor of some sort...
Amen to that :D enjoy your WS

Peacemaker
01-14-06, 10:34 AM
nice setup :)

congratulations!

on www.hardforum.com displays section you'll find all big thread about those Gateway :)

grteetings,

Peacemaker.

Capt. Picard
01-14-06, 10:42 AM
Those other "junk". Can I have it please?

That screenshot of the chick. From what game is it? Bloodline?

FearMeAll
01-14-06, 01:00 PM
Those other "junk". Can I have it please?

That screenshot of the chick. From what game is it? Bloodline?
Yes my friend, the game is Bloodlines :D
Yeah the other "junk" cost me an arm and a leg lol :p . My sony 19" LCD monitor cost me about $750 at the time and the Optoma EZPRO 739 projector was about $1450 and I don't know what to do with them. I was thinking if I got a house soon I would set the projector as my 4:3 display as a secondary monitor. So if I must suffer the indignity of a stubborn 4:3 game then I might as well do it on a 150-200" screen lol. Might as well do it right if I do it. I have a gray screen for the projector on it's way. I've got all kinds of plans how I want to set it up.
I think I'll put the projector on a ceiling mount and have the displays set up as clone of eachother and if I want to play a game at 1024 x 768 I just have to turn my head, turn off the lights, and press on for the projector. (nana2)
Gonna get some couches for that room also. Oh the plans!
I love how versital PCs are.

Capt. Picard
01-14-06, 01:30 PM
Damn. Nevermind. Shipping across the Atlantic would cost me an arm and a leg too anyway.:D

How is Bloodlines? What must one do in the game?

FearMeAll
01-14-06, 01:42 PM
How is Bloodlines? What must one do in the game?
It's a RPG/FPS/Third person. If you get this game get ALL the patches for it cuz it needs them. It uses an early version of the source engine so it is a little buggy. However for me the gameplay is worth it. I haven't had this much fun since the first Deus Ex and the environments are much more colorful.
You play as a newly embraced vampire and you have to work your way up the ranks by manipulating people other vampires and you have to keep the "masquerade" that you are not a vampire. The dialogue in the game is the best I've heard and the facial animations and body language during conversation are the best in an RPG ever. I get more of a kick talking to people in it than fighting.
There is just so much depth for a game like this and I'm sorry that there are not more made. It also has a lot of different endings I believe and I think I'm halfway through they game and I've been playing for God knows how many hours.
I love it personally. But be warned of the bugs and research before you buy it. But if you liked Deus Ex 1 then this will blow you away.

ynnek
01-14-06, 05:35 PM
You only paid $500 at best buy? How did you manage that? They are all 600 here.

FearMeAll
01-14-06, 05:56 PM
You only paid $500 at best buy? How did you manage that? They are all 600 here.
I think so..might been like 525 after taxes. It all went kinda fast. I walked in and about 4 minutes later I had a monitor in my hands. I have to find the reciept it is in my car. I could be wrong but I remember thinking it wasn't very much money considering what kind of screen it was. I was going in planning to spend at least a grand.

keith33
01-14-06, 07:08 PM
Congrats and welcome to the 1680x1050 club, actually, as a matter of fact, in celebration of this thread, I'm going to make a club in the general hardware forum. :D