PDA

View Full Version : Separate 2d/3d/ clocks?

Quick420
01-15-06, 09:42 AM
Everytime I clock my card high in 3d in also changes my 2d clocks,causing random freezes,usually on java,flash websites.How can I separate the clocks speeds? btw 81.98 & rivatuner 15.8 I messed a bit with the power user setting it's prolly something in there,any ideas?

|MaguS|
01-15-06, 10:13 AM
Um, you should have been able to from the start. What are you using the overclock? The only clocks that are locked to the same 2D/3D is the RAM, core can have two seperate clocks.

Quick420
01-15-06, 10:37 AM
That's the problem,when I overclock the memory in 3d the 2d memory clock goes up as well.I've narrowed my java freezes to the 2d memory clock being too high.If there is no way around it I'll just use riva to turn down 2d memory when I need to surf around :thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
01-15-06, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Theres no way around it. The 2D/3D clocks for the RAM are tied together. If your locking up when in 2D mode then your too high, even if the 3D works ok. The safest bet would be to go lower ingeneral since you could cause damage or at worst get artifacts during play.

Quick420
01-15-06, 11:21 AM
Yes you are probably right,the performance increase is sooo tempting though for 3d and I get no artifacts at 400/900 in Fear,so I guess a couple of mouse clicks will have to suffice.I'm not really worried about this card it was cheap and I have a ti4600(among others) as a backup.Waiting on the agp version of the 7800gtx or gt no matter.Since sli is in it's infancy I'm sticking with agp for now(nana2)

demarton
01-17-06, 09:04 AM
it's possible to have separate core AND mem clock in 2D and 3D, I'v done that and it works (nana2)

This involves modding your bios which might void your warranty, but hey I don't see the reason why u cannot flash it back to original bios in case something went wrong.

Just download latest Nibitor.
Save your current original bios to a file for backup.
Than you can safely change the bios.
Go for Clockrate tab, there is 2 entries 2D and 3D for core and Memory.
If you want a different clock for memory in 2D / 3D, just set them diffrently.
eg. 2D core 350 mem 500, 3D core 450 mem 550.
The key here is to set different mem clock for 2D and 3D, the default is same clock for 3D/2D. After mod save then use nvflash to flash it to your card.

Play around with coolbits, right now u should be able to set 2D and 3D mem speed independently of each other.

RejZoR
01-17-06, 11:03 AM
Use ATiTool to seperate even memory frequencies.
I'm now running 300/900 for 2D mode and 550/1200 for 3D mode.
It's better than Coolbits since there your memory is the same for 2D and 3D mode. Interface might be a bit confusing but you'll get it fast :)