PDA

View Full Version : -Win Vista 32bit- 8670 LDDM (dated 12/22/05)

Pages : [1] 2

mobilenvidia
01-15-06, 08:21 PM
Seeing it's all quiet on the driver front, I've been playing with Vista on my mighty Geforce2 go.
Knowing now how these LDDM drivers work now, I managed to suck this driver from Build 5270 of Vista.
These drivers are very small as they have no Control panel. (so don't ask)

For those that couldn't install these drivers because their GPU was too old or not included in the release, I have made modded INFs to allow all GPU's to be installed.
It also forces on Glass effect for those GPU's that can have it enabled but Vista might disable all the same.

Replace original INF with modded one and then install

These drivers can ONLY be installed via control panel, System properties update display driver.

For links to Driver and modded INF follow link in sig.

Enjoy :)

Electronic Punk
01-16-06, 03:47 AM
Interesting, seems my 6800 Ultra installed 8505 by default, will have to see if I can get 8670 on -- any differences between the two drivers?

mobilenvidia
01-16-06, 11:08 AM
No differences that I can see.

85.05 comes with build 5270 so this will be installed first.
You can just update the driver via update drivers way to 8670.
You'll need to extract the drivers somewhere of course, you shouldn't need a modded INF, I'm sure the 6800 Ultra is supported by default.

superklye
01-16-06, 11:09 AM
I wish I had Vista. :(

mobilenvidia
01-16-06, 11:38 AM
It's only a year away or so, the time will fly by.
Trust me Vista is still very Beta, I would most certainly not even consider using it for a main OS yet.

But saying that it is awful perdy :D

Annihlist
01-17-06, 02:03 AM
yerp 90% of games don't work properly on vista, so I wouldn't use it as primary. Don't know if you can enable SLI?

Electronic Punk
01-17-06, 03:56 AM
It's only a year away or so, the time will fly by.
Trust me Vista is still very Beta, I would most certainly not even consider using it for a main OS yet.

But saying that it is awful perdy :D

Far less than a year away. MS want it shipping with PCs for Christmas.
I saw a few builds newer and it is shaping up nicely.

mobilenvidia
01-17-06, 11:05 AM
Would be nice to see it sooner rather than later.
I see somewhere it's other name Windows 2007.
A December release would make marketing sense.

Wasn't the December (2005) release supposed to be Beta 2, but is now put back to February release ?
Are they running behind ?
Hopefully they arn't going to just release Vista anyway and rely on Service packs to fix problems once or twice a year.

Time will tell.

retsam
01-19-06, 08:50 PM
I wish I had Vista. :(no you dont...

mobilenvidia
01-20-06, 12:22 PM
VISTA has no control panel with the LDDM drivers.
So I tried to install the normal XP drivers and found these worked with Vista and gave a Control panel just like in XP, but then there was no glass effect.
From here I worked on an INF that would work with Vista and XP, after some testing and tweaking I think I have it sorted.
Basically you need to find a XP driver you like, then grab the Vista driver of choice.

Now here is what you do:

1) Download and Extract the Forceware drivers somewhere.
2) Download and Extract the LDDM drivers into same directory where you put the Forceware drivers from step 1
3) Delete these 2 INFs from the directory above with both drivers combined, nv_DM.inf and nv_LH.inf
4) Now download and put the special Vista/XP INF in the directory with both drivers, which you can find here Vista/XP INF (http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/85series/8670inf_lh/nv4_disp.inf)
5) Depending on the original Forceware driver you used you may also have to delete another INF.
The Vista/XP INF is called nv4_disp.inf (nVidia default) if the driver has an OEM INF you may need to remove this INF also to just leave nv4_disp.inf.
6) Now you can install the driver, this will need to be done via control panel update driver method in the system properties, under display.

Once installed reboot and you'll have a fully working driver with a control panel.
NOW, I'm unable to test this myself, but if someone could test this for me, there is a small chance that the Aero glass effect might work also.
Probably not likely as I had to enable the XP display driver nv4_disp.dll, no the Vista one nvd3dum.sys
But one never know as nvlddmkm.sys Vista's only other system file does get installed.

A useful side affect for me is that this Vista/XP INF also works with Windows XP.

Superfly
01-20-06, 01:29 PM
I'd bet Oct/Nov for Vista if I were a betting man.

As for getting the XP CP working with this build well done sir, I cant imagine it runs to well though.....?

retsam
01-20-06, 01:37 PM

As for getting the XP CP working with this build well done sir, I cant imagine it runs to well though.....?
i spoke to one of the m$ reps at work and he said that he's hearing aug-sept timeframe...but who know.. but the current build that i saw just wasnt in a very stable state.

Superfly
01-20-06, 02:02 PM
roger that

mobilenvidia
01-20-06, 03:34 PM

The control panel works as it should and 2D performance is heaps faster.
Not done any 3D testing.

Vista is unstable for me, can't run certain apps at all.
Explorer keeps crashing or app just freezes with 100% CPU usage.
This happened before I installed the XP driver so can't blame that.

I'd dare say Vista is a long way of production, but looks very promising.

OWA
01-20-06, 06:00 PM
So I tried to install the normal XP drivers and found these worked with Vista and gave a Control panel just like in XP, but then there was no glass effect.
From here I worked on an INF that would work with Vista and XP, after some testing and tweaking I think I have it sorted.
Basically you need to find a XP driver you like, then grab the Vista driver of choice.

Now here is what you do:

2) Download and Extract the LDDM drivers into same directory where you put the Forceware drivers from step 1
3) Delete these 2 INFs from the directory above with both drivers combined, nv_DM.inf and nv_LH.inf
4) Now download and put the special Vista/XP INF in the directory with both drivers, which you can find here Vista/XP INF (http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/85series/8670inf_lh/nv4_disp.inf)
5) Depending on the original Forceware driver you used you may also have to delete another INF.
The Vista/XP INF is called nv4_disp.inf (nVidia default) if the driver has an OEM INF you may need to remove this INF also to just leave nv4_disp.inf.
6) Now you can install the driver, this will need to be done via control panel update driver method in the system properties, under display.

Once installed reboot and you'll have a fully working driver with a control panel.
NOW, I'm unable to test this myself, but if someone could test this for me, there is a small chance that the Aero glass effect might work also.
Probably not likely as I had to enable the XP display driver nv4_disp.dll, no the Vista one nvd3dum.sys
But one never know as nvlddmkm.sys Vista's only other system file does get installed.

A useful side affect for me is that this Vista/XP INF also works with Windows XP.
So, are you saying we can use these drivers with XP as well?

Jimi
01-20-06, 06:00 PM

Now here is what you do:

This really isn't going to work. I spoke to an NVIDIA rep at CES and the XP drivers and Vista drivers are completely different code bases since Microsoft has revamped the driver architecture under the hood. The control panel driver you modified doesn't work (i tried it) and I suspect we need to wait for a new driver from NVIDIA with a control panel.

OWA
01-20-06, 06:34 PM
I guess that answers my question as well.

Robobandit
01-20-06, 07:21 PM
Has anyone seen a newer 64bit driver for 5270? I can't get this one to use 1680x1050 resolution for my lcd monitor, and the modified INF for the 32-bit version here probably won't work, right?

Thanks in advance :)

edit: I tried forcing it in powerstrip but it was a no-go.

mobilenvidia
01-20-06, 08:46 PM
This really isn't going to work. I spoke to an NVIDIA rep at CES and the XP drivers and Vista drivers are completely different code bases since Microsoft has revamped the driver architecture under the hood. The control panel driver you modified doesn't work (i tried it) and I suspect we need to wait for a new driver from NVIDIA with a control panel.
You are very much mistaken my friend, I have it working now.
I can't get Paintshop pro X to work with Vista :( so I can't get a screen shot.
I'll find something else that can do a screen capture.

http://laptopvideo2go.com/webpictures/vista_nvidia_cp.jpg
[UPDATE] Managed to get this rather terrible screen capture, to get the idea, I miss PS pro

Can someone get me the INFs from the 64bit LDDM driver.
All you need to do is search for nv_DM.inf and nv_LH.inf on the drive where Vista is installed.
I can't install the 64bit version for obvious reasons and can't get into that PIM file where all the files are stored.

Attach them here, it will be very easy for me to make a modded INF for them if they should be different (very likely)

I some one could send me these these files from Vista 64bit:
nv_DM.inf
nv_LH.inf
nv_DM.PNF
nv_LH.PNF
nvd3dum.dll
nvlddmkm.sys
to pieter@laptopvideo2go.com.
I can then make a 64bit version that others can download.

So, are you saying we can use these drivers with XP as well?
Yes they will install in XP as well (I am talking about copying the LDDM drivers into a XP driver) and then install with INF I made for Vista.
I don't know if the Vista benefits will become available, not tested.
But it all installs with no errors and runs just fine.
As I'm typing this with FW 83.10 and LDDM 8670 combined Win XP.

OWA
01-20-06, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the info.

Robobandit
01-20-06, 09:28 PM
You are very much mistaken my friend, I have it working now.
I can't get Paintshop pro X to work with Vista :( so I can't get a screen shot.
I'll find something else that can do a screen capture.

Can someone get me the INFs from the 64bit LDDM driver.
All you need to do is search for nv_DM.inf and nv_LH.inf on the drive where Vista is installed.
I can't install the 64bit version for obvious reasons and can't get into that PIM file where all the files are stored.

Attach them here, it will be very easy for me to make a modded INF for them if they should be different (very likely)

I some one could send me these these files from Vista 64bit:
nv_DM.inf
nv_LH.inf
nv_DM.PNF
nv_LH.PNF
nvd3dum.dll
nvlddmkm.sys
to pieter@laptopvideo2go.com.
I can then make a 64bit version that others can download.

Yes they will install in XP as well (I am talking about copying the LDDM drivers into a XP driver) and then install with INF I made for Vista.
I don't know if the Vista benefits will become available, not tested.
But it all installs with no errors and runs just fine.
As I'm typing this with FW 83.10 and LDDM 8670 combined Win XP.

I'm going to reinstall vista tonight and I'll search for the drivers it installs. I have been unable to find any other 64-bit drivers for vista other than those that come with the OS

mobilenvidia
01-20-06, 09:51 PM
I'm going to reinstall vista tonight and I'll search for the drivers it installs. I have been unable to find any other 64-bit drivers for vista other than those that come with the OS
Cheers, even 8505 are a good start :)

Robobandit
01-21-06, 12:16 AM
Cheers, even 8505 are a good start :)

Ok, you've got mail :)

mobilenvidia
01-21-06, 12:51 AM
Cheers Robo :thumbsup: ,

That should be all I need to do my stuff.
The 64bit INF is slightly different from the 32bit version.
I'll have some INFs up later.

Robobandit
01-21-06, 01:24 AM
awesome, I'll be looking forward to it :)