PDA

View Full Version : Purevideo/WMP

CKS
01-17-06, 05:16 AM
forceware is 81.98
purevideo is 1.20-185
windows media player is updated to 10.00.00.3923

when I play any hd-wmv, for example "step into the liquid", no tray icon is shown, is this normal?

I thought tray icon means purevideo is working; no icon, no hd acceleration, right?

RejZoR
01-17-06, 05:52 AM
I don't get it how NVIDIA differs PureVideo in drivers and PureVideo for DVD decoding (MPEG-2). As far as i can tell NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder decodes/accelerates only DVD video. They also don't mention any HD-WMV or H.264 acceleration on their webpage for standalone PureVideo Decoder,just DVD's again.
Strange...

rdhw
01-17-06, 06:54 AM
when I play any hd-wmv, for example "step into the liquid", no tray icon is shown, is this normal?It depends whether WMP is using the PureVideo codec, or some other codec that you have installed. You can use the "Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility" to check which decoder WMP will prefer to use.

sharangad
01-17-06, 08:21 AM
forceware is 81.98
purevideo is 1.20-185

when I play any hd-wmv, for example "step into the liquid", no tray icon is shown, is this normal?

I thought tray icon means purevideo is working; no icon, no hd acceleration, right?

The PureVideo codec is currently only an MPEG-2 decoder. It will only work for .mpeg, .mpg, .ts,.tp, .m2v and that sort of codec. You can trick it into decoding AC-3 included with AVI files and so on, but to do that you need to remove all othe AC-3 codecs.

The video codec will work with any app which supports DirectShow as 'tis nVidia property. However, the audio codecs which supports AC-3, DTS and Pro Logic II tech belong to other people like Dolby and DTS and has been approved only to work with Windows Media Player and XP MCE only.

It does not currently decode WMV HD or anything else.

If you look at http://store.nvidia.com/, you'll see that it says:

The NVIDIA® PureVideo Decoder plug-in enables the industry's highest quality DVD and MPEG-2 playback and rich surround sound audio for Microsoft® Windows® Media Player and Windows Media Center Edition. Featuring Dolby® Digital surround sound audio and hardware acceleration for compatible graphics processors, the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder plug-in delivers unmatched color fidelity and smooth DVD, video, and TV viewing. When paired with a NVIDIA GeForce™ GPU, the NVIDIA Purevideo Decoder plug-in enables adaptive de-interlacing and high quality filtering for the ultimate home theater experience.

( Note that it says MPEG-2 and DVD decoder. )

nVidia unfortunately called its DVD decoder PureVideo along with the video tech used in the GF6/7. So when someone says PureVideo, there's no way to differentiate between them. Is Purevideo decoding my WMV HD? ( is this the DVD codec or the video processor? )

AliceCooper
01-17-06, 03:24 PM
Spend a little bit more and get WinDVD or Power DVD. Much better than WMP.

I don't have any hd-wmv but I am reliably informed that both of the above will play it.

Cheers

ATI_Dude
01-17-06, 09:07 PM
forceware is 81.98
purevideo is 1.20-185

You still get HW accelleration if the graphics card is a NV4x (excluding GeForce 6800 Ultra/GT AGP) or G7x.

CKS
01-17-06, 10:32 PM
yes I got 6600GT, which should be capable of HD acceleration.

so WMP does not support HD acceleration right now? or the driver doesn't support it yet?

macatak
01-18-06, 12:18 AM
This thread should help....

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51166&highlight=dxva+acceleration

SUMMARY

This update enables Microsoft DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Microsoft Windows Media Video (WMV) content in Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 for video cards when the drivers of those video cards are designed to take advantage of this feature.

MORE INFORMATION

Note This fix enables DXVA support after you meet the following prerequisites:

• The graphics adaptor must support this DXVA update. For more information, contact the driver vendor for the latest driver that supports DXVA.
• You must install hotfix 891122. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
891122 Update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players
• The content must be WMV-HD (Windows Media Video High Definition) clips (720p and 1080p) with a frame rate that is less than or equal to 30 frames per second.

j0j081
01-18-06, 03:17 AM
Spend a little bit more and get WinDVD or Power DVD. Much better than WMP.

I don't have any hd-wmv but I am reliably informed that both of the above will play it.

Cheers
actually from the reviews i read a few months back purevideo has the best picture quality even though it uses wmp for playback.

CKS
01-18-06, 03:33 AM
1. 6600GT with latest forceware 81.98 fulfill the first condition I think.

2. yes the hotfix is installed

3. step into the liquid is 1080i, less than 30fps I believe.

and still I am getting more than 90% cpu load on a 2.4Ghz Athlon(2500+ 1.866 Ghz overclocked)

F_L_C
01-18-06, 03:46 AM
forceware is 81.98
purevideo is 1.20-185

Fortunataly, you have a card that is not crippled (like mine) and is able to accelerate WMV-HD. You don't need the Purevideo codec for WMV-HD hardware acceleration. And you don't even need to apply those WMP patches. You should see lower CPU usage even with older builds of WMP.

As Sharangad posted previously, the Purevideo DVD codec will only kick in when MPEG2 (DVD or ripped-DVD on disk) is played. The tray icon will not pop up when any other format is played. When you play WMV-HD, you're using the built-in WMV codec, not the Purevideo codec.

Edit: and still I am getting more than 90% cpu load

Make sure your WMP advanced setting is set to "use high quality mode". If it still doesn't work, then you're one of the few 6600GT owners with a crippled Purevideo OVP, like all of us 6800 owners.

macatak
01-18-06, 05:31 AM
I've read of a few 6600GT owners who are having similar problems with the later drivers, you may have to try older drivers, like 7x.xx.

sharangad
01-18-06, 08:09 AM
1. 6600GT with latest forceware 81.98 fulfill the first condition I think.

2. yes the hotfix is installed

3. step into the liquid is 1080i, less than 30fps I believe.

and still I am getting more than 90% cpu load on a 2.4Ghz Athlon(2500+ 1.866 Ghz overclocked)

The AGP 6600 GT has had WMV HD decoding disabled since the 80 series drivers. If you want to see WMV HD decoding actually working, you need to use something like 78.01. ( 78.05 was the last to support it and 67.03 the first. ). If you look in the release notes for the first 80 series driver release, y ou'll find it something like "Audio sync issues with AGP Geforce 6 and FX card with WMV HD with the Microsoft patch. This only occurred in VMR mode and not in ovelay mode. Basically what they've done is disable VMR for WMV HD. You can tell because even if WMP10 is set to use VMR HQ mode, the colours look like 'tis running on the hardware overlay.

The reason they disabled it was because there were audio sync issues with slower CPUs ( less than 3 GHz clock speed ). An ATi X700 card suffered from the same problem according to one review I saw, though a beta driver did fix it for them.

When the bit-tech announcement about H264 decoding came out, the article claimed that VC-1 ( WMV ) would be accelerated again across all AGP and PCI-E cards. I think it would be best if nVidia did their own WMV decoder using the card's hardware, as a PureVideo add on pack for the existing MPEG-2/AC-3/DTS/PLII decoder, adding MWV/WMA and H264/AAC.

sharangad
01-18-06, 08:14 AM
Make sure your WMP advanced setting is set to "use high quality mode". If it still doesn't work, then you're one of the few 6600GT owners with a crippled Purevideo OVP, like all of us 6800 owners.

There were no 6600 Gt owners with a crippled video processor. That was limited to the NV40 ( 6800 U, GT and vanilla ). Later revision PCI-E 6800 vanillas were based on a native PCI-E part and could support WMV HD.

If you look at this chart, you can see what cards support what:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

As you can see all 6600 GTs support everything the 7 series do. In fact on AGP, 'tis the only card to support all the features. ( There is a mislabelled heading in the AGP table. It says "High Definition Content" twice instead of "Resolution independent" the second time. )

SimFan
01-18-06, 09:55 AM
Oh sorry post removed, issue was already handled on other forum page.

CKS
01-19-06, 01:29 AM
thanks for the information guys, I'll downgrade to 7x.xx series when I have time then.

this should be a sticky.

CKS
01-20-06, 02:57 AM
if I downgrade forceware to 78.05, do I also have to downgrade purevideo and wdm driver?

sharangad
01-20-06, 08:36 AM
if I downgrade forceware to 78.05, do I also have to downgrade purevideo and wdm driver?

No to PureVideo, not sure about the WDM driver though. I suspect it'll be alright.

F_L_C
01-24-06, 02:08 PM
You can trick it into decoding AC-3 included with AVI files and so on, but to do that you need to remove all othe AC-3 codecs.

What needs to be done, exactly? I've tried unregistering all other AC3 decoders on my system and I still can't get ZP to use the NV audio decoder with AC3 encoded AVIs. It won't even work with WMP.

sharangad
01-24-06, 05:17 PM
What needs to be done, exactly? I've tried unregistering all other AC3 decoders on my system and I still can't get ZP to use the NV audio decoder with AC3 encoded AVIs. It won't even work with WMP.

You need a AC-3/DTS transform filter to connect the avi's audio stream to the decoder:

http://inmatrix.hoyty.com/mirror/ac3xform.exe

You can read all about it here:

http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/ac3.shtml

However, even though the nVidia audio decoder is being used, the tray icon won't pop up. This is because the system tray icon only pops up when the video decoder is being used. How do you know the nVidia decoder is being used? 'tis because all the other AC-3 decoders have been uninstalled.

Make sure you've set yer speaker mode correctly with another clip which plays back with the PureVideo decoder as you won't be able to change speaker settings while playing back an AVI. You can only get 5.1 channel sound with an AVI and the nVidia codec with WMP.

After playing back the AVI, you need to reselect yer speaker settings with another clip as playing back the AC-3 AVI would've screwed up the speaker settings for subsequent playback of material normally played with the PureVideo decoder.

sharangad
01-24-06, 05:50 PM
Oops! Double post

F_L_C
01-24-06, 08:05 PM
Goodness gracious, I might as well just stick with the Nero decoder if I have to go through all that crap.

Note that not all decoders actually need the XForm filter (For example, the NVIDIA NVDVD filters have internal XForm filter)

According to that, NV audio needs no XForm. Or is that referring to an old decoder (as opposed to the one in build 185)?

You can only get 5.1 channel sound with an AVI and the nVidia codec with WMP

Not that I would ever use WMP to play anything, but that's what I was expecting to happen (ie SPDIF passthrough to my z-5500). But, like ZP, I got no sound whatsoever. I assumed it was because the source was not DVD (even though WMP is DD certified).

sharangad
01-25-06, 03:41 PM
Goodness gracious, I might as well just stick with the Nero decoder if I have to go through all that crap.
[\QUOTE]

Yeah it does seriously suck. nVidia needs to get their act together. I have tested it. I own copies of PowerDVD, WinDVD and the nVidia decoder and have found PowerDVD to be the best of the three. The new WinDVD is quite nice as well. At one point I had all three installed. I use the PowerDVD codecs with Zoom Player. The only disadvantage is that the nVidia codecs are the only things which can playback HD MPEG-2 at the moment. But the nVidia codecs have lots of issues.

[QUOTE]
According to that, NV audio needs no XForm. Or is that referring to an old decoder (as opposed to the one in build 185)?
[\QUOTE]

That's referring to the older nVDVD decoder.

[QUOTE]
Not that I would ever use WMP to play anything, but that's what I was expecting to happen (ie SPDIF passthrough to my z-5500). But, like ZP, I got no sound whatsoever. I assumed it was because the source was not DVD (even though WMP is DD certified).

You need to set yer nVidia decoder to SPDIF mode and then playback through the app. Also if you use SPDIF, the speaker settings mode being lost doesn't apply to you. 'twill work fine everytime as long as you use 2 speaker or SPDIF mode.

Even though everyone says PureVideo has ace decoding quality, my experience is that pure software DVD decode with things like PowerDVD actually has much better picture quality although at higher CPU utilisation.

F_L_C
01-25-06, 06:03 PM
I own copies of PowerDVD, WinDVD and the nVidia decoder and have found PowerDVD to be the best of the three.

I've tried all those as well, along with Nero and DScaler. With respect to DVD film PQ, I have to say: NV > DScaler > WinDVD > PowerDVD > Nero. NV and DScaler are so close. WinDVD is also slightly better than PowerDVD. The absolute worst is Nero, without question.

You need to set yer nVidia decoder to SPDIF mode and then playback through the app.

Yeah, that's what I had it set to. But I guess even with the certified WMP, the XForm thing needs to be installed.

Even though everyone says PureVideo has ace decoding quality, my experience is that pure software DVD decode with things like PowerDVD actually has much better picture quality although at higher CPU utilisation.

CPU usage with DVD decoding is pretty much irrelevent with current hardware. Hell, it was never that big of an issue even when CPUs weren't multi-GHz. That is, of course, until you throw some ffdshow post-processing into the chain.

sharangad
01-26-06, 04:19 AM
CPU usage with DVD decoding is pretty much irrelevent with current hardware. Hell, it was never that big of an issue even when CPUs weren't multi-GHz. That is, of course, until you throw some ffdshow post-processing into the chain.

I dunno. With some of the MPEG-2 HD stuff on the web, the CPU usage does hit 100%. With the nVidia codec, everything plays back as smooth as butter at below 50% utilisation.

There're even 1080p HD AC-3 films ripped off D-VHS, which doesn't have any of this HDCP malarkey.