PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered an X-Fi, doubts?

Roliath
01-17-06, 06:18 PM
I just ordered an X-Fi XM, and i'm having some doubts as if it will really be that much better than my Audigy 2 ZS.

Main reason for ordering was for BF2 but will it really sound that much better? I have also heard of some conflicts between nF4 boards and X-Fi's, is this something I should really be concerned about? Also I have my ZS connected to my HK reciever via Coax, I have been told that the X-Fi doesn't have coax out. Is there truth behind this?

keith33
01-17-06, 06:45 PM
I went from an A2ZS to an X-Fi and this thing DOMINATES life. It's amazing, everything sounds much sharper and clearer. The positional in BF2 is far superior to that of anything else. I'm pwning n00bs much more due to the amazing positional audio in source. The music sounds like I got a new set of mp3s because the Crystalizer makes them A LOT better. You won't regret this for a moment after you hear it for the first time. The X-Fi XM however doesn't have coax out. :(

Roadhog
01-17-06, 06:56 PM
yep, X-Fi > ***

einstein_314
01-17-06, 06:56 PM
You will not be dissapointed. I love mine. I too had doubts to whether I would hear a difference. When I first hooked it up, it blew me away. Everything is so crisp. BF2 is amazing. Music sounds awesome. Especially with the crystallizer. Make sure you read Superklye's X-fi guide he wrote a couple of days ago, it's pretty good to get you started. And as keith pointed out, no the XM version doesn't have coax out. To get that you need the front bay which has coax in and out on it.

Regarding the NF4 issues, I've had none. Worked first time I plugged it in. Make sure you uninstall the Audigy2ZS drivers first. Then power off, remove Audigy2, insert X-Fi, boot up and install drivers. That's all I did and it worked first time. I was forseeing having huge problems but it went smoothly.

superklye
01-17-06, 06:58 PM
You are going to get your ass kicked by the X-Fi. And I had an error where my computer wouldn't post with the CPU frequency at 250, but it was fine at 249 after installing the X-Fi. I've since put it back to 250 and it's working just fine now, so I dunno.

Otherwise, no, no problems at all.

Roliath
01-17-06, 08:29 PM
You are going to get your ass kicked by the X-Fi. And I had an error where my computer wouldn't post with the CPU frequency at 250, but it was fine at 249 after installing the X-Fi. I've since put it back to 250 and it's working just fine now, so I dunno.

Otherwise, no, no problems at all.
Very odd...
Well it should be here by saturday, so we'll see how it turns out.

jAkUp
01-17-06, 08:56 PM
I also went from a ZS to an X-Fi, huge boost in overall quality.

newls1
01-18-06, 05:33 AM
Some advice if you want it. I had 4 different XF-I cards (2 xtrememusics, and 2 platniums) All of which had the NF4 bug. I went through 2 weeks of figuring this out with creatives crappy "LEVEL 3" tech support, untill I was told the ultimate answer. When you get your card read the serial number, DIGIT's 9, 10, 11 have to be higher that 5 4 1. If you get a card that is this number OR LOWER, dont even waste yor time installing it, it WILL BORK your POST....... Hope this helps you....

ynnek
01-18-06, 11:07 AM
thread highjack, but did you just get yourself a new "LS1", as in a GM's pushrod v8?

Roliath
01-19-06, 05:33 PM
Well it came in, and first and foremost....WOW!!!
This thing sounds way better than the Audigy!
Now to go off and test BF2!

jAkUp
01-19-06, 05:36 PM
I told you it was better! :D Wait till you try BF2 on Ultra quality sound :D Amazing.

Roliath
01-19-06, 06:36 PM
Just did a quick single player match, and man its like another game!
The sound is soo much better, I can hardly explain it.
I can tell where everything is in the environment; enemies, tanks, gun fire...simply amazing!

Roadhog
01-19-06, 07:10 PM
I just tried BF2 on ultra.. and omg.. it sounds like your actually in a battle..

Although, why cant i chose X-Fi in the sound options? I have to pick hardware instead. It says like its not compatible and I dont have an X-fi?

CaptNKILL
01-19-06, 07:32 PM
I just tried BF2 on ultra.. and omg.. it sounds like your actually in a battle..

Although, why cant i chose X-Fi in the sound options? I have to pick hardware instead. It says like its not compatible and I dont have an X-fi?
I noticed mine was reset to hardware\high the other day. I dont know what causes this.

Is your creative panel set to "game mode"? If not, thats probably what it is. You lose EAX 5 (and maybe 4) support if you arent in game mode. Dont ask me why :p

Roadhog
01-19-06, 07:34 PM
oh are you serious? I dont like game mode, make a slight hissing sound at high volume...

superklye
01-19-06, 09:59 PM
Yeah, game mode is the only mode that any support for EAX over 3.0.

Aphot
01-25-06, 07:11 PM
X-Fi > anything ive ever used.

superklye
01-25-06, 07:12 PM
X-Fi > anything ive ever used.
I couldn't agree more with that statement or the one under your username.

OWA
01-25-06, 07:15 PM
Yeah, game mode is the only mode that any support for EAX over 3.0.
Yeah, that has caught me more than I'd like to admit. I'll change the mode and then forget about it.

Roliath
01-25-06, 09:53 PM
Yeah, that has caught me more than I'd like to admit. I'll change the mode and then forget about it.
I have noticed that when I open winamp of Divx Player it changes the mode to entertainment automatically. But i have to manually change it to Game mode when I go play a game.

YOGIx213
01-26-06, 02:20 AM
Wow, all this time I thought the difference you hear (as opposed to the specs on paper) wasn't going to be much, but based on all of the praise from everyone here, I think I'll pick one up. Is there much of a difference with the music edition as opposed to the other ones? The Xfi music is much cheaper than the others so I want to know if I'll be missing much.

superklye
01-26-06, 07:36 AM
Well the difference between the XTREMEMUSIC and Platinum is that the Platinum has the 5.25" drive bay attachment and a remote. Otherwise, the cards are identical.

The Fatal1ty is the exact same package as the Platinum, but it's got 64MB of X-RAM, the Elite Pro has higher quality DACs, a breakout box (very close to the size of a set-top DVD player) and remote as well as 64MB X-RAM.

Between the lower three models, there is no difference in the quality of sound. The Elite Pro is supposed to sound better, do the professional quality DACs, but having nothing to compare to, I'm not exactly sure how much, if any, better it sounds.