PDA

View Full Version : I love this X-Fi, but I would kill these drivers if possible

superklye
01-17-06, 08:59 PM
So I had to reinstall Windows and finally got it all up and running (after three installs because the nFORCE drivers would NOT install the ethernet drivers to save my life...but anyway, that's a different story).

Now, I installed the X-Fi drivers, but something happened, I don't remember what and the install kind of froze and then crashed. Everything seemed to be in place, all the driver components worked, but weird things were happening. The volume control icon by the clock was showing up with a small red X on it, my settings weren't being saved on restarts and there were dll crashes often when I shut down the PC.

So I decided tonight to uninstall the drivers and do it again.

Well, that has proved to be the dumbest thing I've ever done. First of all, the only way to uninstall these POS drivers is by putting in the disc (and sitting through that God damned splash screen I don't even know how many times) and uninstalling from there.

Well, I guess that doesn't get everything, because I tried to reinstall them shortly thereafter, and they froze at 27%. It sat there for an hour. So I three-fingered it, restarted, uninstalled and tried again. Same thing.

Fine. I went to get the web drivers. Great, they installed no problem, but none of the features from the disc drivers were there. The volume control and all those nice extras (I like them, I know others don't) don't come with the web drivers.

So I unistalled those and deleted EVERYTHING related to Creative from the HDD and tried again.

The drivers have been sitting at 27% for the last 10 minutes now and I am so close to throwing my computer through the window, I can't even tell you.

Is there anything else I can/should do in order to COMPLETELY get the Creative drivers off my system? That's the only thing I can think of that is causing a problem, since I've never had a problem installing the drivers before; there must be some remnants that are gumming things up or something. GRR! THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!

Roadhog
01-17-06, 09:07 PM
Never had a problem with the drivers...

CaptNKILL
01-17-06, 09:48 PM
Anyone know if Driver Cleaner can clean X-Fi Drivers? Im pretty sure it can do Creative drivers in general... it might be worth a try kyle. Google it.

superklye
01-17-06, 10:16 PM
I got it working...it was the Entertainment Center that kept causing it to freeze up. I installed everything but that and tried to get it to install on its own and it won't.

I run the setup.exe and it crashes immediately saying there was an error and to:
Close any running programs
Empty temporary folder
Check internet connection

Well, I close everything except the vital Windows services, I cleared all the temp folders I know of and I'm posting this right now...so I don't know what the hell is wrong with this thing. I don't really ever use it, so I guess it's okay, but I wanted to do an expanded review of it as well and it looks like the only way that's going to happen is if I reformat. And I really don't have the stomach or the nerves to do that again for a long, LONG time.

superklye
01-17-06, 10:23 PM
Wow. I can't do anything with the drivers. Whenever I try to open anything it says "no audio device installed."

Un****ingbelievable. Creative has got the worst drivers EVER. I am so close to going outside with a baseball bat and just hitting a tree until I collapse from exhaustion. I don't know what went wrong in the first place or why it is still so ****ed up, but this is unbelievable and completely unforgivable.

Sidric
01-17-06, 10:31 PM
I had a problem like that before when I first got the card. Absolute pain in the ass I know, so I have this niftly little prog called Registry Mechanic to handle issues like this. It basically goes through your entire registry and purges anything redundant, left behind, or malicious that it finds. I had it do a full scan twice just to make sure, then I installed the software/drivers off the CD and updated them from the web. Never had a problem since.

Go to pctools.com if you want to try out the prog, unfortunately its a try before you buy type deal, but I can tell you from experience that it has cured so many headaches that it is more than worth the price of admission.

Q
01-17-06, 10:36 PM
Wow. I can't do anything with the drivers. Whenever I try to open anything it says "no audio device installed."

Un****ingbelievable. Creative has got the worst drivers EVER. I am so close to going outside with a baseball bat and just hitting a tree until I collapse from exhaustion. I don't know what went wrong in the first place or why it is still so ****ed up, but this is unbelievable and completely unforgivable.

But just think...

You got a GREAT deal on the card!!!! :D

After all of your praising over the past few months, you've made me regret selling the thing. I've been so tempted a few times to buy another.

Thank you for this sobering reality check. It took HOW long for Creative to make decent Audigy drivers? I know, we're still waiting...but it will happen one day, I promise. ;)

Do a complete uninstall from the disk in safe mode. Reboot to normal mode and uninstall the device in system properties if its recognized. Pull the card out. Reboot to normal mode again, then restart in safemode. Run driver cleaner. Restart to normal, shutdown. Insert card. Reboot in normal and install it again.

Then again...it might just be picky about the order of drivers installed on your system. Ah, the glory days of random device incompatibility due to driver order-of-installation have returned.

The rapture. :(

Zerocool
01-17-06, 11:39 PM
Make sure you have power going to both pci card and the bay unit. I was having the same problem only at like 70ish percent, it was cause I only had 1 pluged in with power (just like the manual says). But I went on the forums and the mod was saying to have both with power. Hope that helps you.

Also didnt seem to like the very bottom pci slot on my board.

Rakeesh
01-18-06, 12:06 AM
It is a shame that the soundcard market sucks so bad when compared to the video card market.

superklye
01-18-06, 12:48 AM
Make sure you have power going to both pci card and the bay unit. I was having the same problem only at like 70ish percent, it was cause I only had 1 pluged in with power (just like the manual says). But I went on the forums and the mod was saying to have both with power. Hope that helps you.

Also didnt seem to like the very bottom pci slot on my board.
The card has worked fine before for the last two months, until I reinstalled Windows on Sunday. It's not a power issue. It's the crappy drivers not installing because they crashed.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, Qlitch, but I just said "eff it" and reinstalled Windows. It was a 2 day old install, so it's not like I lost anything...except 2 hours of reinstalling EVERYTHING again. God damn, this is so annoying.

But it's working now, everything installed fine and I'm not reinstalling Windows again until Vista comes out. I've had it with this.

Thanks for the help guys.

And for the record, Creative's drivers are great...when they work. When they don't: it's a nightmare worse than Hell.

Superfly
01-18-06, 07:13 AM
First of all, the only way to uninstall these POS drivers is by putting in the disc (and sitting through that God damned splash screen I don't even know how many times) and uninstalling from there.

you can use Add-Remove programs in combination with the WDM uninstaller

Well, I guess that doesn't get everything, because I tried to reinstall them shortly thereafter, and they froze at 27%. It sat there for an hour. So I three-fingered it, restarted, uninstalled and tried again. Same thing.

Fine. I went to get the web drivers. Great, they installed no problem, but none of the features from the disc drivers were there. The volume control and all those nice extras (I like them, I know others don't) don't come with the web drivers.

So I unistalled those and deleted EVERYTHING related to Creative from the HDD and tried again.

The drivers have been sitting at 27% for the last 10 minutes now and I am so close to throwing my computer through the window, I can't even tell you.

Is there anything else I can/should do in order to COMPLETELY get the Creative drivers off my system? That's the only thing I can think of that is causing a problem, since I've never had a problem installing the drivers before; there must be some remnants that are gumming things up or something. GRR! THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!

Clean sweap is your friend:

linkage: http://ask.americas.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=ww_english,Company={CEAE216D-8719-4C00-AC9F-03BC258F7B70},VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com,case=1712

superklye
01-18-06, 10:01 AM
Add-Remove programs only had the Creative Toolbox, Creative System Information and maybe the MediaSource stuff (I didn't install that stuff this time because I realized it did nothing for me but take up resources).

I uninstalled all that stuff originally, thinking that was the drivers (but still wondering where the rest of the software suite was) and put the disc back in to reinstall and that's where I saw that the only way to really uninstall everything was with their installer.

Meh, whatever. Everything is fine now and it will stay this way...or else... :firedevil

Superfly
01-18-06, 11:14 AM
glad its sorted.

superklye
01-18-06, 12:49 PM
glad its sorted.
Same. The only reason I didn't throw this card against the wall last night (besides the fact I paid $330 for it) is because it rocks so hard.

You should get another, Qlitch. You're missing out BIG TIME.

Q
01-18-06, 02:19 PM
Same. The only reason I didn't throw this card against the wall last night (besides the fact I paid $330 for it) is because it rocks so hard.

You should get another, Qlitch. You're missing out BIG TIME.

I'm tempted....big time. The only thing is, I dont really NEED the break out box....but I want the extra memory AND the higher quality DAC's on the Elite Pro. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Plus, after purchasing the 4800x2 and the 7800 Gtx...and 2 gigs of memory... I'm not quite ready for another upgrade.

superklye
01-18-06, 03:02 PM
I used to think you were a man...

Superfly
01-18-06, 03:03 PM
lol

p0werful1
01-20-06, 01:10 AM
I have to agree that Creative does make world's worst driver as a major producer. I hate the way they did with their drivers from Audigy1.

AthlonXP1800
01-24-06, 02:16 AM
I have to agree that Creative does make world's worst driver as a major producer. I hate the way they did with their drivers from Audigy1.

I disagreed with your comment probably because I didnt had a single problem with Creative Audigy drivers.

CaptNKILL
01-24-06, 09:55 AM
I disagreed with your comment probably because I didnt had a single problem with Creative Audigy drivers.
I havent had any problems with my x-fi drivers. The old SB100 Live! 5.1 cards were horrible though. They were released OEM and you cannot find drivers for them online. I think they might work in XP but all other OSes are screwed... they are pretty much useless if you dont have an XP system to put it in. Thats the one thing that soured my taste for Creative drivers.

AthlonXP1800
01-24-06, 11:16 AM
I havent had any problems with my x-fi drivers. The old SB100 Live! 5.1 cards were horrible though. They were released OEM and you cannot find drivers for them online. I think they might work in XP but all other OSes are screwed... they are pretty much useless if you dont have an XP system to put it in. Thats the one thing that soured my taste for Creative drivers.

:lol: That cant be true, I found Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 drivers for Win 95/98/98SE/Me here (http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?sOSName=Windows+98SE&region=3&Product_Name=Live%21+5.1&Product_ID=50&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=3&drivertype=0&x=29&y=6) and of course it will worked with OEM. I got plain white boxed Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic OEM card and it worked fine with the new driver downloaded from Creative site.

sharangad
01-24-06, 04:56 PM
:lol: That cant be true, I found Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 drivers for Win 95/98/98SE/Me here (http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?sOSName=Windows+98SE&region=3&Product_Name=Live%21+5.1&Product_ID=50&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=3&drivertype=0&x=29&y=6) and of course it will worked with OEM. I got plain white boxed Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic OEM card and it worked fine with the new driver downloaded from Creative site.

There're different grades of OEM. Some of 'em are the same card. For instance I bought an OEM Live! 5.1 and 'twas a SB0060 or something like taht which was identical to the retail pack and all the official drivers worked.

However, Dell released a Live! 5.1 SB0100 and an SB0220 or something like that which to this day won't work with the installer executable, but, if the installer cabinet is extracted into a folder, the driver INF files and all are there and can be installed using device manger.

As for the Windows '98 drivers, they won't work at all since the driver INFs for Windows '98 were last released years before the Dell OEMs came out and the drivers won't have a clue what the cards are.

CaptNKILL
01-24-06, 05:38 PM
There're different grades of OEM. Some of 'em are the same card. For instance I bought an OEM Live! 5.1 and 'twas a SB0060 or something like taht which was identical to the retail pack and all the official drivers worked.

However, Dell released a Live! 5.1 SB0100 and an SB0220 or something like that which to this day won't work with the installer executable, but, if the installer cabinet is extracted into a folder, the driver INF files and all are there and can be installed using device manger.

As for the Windows '98 drivers, they won't work at all since the driver INFs for Windows '98 were last released years before the Dell OEMs came out and the drivers won't have a clue what the cards are.
Yep, exactly. They made at least 3 totaly different Live! chips, and one of them has ZERO driver support... unfortunately, that was the one I bought from NewEgg.com several years ago. Big mistake :(

They did give me driver CDs with it, but I leant the 98 driver CD out to someone long ago to get theirs working (which came with NO cds) and I havent gotten that CD back so I cannot use that card in 9x at all :thumbdwn: .