PDA

View Full Version : Best wireless routers?

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
01-18-06, 08:22 AM
I'm going to be moving in the next couple months, and I'll finally be able to have a high-speed connection that doesn't have to be shared with another person.

I want to have a wireless router set up where I would connect my PC directly to it in my upstairs bedroom, then have the ability to use an Xbox 360, which would be placed downstairs. As such, I need something that can provide good signal strength even through walls. I also want something that's easy to set up and configure, prefereably through a Web-based interface. Price isn't really that much of an issue, though I'd like to keep it at less than $150.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

darkrider01
01-18-06, 09:46 AM
I don't know about the best, but I have a D-link DI-624M and it has been spectacular. I personally like the D-Link web interface and I think that it is easy to use. The router itself supports up to 802.11g (Super G also 108mbps) and has MIMO technology. I picked it up at OfficeMAX during a sale for $50. As far as range goes, my house is a 2 story home. I have a garage on the left side with a bonus room above. The router is in the bonus room. I have taken my laptop all over the house and I get a good signal everywhere.

Starscream
01-18-06, 10:30 AM
I've sold tons and tons of Linksys WRT54G's. They seem to work very nicely.

Although I've been reading a lot of people don't like the latest revision of it.

saturnotaku
01-18-06, 11:02 AM

Although I've been reading a lot of people don't like the latest revision of it.

That's one thing I'm afraid of. My girlfriend and roommate have one of those, and sometimes it will drop their connection for no obvious reason. Right now I have a WMP54GS PCI card in my rig and have no complaints, but the trouble she has with that router makes me wary of it. It's not her wireless NIC because it works perfectly fine on my current wireless network (Apple Airport Extreme).

Does anyone know much about these D-Link gaming routers? Newegg has them for about $115 and I'd be curious to know if they offer any appreciable advantages over a standard 802.11g/Xtreme-G router.

SignorSalad
01-20-06, 12:49 PM
That's one thing I'm afraid of. My girlfriend and roommate have one of those, and sometimes it will drop their connection for no obvious reason. Right now I have a WMP54GS PCI card in my rig and have no complaints, but the trouble she has with that router makes me wary of it. It's not her wireless NIC because it works perfectly fine on my current wireless network (Apple Airport Extreme).

Does anyone know much about these D-Link gaming routers? Newegg has them for about $115 and I'd be curious to know if they offer any appreciable advantages over a standard 802.11g/Xtreme-G router.

I have a wap54g linksys attached to a wired switch -> cable modem, and its never dropped a connection. Signal strength is great throughout my house, and I have the access point in one of the farthest corners where our office is. With the latest firmware it supports WPA/AES also. I know you are looking for a router instead of an access point, but I'm very happy with the wap54g.

npras42
01-20-06, 01:06 PM

I have a fairly old revision WAG54G (ADSL Modem, Wireless Router - UK rev.1) and it has had numerous troubles. Most importantly wireless disconnection, which cant be fixed without going to the router and switching it on and off. Same prob with numerous firmwares.

I have another friend with a newer revision (the one with two antennae), and his won't port forward properly. It will configure but then act like nothing has been done

I do know a couple of people with perfectly fine ones.

I would personally never go Linksys/Cisco again. Though from what I can tell they are the best selling so you would assume they are doing something right.

I also know a few people with Netgear routers, which I actually recommended to them. They are a little more complex, but I think for anyone who's remotely computer savvy, then it will be fine. These routers have been excellent, and I can actually get a signal (a Low one at 5.5Mbs) from directly across the road at my friends house. The others I know with them also say they have been excellent.

saturnotaku
01-20-06, 01:14 PM
I would personally never go Linksys/Cisco again. Though from what I can tell they are the best selling so you would assume they are doing something right.

Yeah, go figure. I do like the wireless card I have because I can install the drivers for it without having to add any additional software. It integrates perfectly with XP's built-in configruation utility. My gf's D-Link card needs the software installed in order to work properly.

So Netgear is that good? I'll have to research them a little more. I have some time to play with as I'm not moving until April, but it's good to at least have a base to work from.

Banko
01-20-06, 01:15 PM

They used to be good, but like you said DON'T buy the latest revision which is all there is now. It doesn't use Linux anymore it drops connections, and is utter crap.

npras42
01-20-06, 01:23 PM
Yeah, go figure. I do like the wireless card I have because I can install the drivers for it without having to add any additional software. It integrates perfectly with XP's built-in configruation utility. My gf's D-Link card needs the software installed in order to work properly.

So Netgear is that good? I'll have to research them a little more. I have some time to play with as I'm not moving until April, but it's good to at least have a base to work from.

Yeah, I have a Linksys wireless card too, and you're right, they have no issues at all. Good, solid and no bloat.

For once (I really wouldn't recommend for most items as the general public can be a idiots) take a look at User Reviews from the retail vendors website for various brands. Out of all components I've never seen anything quite as problematic as wireless routers. Chronic Wireless disconnections and/or ADSL disconnections occur a lot. But you'll see some are better than others.

Tr1cK
01-20-06, 01:41 PM
My DLink DI-624 rev C works flawlessly. I have a wireless DLink NIC downstairs in my HTPC and never have connection issues. It connects in the super G mode @ 108mbps.

pkirby11
01-20-06, 03:35 PM
Dlink DGL-4300, very nice routers. Not sure about the wireless capability's since I don't own the 4300. I have the Dlink DGL-4100, same router minus wireless. Great routers, love mine ever since I bought it one year ago.

crainger
01-21-06, 03:30 AM
I love my Netgear router. The dynamic dns feature really comes in handy for my less than user friendly ISP.

evilchris
01-21-06, 05:05 AM
Get a Cisco 1121G. Netgear/Linksys/D-Link is all crap. Get something you can actually program.

Delbert
01-21-06, 05:26 AM
I use the netgear DG834G. Was pretty ropey until the latest firmware. Now, perfect. But get an external booster antenna (something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=15393821231&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=75614 )... and connect it to the PC end... boosted my signal strength by 200%... 54Mbps through 2 internal and one external (double thickness ) wall ( got the setup in a garage conversion :D )
Hope the move goes well.

pkirby11
01-21-06, 06:51 AM
Get a Cisco 1121G. Netgear/Linksys/D-Link is all crap. Get something you can actually program.

There's a great suggestion if I ever heard one!! :D Not really, paying all that money for a router that reuires CCNA knowledge is not very smart if you ask me, which I know you weren't but I thought I'd throw it in any ways. Maybe you were joking, but Cisco routers IMHO are cluttered archaic systems. Yes programings good, but for god sakes does it have to be so cluttered.

(Sorry, I'll shut up now. Just got done with two cisco classes last semester, and I'm still bitter. I passed, I just think the whole command line input is crappy. :D )

crainger
01-21-06, 08:10 AM
There's a great suggestion if I ever heard one!! :D Not really, paying all that money for a router that reuires CCNA knowledge is not very smart if you ask me, which I know you weren't but I thought I'd throw it in any ways. Maybe you were joking, but Cisco routers IMHO are cluttered archaic systems. Yes programings good, but for god sakes does it have to be so cluttered.

(Sorry, I'll shut up now. Just got done with two cisco classes last semester, and I'm still bitter. I passed, I just think the whole command line input is crappy. :D )

QFT

saturnotaku
03-14-06, 08:22 AM
Hate to bump an older thread like this, but I've got my choices narrowed down to a couple D-Link models. I'm looking at the DI-624 and DI-634M. I like D-Link's routers because they look easy to set up, are rated pretty highly and are advertised as Xbox Live compatible. The 634M seems to rate higher among users and review sites, but it's also more expensive. Any insights on these two? I was looking at the DGL-4300 but it's a bit too pricey.

Linksys reviews are all over the map, plus they change their revisions a lot and in many cases "new" versions are significant downgrades.

nV`andrew
03-14-06, 10:33 AM
anything from Linksys... i can get 54mbps from anywhere in the house through many walls and TV's etc. very very easy to setup, easy to troubleshoot. On a side note, the speed boosted routers are no use unless you have that company's compatible wireless network card etc. in your PC, which you won't need for your xbox. i would just go with the d-link that has the best revies or if you know that its been tested with xbox

nrs421
03-14-06, 10:43 AM
well i have this (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WPN824.php) and i really like it because of it's range....my desktop is one floor above and the signal quality is great...they have a newer model (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WPNT834.php) as well

einstein_314
03-14-06, 07:40 PM
I've got a Dlink DI-624 Rev C and it's great. I've had no problems with it. My two room mates are connected wirelessly with dlink wireless NIC cards and are connected at 108 mbps all the time and my computer is hard wired to it. And it's extremely easy to set up and the interface is great.

evilchris
03-14-06, 08:15 PM

Cisco IOS is the most flowing, well thought out Internetwork OS ever conceived. CLI is the only way to go. Web based routers are toys. CLI does seperate guys who are worth their salt from box checkers, though. You can't configure a router correctly using a GUI. "Checking a box" fires off numerous commands to a router of which you cannot fine tune.

saturnotaku
03-14-06, 08:31 PM
Cisco IOS is the most flowing, well thought out Internetwork OS ever conceived. CLI is the only way to go. Web based routers are toys. CLI does seperate guys who are worth their salt from box checkers, though. You can't configure a router correctly using a GUI. "Checking a box" fires off numerous commands to a router of which you cannot fine tune.

And they also cost in excess of $300. I'll take my chances that the old ladies who are my neighbors won't be h4X0Ring into my network, thanks.

nas82
03-14-06, 08:50 PM
And they also cost in excess of $300. I'll take my chances that the old ladies who are my neighbors won't be h4X0Ring into my network, thanks.

Here you go bub.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4070321

This is an excellent wireless router which will work with your xbox since it has the same chipset as d-links gamer fuel routers. Except this router is much more mature and stable and the price is excellent.

betterdan
03-14-06, 09:12 PM
I recommend Netgear also. I first had a linksys and it would drop the signal frequently. I took it back and haven't had any problems with the WGR614 Netgear router since 2003 when I bought it and I am still using it today.

WLanMan
03-14-06, 09:17 PM
I'll note that for wireless, the "draft spec 802.11n" waves of equipment will be hitting soon from Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, Cisco, Apple, etc. So if you want almost-interoperable range/tput, wait for it. The current crop of anything that says MIMO does NOT have a number of (hardware-level) features that are mandatory for 11n draft spec interoperation... so don't be fooled by upgradability claims. Then there will be another wave of real 11n equipment a year from now... and who knows whether all this draft 11n equipment will be upgradable to that point.

That said, my current two favorite routers are the
1) DLink Gaming router for his ability to prioritize gaming packets and
2) the nonwireless, but heavy feature laden Netgear FVS124G which has dual-WLAN ports and 4 gig ether ports.

I have the FVS124G using my DSL for gaming and using MetroWifi's free city wide connection for teamspeak/guest access. Or course, there's also 2 wireless repeaters and wireless AP to make it all happen. Fun. (pirate)