PDA

View Full Version : Fear wont run in SLI anymore

ne0h
01-18-06, 10:57 AM
So while overclocking my video cards and test playing last night I ran into something strange in Fear, after I loaded a saved game, all of the textures (the walls, my gun, the floor) looked like they had a rainbow pattern drawn over them, but the computer didnt lock up, I was able to walk around for a sec like this. I quickly rebooted blaming too high of a clock for the video card, well now I can't even run the game in SLI anymore. I down clocked the cards back to the default values and when I select a saved game to load, it loads everything then at the very end at the loading screen the computer freezes. The wierd thing is when I disable SLI everything runs great, no loading problems or locking up.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, and even reinstalling the game with no effect. I am using the 81.98 x64 drivers. Q4 and HL2 run fine in SLI, so I dont think I burned out one of the cards.

My temps are fine, I run a koolance exos sytem and my temps never get above 45c.

Here is a little info on my system,

athlon 64 4000 @2.6ghz (watercooled)
2gb corsair xms 3500LL
asus a8n32-sli
silverstone zeus 650w supply
2 x eVGA 7800gt (watercooled)
2 x 36gb raptors in raid 0
win xp pro x64

OWA
01-18-06, 11:53 AM
After reloading the game, did you try the same save game or try to start a new game? If you haven't already, I'd try just starting a new game. Maybe something got messed up in the save.

ne0h
01-18-06, 12:00 PM
After reloading the game, did you try the same save game or try to start a new game? If you haven't already, I'd try just starting a new game. Maybe something got messed up in the save.

I did try starting a new game, same thing happened, progress bar got all the way to the end then the computer locked up.

Very strange thing is that I can still run the performance demo, with no problems, its just when I try to actually play the game.

nekrosoft13
01-18-06, 01:00 PM
something like this started happening to me with HL2, it either freezes during load, reboots during load, or crashes the game 5 minutes after.

out of 20-30 games i have installed, HL2 is the only game that does that.

i had this problem ever since i got SLI

CaptNKILL
01-18-06, 01:04 PM
Everyone should reinstall their games. Most games tend to break themselves for no good reason. If youre having a problem, thats usually what it is when its isolated to a single game.

nekrosoft13
01-18-06, 01:17 PM
Everyone should reinstall their games. Most games tend to break themselves for no good reason. If youre having a problem, thats usually what it is when its isolated to a single game.

i reinstalled HL2 and steam at least 4 times since this happen, i also runned the integrity checks on hl2 from steam

ne0h
01-18-06, 01:41 PM

Not only have I reinstalled the game, but I have reinstalled the drivers too. I tried the "approved" eVGA driver on thier website 81.94, and the latest on nvidia.com 81.98 with the same results.

I am really stumped on this one.

CaptNKILL
01-18-06, 01:55 PM
Then Im stumped too :p

Time for a reinstall of windows :)

ne0h
01-18-06, 04:17 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions? Reinstalling windows wasnt really the answer I was looking for.

Sidric
01-21-06, 08:57 AM
Anyone else have any suggestions? Reinstalling windows wasnt really the answer I was looking for.

Its never the answer anyone wants but more often than not it is the only answer to a problem. Tough luck, I know.

CaptNKILL
01-21-06, 02:17 PM
No guarantee that itl do anything, but you can always try a repair installation of windows. Just uninstall your video card drivers (just to be safe). Then on the reboot, boot off of your XP CD. Proceed past the license agreement. When it says it found an old installation of windows, and that it can do a repair installation (NOT the recovery console) just do that.

Itl repair system files without destroying all your stuff. If that doesnt work, then something outside of windows got borked and youll probably have to do a full format\reinstall.

ne0h
01-22-06, 10:32 PM
No guarantee that itl do anything, but you can always try a repair installation of windows. Just uninstall your video card drivers (just to be safe). Then on the reboot, boot off of your XP CD. Proceed past the license agreement. When it says it found an old installation of windows, and that it can do a repair installation (NOT the recovery console) just do that.

Itl repair system files without destroying all your stuff. If that doesnt work, then something outside of windows got borked and youll probably have to do a full format\reinstall.

Being out of all options, I did reinstall the OS. I was running x64, so i switched to XP 32bit just to be sure it wasnt a wierd 64bit thing.

Anyways, it did not help, FEAR is the only game I have that will not run in SLI. But now that I am in 32bit mode it throws the following error

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

I dont think the card is bad, I pulled them both out, re-applied thermal paste, and tested each one individually. Both worked fine by themselves.

I got busy with work after I got that error so I haven't had time to research it or try anything new.

Anyone seen this error before?

airsushi
02-10-06, 05:39 PM
ne0H

I have the exact same problem. I just built a brand new system that has
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB
AMD 64 x2 4400+
2 GB of corsair QVL ram
(2) eVGA 7800 GTX n527
Sound Blaster X-Fi
I did a clean install of Windows XP 32 Home and then installed Windows Updates and all Drivers including newest bios 1009 for MB and newest 81.98 drivers from nVidia. I patched FEAR with 1.02 and in SLI it progresses all the way through the load screen and then freezes and reboots or shows "nv4_disp has stopped working normally". Then I have to manually reboot. After I reboot Widows says it has recovered from a serious error. I send the report and Windows website has no answer. I uninstalled the game and tried again without applying the new patch and it worked off and on for a while. I progressed with saves through some of the game and then it started crashing again with new games and loaded ones. Without SLI it plays new games and loads fine.
I have spoken with tech support via email for the eVGA video cards and they have said the cards are fine and within normal operating temps (actually they said normal is up to 75-95c with the cards auto throttling down @ 115-120c. They directed me to Sierra (makers of FEAR). Sierra had me roll back drivers to 7xxx series, reducing graphic options (I reduced everything to minimum), doing DXDIAG test, game reinstall, etc. I am awaiting their next bright idea which I should get tonight (Friday, Feb 10th, 06). I will repost and let you know. If you need copies of the email tech support just email me and let me know and I will provide (airsushi@mail2world.com).
Meanwhile, Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life 2 including Lost Coast, CSS, and DODS, and Windows XP and everything else I do daily runs fine in SLI mode.
Again the funny thing is like what ne0H said the test function in the FEAR game ITSELF runs PERFECT.
My friend is getting his computer from New Egg tonight (Friday, Feb 10th, 06) with the exact same component setup. I am going to see later tonight if this error is reproducible with the exact same components.
I was even so desperate I have also tried Appling the Windows Dual Core CPU hot fix and then adding the reg-key to see if that would help. It doesn't.

Best of luck, and let me know if anyone hears of anything. :thumbdwn:

Peoples-Agent
02-10-06, 05:47 PM
Here are some tips....

1) If your using a Dual Core CPU, you MUST download the latest driver for it from the AMD website, the original one that installs is well known to cause crashes, such as BSOD.

2) Check for Bios updates for your motherboard, certain boards have had them to address weird SLI issues.

3) There is a known issue with FEAR running in X64 that's going to be addressed in the next patch, it's all over the VU Games forum.

4) X-Fi soundcards have been seen as problematic, but I am told a recent driver update does help to fix some issues, for experiment sake try running the card in a non-X Fi mode if at all possible.

5) With SLI , alot of problems are usually power related. What type of PSU are you using? ....usually, if it works with one card, i'd consider power being the problem.

6) " all of the textures (the walls, my gun, the floor) looked like they had a rainbow pattern drawn over them " .... how far did you push that overclock? You might have fragged one of your cards, by sounds of it the second one.
Install the second card into the first PCI-e slot and then run it, see what happens.

airsushi
02-10-06, 06:09 PM
Peoples-Agent

Can you succesfully run FEAR SLI?

- I have the latest Bios for my MB. Version 1009.
- When you say x64, do you mean the 64 bit version of Windows or a 64
bit processor?
- I will use the onboard sound and see if that solves the issue.
- I am using a Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply that is nVidia
SLI certified. I would think that it might be the power supply
or motherboard or some component problem also except that other
games (Doom 3, Half Life 2 & Lost Coast) work fine in SLI.

Thanks

Peoples-Agent
02-11-06, 06:25 PM
Hmmm ....

Well, I was refering to XP64, that PSU should be fine btw, I had the younger brother version so to speak before I had this one, without any probs.

Out of interest, have you tried swapping the cards around?

My hinkling so far, it's something relating to your soundcard, but that's just a hunch.

rombat
02-14-06, 10:51 AM
Ok guys, I just recently updated my motherboard to a K8N Diamond Plus
basically almost the same motherboard what you guys are using. Installed Xp Pro and loaded up my games, started up Fear and bang same problems. Intro was all messed up walls and floor had wierd colors (I thought my card was fried) but I loaded up HalfLife 2 and it ran perfect? So I did all the stuff you guys tried. I reloaded my video, chipset drivers (6.85 nforce) I than found this thread while trying to find a fix and set my settings in bios to what it said and bang, FEAR worked in sli mode!!! Here is the thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64384&highlight=FEAR

Hope this help! :)

ne0h
02-15-06, 12:53 PM
I swapped out my A8N32-SLI with a new one and all is well now, I am assuming that I somehow currupted the bios or burt something out when i was overclocking my cards and the textures went all screwy, since it was never the same after.

With the new board I was able to overclock my CPU again to 2.65ghz, but I havent touched the GPU clocks at all, I am too afraid that it will burn out again. Oh well, I guess I am stuck at 470/1100 till the 7900's come out. I feel bad for spending $200 on water blocks for both cards now...