PDA

View Full Version : New Antec 550Watt

Assassination
01-18-06, 09:14 PM
I just bought a Antec TruePower 2.0 550 Watt (Server Class Power) PSU. I hooked it up, and the fans spent for like 1/2 second. I tried hitting the power button again, and all I get is nothing then. So I switch the wall sockets and everything and I get the 1/2 second spins again. Does this mean it was DOA? Or what's going on? I bought it because tomorrow I'm supposed to have a BFG 6800 Ultra here. Would the Ultra installed make a difference? I heard I could be feeding my sytem too much juice (best buy guy on the phone)

|JuiceZ|
01-18-06, 10:01 PM
posting your system specs would help ppl diagnose the problem :)

crainger
01-18-06, 10:06 PM
I had a simialr problem with my Antec True Blue 2.0 power supply. I just unplugged everything then plugged in only the bare essentials. Once it started ok. I plugged in my drives, lights etc and everythignwas fine. Must have been a loose connection or something was shorting out.

KickAssCop
01-18-06, 10:44 PM
Last time I saw this scenario, a chip on my motherboard died.

Knot3D
01-19-06, 06:38 AM
Antec has huge psu problems lately, especially their NeoHE line.
Too bad the problems seem to rub off on their other models.

Try to get a refund and get a PC & Cooling, Enermax or OCZ psu.

|JuiceZ|
01-19-06, 10:28 AM
Antec has huge psu problems lately, especially their NeoHE line.
Too bad the problems seem to rub off on their other models.

Their recent NeoHE line definitely has issues but Antec is a known good psu manufacturer. I replaced a NeoHE 550 with the model the post starter is trying to use (the TPII-550) for my SLi system and it works perfectly.

vert305
01-19-06, 11:22 AM
I have the same Power supply and i love it ... it just sounds like somthing might be hooked up wrong.. retrace your steps and try it again … it happens to all of us

Assassination
01-19-06, 04:10 PM
I got a Biostar P4VTG v7.x, P4 3.0 w/ HTT, 70 Gig Samsung and a 300 Gig Maxtor, 1 cd-rw, 1 dvd-rom. I got the 550 because I order a 6800 GT Ultra and I needed a higher wattage (got an antec 400W in now)

Medion
01-19-06, 11:04 PM
I heard I could be feeding my sytem too much juice (best buy guy on the phone)

No such thing. A 550W PSU does not force-feed the power to your PC, it only gives what is asked of it. Sounds like you got one DOA. This happens, even to respectable companies like Antec.

However, just for the heck of it, double check where you've got it hooked up. Someone over at Rage3D thoguht is PSU was defective...and he had some connectors plugged into the wrong place.

ViN86
01-20-06, 03:12 PM
if you overload one of the rails, that happens. happened to my True380.

Assassination
01-20-06, 04:01 PM
Yeah, went to Bestbuy in Brandon and they tested it and it was DOA.

ViN86
01-20-06, 05:14 PM
Yeah, went to Bestbuy in Brandon and they tested it and it was DOA.
weird, that happened to my True380 and all that was wrong was that i overloaded the 12V rail. i plugged in the essentials and it booted fine, then added my components piece by piece.

well, glad to hear the problems solved.

seeker
01-21-06, 08:07 AM
It could be DOA, but don't assume that. Totally unplug the PS and wait maybe 15 or 20 minutes and try again. Antec has an internal breaker system that takes time to reset itself.

crainger
01-21-06, 04:37 PM
It could be DOA, but don't assume that. Totally unplug the PS and wait maybe 15 or 20 minutes and try again. Antec has an internal breaker system that takes time to reset itself.

Ummm, it was DOA. Gotta read the whole thread dude :)

seeker
01-21-06, 04:59 PM
Ummm, it was DOA. Gotta read the whole thread dude :)
I did read the whole thread "dude". I recently replace my Antec power supply and had exactly the same problem, until I followed the procedure that I described. His may be truely DOA, but it is worth while to check first.

crainger
01-22-06, 02:47 AM
But they did check it. In fact they tested it. it was DOA. Just accept it, its gone. I know it hard, but you need to let go.

Sorry bro, just taking the piss. :)

seeker
01-22-06, 07:29 AM
The only person not letting go is you, "bro". Since it's no longer an issue, why are you ragging me? Do you make that a practice, or is this a special case.

Medion
01-22-06, 10:28 AM
The only person not letting go is you, "bro". Since it's no longer an issue, why are you ragging me? Do you make that a practice, or is this a special case.

Seeker, chill. You didn't read the thread, and you were corrected. After being corrected, you still tried to argue it.

To summarize, he had his PSU tested. It turned out to be dead. Sucks, but that's the way it was. I'm assuming that he got it replaced.

seeker
01-22-06, 10:34 AM
Seeker, chill. You didn't read the thread, and you were corrected. After being corrected, you still tried to argue it.

To summarize, he had his PSU tested. It turned out to be dead. Sucks, but that's the way it was. I'm assuming that he got it replaced.
Ahh, now we have a pair. It isn't extraordinary to post data relating to a problem, whether it has been resolved or not. Because the same problem sometimes recurs. I know this because I went through several PS before I learned this about Antec. To put it a bit more clearly, I really do not care whether you or crainger like it or not. If anyone needs to chill, it is those of you which feel obligated to correct others.

KickAssCop
01-24-06, 11:37 AM
So.. like.. I am running an el-cheapo aspire psu. It got 3 fans.. and umm.. leds. yeah. So what were we talking about here?