PDA

View Full Version : AMD FX-57 @ 3.0GHz?

Strahd
01-20-06, 10:34 AM
I was wondering all you FX-57 owners have ever tried just upping the multiplier to x15 without touching CPU voltage and it work for you?

I tried it last night and played WoW for 3 hours with no problems. I'm folding with it at 3.0GHz right now just as another test but so far it seems to be running fine. This is actually kinda cool, an extra 200MHz without upping the voltage.

Riptide
01-20-06, 10:54 AM
Have you tried prime blend for 8 hours on both cores?

Roliath
01-20-06, 11:43 AM
FX-57's are single core

Strahd
01-20-06, 11:48 AM

No and why should I? If it runs my games and does folding etc just fine, who cares what prime says? :P

Mr_LoL
01-20-06, 12:02 PM
he was just giving you a suggestion to make sure that the core is 99% stable.

Riptide
01-20-06, 12:02 PM
Because it's not truly 100% stable if it won't pass Prime.

npras42
01-20-06, 12:15 PM
No and why should I? If it runs my games and does folding etc just fine, who cares what prime says? :P

Because even if the games you are playing and apps you are using now work fine, eventually you will find something that doesn't. I don't know why this is the case, but on my system in my sig, I can actually OC my CPU to 2.45GHz, and it will run most things really well. Some games like Doom III and HL2 were fine, but later when Riddick came out it would crash and the next version of 3DMark, until I reduced it.

Then I used Prime to find out the best 'stable' value and nothing at all will crash at this current clock.

Strahd
01-20-06, 01:10 PM
Because it's not truly 100% stable if it won't pass Prime.

I disagree with that, I have had prime run fine and crash on 3dmark05. As a matter of fact, I ran prime with a different OC then this and it ran fine, but Serious Sam II would crash as soon as I started it up.

Riptide
01-20-06, 01:50 PM
That's because Prime tests stability of a CPU/RAM/Motherboard and not the video card. So ofcourse the best way to test complete stability is to run both it and also something like 3dmark looped.

If it fails Prime, then it is not truly stable.