PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an unusual motherboard

Strahd
01-20-06, 01:15 PM
I wanted to pick everyone's brain here to see if anyone knows of a motherboard with the following criteria:

Dual opteron processor (preferably seperate memory for each processor)
SLI capable
atleast 1 useable PCI slot for a sound card (and not in between the two PCI express slots)
Ultra SCSI 320 on board OR 1 useable PCI-X 133 slot

Anyone?

a12ctic
01-20-06, 02:01 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151149

2 pci-e 16x slots 1 pci slot duel 940 550$

Strahd
01-20-06, 02:24 PM
I saw that motherboard but the PCI slot is inbetween both PCI express slots. Can you imagine how hot my Xi-fatality would get?

Thanks for the effort!

a12ctic
01-20-06, 02:44 PM
your not gona get much beter than that buddy sorry....

a12ctic
01-20-06, 02:51 PM
why do you want a server mobo anyway?

Strahd
01-20-06, 03:22 PM
I am going to get rid of my xeon server and just have my rig double as my file server and game rig

CaptNKILL
01-20-06, 03:57 PM
Itd probably be good enough to just get a single dual-core CPU rather than go out of your way to get a whole new dual CPU setup. Unless you're thinking 2x Dual-core CPUs... thats different (and probably overkill).

Not sure about the PCI-X slot though... I didnt even know there were boards with PCI-X :o

jAkUp
01-20-06, 04:15 PM
Nothing is ever overkill when it comes to PC's :D :D :D

Strahd
01-20-06, 04:30 PM
Itd probably be good enough to just get a single dual-core CPU rather than go out of your way to get a whole new dual CPU setup. Unless you're thinking 2x Dual-core CPUs... thats different (and probably overkill).

Not sure about the PCI-X slot though... I didnt even know there were boards with PCI-X :o

The raid controller I want comes in a PCI-X flavor unless it has built on SCSI-3 then I'd just use that. Now if let's say an Asus A8N32-SLI came with a PCI-X slot or a built on SCSI-3 controller, I'd just go dual core. I use my server for video encoding, ripping DVD's and to host files (backups, mp3's etc) but if I can find a motherboard to do both, then it would rock :) I may try that Tyan MB though, still thinking about it. I'm just concerned with a fatality being sandwiched between two video cards.

I could not agree more :thumbsup:

retsam
01-20-06, 05:14 PM
is sli a must? or do you prefer scsi over sli?...i prefer scsi over sli. im going with an sli board with this cards

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5854026405&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

in the second PCIe slot with four scsi 15k 74 gig drives.the card is an 8x PCI-e card with 256 megs of ram but im bumping it up to 512.

dandano
01-20-06, 07:55 PM
how about 2 dual core opterons? don't they make those yet?

danh

-=DVS=-
01-20-06, 07:57 PM
You could always WaterCool top card or even better both cards with slim blocks , your fatality should fit and stay cool ;)

CaptNKILL
01-20-06, 08:15 PM
You could always WaterCool top card or even better both cards with slim blocks , your fatality should fit and stay cool ;)
Not a bad idea :)

If youre spending $500 on a motherboard, why the hell not go to water cooling? :p

100fuegos
01-22-06, 01:20 PM
I have, well I better say I know, what you need.

The name is GA-2CEWH (http://www.giga-byte.com/Server/Products/Products_ServerBoard_GA-2CEWH.htm) and this is a pic of it...

http://personales.ya.com/100fuegos/index_archivos/GA-2CEWH_1.gif

Now I want my 20 cents :D :D :D :D :D

Note: The retail version only has 4 SATA2 ports, the picture above is from a special model produced for Fujitsu-Siemens Computers and the exact model of this one will end in F or S can't remember now.

ViN86
01-22-06, 05:21 PM
QFT

jAkUp
01-22-06, 06:52 PM
QFT

QFT

CaptNKILL
01-22-06, 06:55 PM
QFT
QFT :)

Oh, and about that motherboard. Does having 2x PCI-E 16x slots automatically mean it can use SLI? I thought it had to be an SLI chipset. Or am I just thinking of ATI's Crossfire?

100fuegos
01-23-06, 01:54 AM
QFT :)

Oh, and about that motherboard. Does having 2x PCI-E 16x slots automatically mean it can use SLI? I thought it had to be an SLI chipset. Or am I just thinking of ATI's Crossfire?

No, remember DFI. There's one LanParty with 2 PCI-e 16X and do not support SLI. This one in particular has one nForce™ Professional 2200 and one nForce™ Professional 2050, each one manages one of the PCI-e 16X and the board itself it's a truly SLI 16 lanes per channel (ala ASUS A8N32-SLI). The downside its that you have to use 2 processors to use SLI couse the 2nd nForce (the 2050) controls the 2nd PCI-e 16X. This motherboard also supports NUMA (Not Uniform Memory Arquitecture), this almost double the memory bandwith of a regular Dual Channel System.

Strahd
01-23-06, 10:42 AM
is sli a must? or do you prefer scsi over sli?...i prefer scsi over sli. im going with an sli board with this cards

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5854026405&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

in the second PCIe slot with four scsi 15k 74 gig drives.the card is an 8x PCI-e card with 256 megs of ram but im bumping it up to 512.

Yes SLI is a must. Playing games with all the eye candy turned on now has spoiled me :) I was thinking of water cooling the video cards but there is not much space between them and I'm not sure that water blocks will fit and leave a comfortable amount of room for the Fatality. I prefer SCSI also but I won't trade off between SLI and SCSI :D

You know, I can't believe they don't make a high end SLI motherboard or maybe I'm just expecting to much

ViN86
01-23-06, 10:56 AM
i think youre looking for more of a workstation motherboard than an enthusiast mobo.

100fuegos
01-23-06, 11:16 AM
(...)You know, I can't believe they don't make a high end SLI motherboard or maybe I'm just expecting to much

WTF, did you read my post on the first page???????????:( :( :(

Strahd
01-23-06, 11:23 AM
WTF, did you read my post on the first page???????????:( :( :(

lol, yes I read it but that MB does not support SLI atleast anywhere that I found when I followed your link nor do I see 2 PCI express x16 slots on the pic. Other then the non-SLI issue, it's not a bad MB

100fuegos
01-23-06, 11:44 AM
lol, there are 2x PCI-e 16X in that motherboard man, one withe and and the otherone black and that mb does support SLI 16X per channel.

Originally Posted by thecatman
GA-2CEWH: i don't see sli! on google i have read about sli on this mobo but...
anyone can post some links? thanks

Look at Stephs motherboard in the picture. His 7800 is in one slot and the black slot you see next to it that has a tab lock at the end is another 16x slot. The chips with fans on them are the Nforce 2200 and 2050 chipsets that provide the SLI functionality. You have to have both Opterons installed in order to use the SLI feature.

Thats from 2cpu.com forums, you better read around there a little. There is a big post about this motherboard there... this one. (http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=65258)

By the way I do want my 20 cents :D :D :D

Strahd
01-23-06, 04:48 PM
I didn't see that thanks :thumbsup: