PDA

View Full Version : Stupid data recovery question

ragejg
01-20-06, 01:20 PM
I kept my WD400 hard drive after I sold my A64 rig... yeah, I removed all the drivers but failed to remove the A64 processor driver, so I do believe that I cannot boot the drive on, say, an nforce2 mobo...

I have some needed files in my 'my documents" directory on that hard drive... but I can't get to them. I guess I had forgotten that I needed to transfer those files to the root directory for easy transfer...

So now I'm stuck... the files are all there but I can't get to them access denied or whatever... dang dang dang... 30 gigs of photos, word documents and mp3 files...

Can someone help point me in the right direction? There's obviously something I'm not thinking of...

Thanks.

Banko
01-20-06, 01:24 PM
You can boot in with a Knoppix live cd and copy them that way...

ragejg
01-20-06, 01:36 PM
Hmm, linux... I'll consider that... Anyone else have any non-linux suggestions? Thanks, though, banko. :)

retsam
01-20-06, 01:41 PM
use the take ownership feature ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

einstein_314
01-20-06, 05:09 PM
Yeah, you need to take ownership of them. Then you can add yourself to the permissions list and you can do what you want with them. Use the link retsam provided.

ViN86
01-20-06, 05:15 PM
Hmm, linux... I'll consider that... Anyone else have any non-linux suggestions? Thanks, though, banko. :)
heh i love how the word linux strikes fear in the hearts of many. :cool:

superklye
01-20-06, 05:19 PM
You don't actually have to install Knoppix, right? Doesn't it boot right off the disc with no HDD installation necessary?

retsam
01-20-06, 05:23 PM
yep right off the cd rom drive...it will even mount the drives for you...linux is a beautiful thing.. if your into security you should check out knoppix-STD all the fun tools wrapped up into one distro...

retsam
01-20-06, 05:28 PM
Stupid data recovery questionoh ya i hate this title.. there are no stupid questions..i remember asking the very same question back in the NT 3.5 days.

ragejg
01-21-06, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try the ownership route, and if that won't go I'll get ahold of a Knoppix disk. :)

rudedog
01-21-06, 10:43 PM
taking ownership should do it, my cousin was in the predicament as you a couple weeks ago and this got him access to all his files.

ragejg
08-23-06, 11:57 AM
Yeah that's right, months have gone by, and I haven't recovered my data yet... :p For the heck of it I installed ubuntu on one of my new hd's... I thought it would see my hd like knoppix was supposed to , but it wouldn't mount... Is there something i'd have to do in ubunto to recognize and read from a document forler in an sp2 ntfs hd?