PDA

View Full Version : Beep Codes and Ram IC

seeker
01-20-06, 06:45 PM
At first, I didn't think too much about it, but the new Asus A8V motherboard that I installed has been beeping on startup. I wasn't real certain just how to count the beeps, because the last in the sequence was always a higher pitch and shorter duration than the others. I had other questions about the board, so I sent an email to Asus, and in the portion regarding the beep codes, they gave me a link to reference:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

In the reply, they said that the sequence that I gave them sounded like a problem with the video card, however none of the codes close to mine, say anything about that. At first the high pitch end beep seemed a distinct separate tone, but now it seems to have merged into the other, more like an echo, therefore I tend to not count it. What started as 2 short beeps, now seems to be one. I made no changes in the hardware or even reseated anything while the beeps changed, so I'm even more confused. At some other website, it said that it was normal for there to be no beep at all, with the AMI BIOS, yet listed one beep as normal anyway. But this website mentions RAM problems. The ram worked fine on the board that I just replaced, so I do not believe there is any defect.

The error codes in question, says that for 1 beep, that the programmable interrupt controller has failed and for 2 beeps that the RAM IC is bad. I'm not certain if this refers to a stick of RAM or the RAM circuit on the board. Anyway, I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row, before replying to Asus. Any insights would help immensely.

razor897
01-27-08, 09:01 AM
Seeker,
Couldn't believe I stumbled on the exact same issue. My system is only 2 weeks old. It started the beeping a week ago. I have been researching the same errors codes. The best (and most consistent) answer that I have found is :"parity circuit failure" This is the AMI bios code for either 2 or 3 beeps. The described possible causes are:
1) first 64k memory is bad
2) memory stick not properly seated
3) bad memory module
4) bad bank in the mobo
All of the suggestions I found, relate to physical memory. I sent a detailed message to my custom pc builder. I am hoping for a definitive resolution or at least some troubleshooting guide lines.

I will post any good info, once recieved.

razor897
02-03-08, 04:45 PM
Been back and forth emailing for over a week. Did everytyhing except placing the memory or mainboard. Reset CMOS, swapped module locations, ran memtest86 (which passed).

The beeping can be lived with, but the system is only 2 weeks old.

Can anyone advise a possible solution?
Thanks

razor897
02-09-08, 08:36 AM
Heres the answer (in my case):
AMI tech quote, "At boot up, the system acknowledes the presence of external devices connected via USB, Firewire...etc, by beeping".

I unplugged my printer and external hard dive, rebooted and no beeping. Reconnect, restated again, beeping came back.

This case is not published in AMI's documents nor anywhere on the web that I could find.

UNBELIEVABLE !!

Seeker, maybe this would work for you? Hope it does, then you would know, nothing is wrong.

ethan1987
08-19-10, 11:37 PM
My system:
mother asus M4A785TD-V EVO (AMI BIOS ver 2103 (latest))
CPU AMD Phenom II 965 x4 Black Edition
Sapphire ATI RADEON HD5750 1GB DDR5 (w/latest drivers)
2 Corssair RAM modules, ddr3 1gb each (matched for Dual Channel) model: TW3x2G1600C9DHX G
Western Digital Cabiar Blue 500Gb SATA II Hard drive
LG lcd monitor 18.5"
Windows 7 Professional up to date