PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Antec Neopower 550 and ASUS AN8-SLI?

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
01-20-06, 09:27 PM
I have seen some stuff on the web suggesting this combo will not work. What is your experience? Is there a fix?

I might need to go with the truepower 550 if the Neopower does not work with Asus.

Knot3D
01-21-06, 07:13 AM
DO NOT get that Antec NeoHE powersupply !

read all about it http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=970367

I still think Antec's a great company for pc enclosures but I would avoid their psu's for a whole while. Get Enermax or Seasonic.

BrianG
01-21-06, 08:29 AM
There is a new rev that is not likely to be on shelves that fixes the Asus issue. If you want the NeoHE, wait for people to start having good luck with them. The specs on it are great for SLI systems, but the shutdown issue is brutal.

For now, I would do as Knot3D suggested and go with a different brand.

ViN86
01-21-06, 09:26 AM
the TruePower 2.0 550W is a great PSU, i havent had any issues with it. however, i have also heard that the neopower isnt very good.

sillyeagle
01-22-06, 03:29 PM
ok thanks. I like the looks of the neopower but I think I will go with the TP-II.

Roadhog
01-22-06, 03:32 PM
Asus mobo's don't like antec psu's... The majority of them will just randomly stop posting. Change the PSU and its all good.

ricercar
01-24-06, 12:03 AM
Asus mobo's don't like antec psu's
Bwah? Says who? Not in my shop.

Been using ASUS A7N8X (-VM, -VM400, Deluxe, -E Deluxe) with Antec TruePower PSUs for three years with no problems. Using ASUS AN8 SLI Premium with Antec TruePower 550 II with no problems.

Sampson
03-05-06, 06:37 AM
That MB is very picky about the PSU used. There is a very good thread at Hardwareanalysis.com for this board. It gives bios setting, set up instructions,and PSU's that have been certified to work with this board. A lot of people have troubles from using the wrong PSu with this MB !.

ElderDruid
03-05-06, 11:27 AM
Maybe I'm changing the subject, but does anyone have experience with the OCZ Powerstream and this mobo? I'm looking to build a new machine around the ASUS, and deciding on the PSU is turning out to be the hardest part. I do plan on going SLI.

Thanks.

Riptide
03-05-06, 11:45 AM
Antec TruPower, at least the 430w, has a horrible 120mm fan. I had two of them and they both developed an annoying squeak coming from the fan. Garbage.

BTW I have the A8N and a PowerStream. No problems here, at least as far as anything I can trace to the power supply. I have a problem with an intermittent BSOD (machine_check_exception) that comes up like once a month. But that was there when I had the Antec as well so I know it's not the OCZ.

Salamandar
03-05-06, 12:42 PM
Try the HEC ACE PSU or HEC win PSU, great Power Supply for a good price.

SLippe
03-06-06, 12:19 AM
<---- Antec 500W Neo HE...no problems at all here, but not on ASUS mobo either, so...

Beats the livin' hell out of that cheap Okia sh*t!!

OldGamer
03-06-06, 04:35 PM
I have seen some stuff on the web suggesting this combo will not work. What is your experience? Is there a fix?

I might need to go with the truepower 550 if the Neopower does not work with Asus.

I have an Antec NEOPOWER 480 ATX12V v2.0 480W Power Supply on the AN8-SLI Deluxe and no issues since July. Its pretty quiet and I love the removable molex cables. Running a pretty full load (AMD X2 4400@4800, 2GB RAM, Audigy 2, couple 250Gig SATA lots of USB junk and a 7800GTX) all on standard air cooling. NEVER crashed except once when I was hit by the infamous Battlefront II dual core crash issue. :(

hemmy
03-07-06, 07:15 PM
Neopower is fine, NeoHE has problems, two different power supplies

AntecRep
03-20-06, 02:08 PM
NeoHE Issues and resolutions

This summary’s objective is to clear up any confusion pertaining to Antec’s NeoHE power supply series compatibility issues that have come up, as well as some other points.
Customer satisfaction is an extremely high priority for us, and we are fully prepared to help our customers in any way that we can. Our customer support technicians are standing by, and are happy to help anyone who may be experiencing difficulties with an Antec PSU. The NeoHE comes with a full three year warranty and in the event that a customer is faced with a non working product within these three years, we will be happy to replace it.

Asus motherboard issue
Initially Antec and Asus received reports of issues between NeoHE and two Asus motherboard families including the A8N motherboards. After testing done at both Antec and Asus’s facilities both companies were able to reproduce the problem. Asus let us know that they believed customers may have to upgrade their motherboard to version 1.02 (through Asus) and also to make sure they used the latest BIOS to solve the problem. Further testing by both companies seemed to confirm this.

However once this fix became known to the public both companies received reports from end users that even with version 1.02 motherboards and the latest BIOS they were still experiencing random shutdowns. Once again testing was done at both companies, and from that testing it was concluded:
Old BIOS original NeoHE incompatible for 80% of users
BIOS 1009+1.02 mb original NeoHE incompatible for 20% of users
BIOS 1009+1.02 mb modified NeoHe no problem

At this time (end of November 2005) we air shipped modified NeoHe’s to both our Fremont and Rotterdam offices to be made available to customers who fell into that 20%. In addition, all NeoHE’s that were being shipped out in December included this fix. NeoHE’s with this fix include A3 or higher in the serial number bar code area.

NeoHE Warranty Sticker
As has been noted original NeoHE’s warranty sticker suffered from two problems. Notably the material used was too weak to survive shipping and would often tear. Secondly the position of the warranty sticker was not as specified by Antec for our power supplies. Recent shipments of NeoHE’s have rectified these issues.
http://www.antec.com/images/NeoHE_upc.jpg
A broken warranty sticker does not necessarily invalidate the warranty: as long as the power supply exhibits no other evidence of tampering, as long as the sticker is the first production one in the original location, and as long as the special circumstances warranty procedure (described below) is followed, Antec will honor the warranty for affected Neo HE power supplies.

Customers who encounter this issue must take the following steps:
1. Contact Antec Customer Support by email at customersupport@antec.com or Europe.customersupport@antec.com to report this issue, the sooner the better. Include the model and unit serial number in the report.
2. Antec Customer Support will respond with an email listing that specific power supply by serial number and confirming that, barring other external or internal signs of tampering, Antec will honor the warranty for that reported unit.
3. It is the responsibility of the customer to keep the email from Antec Customer Support. Should an RMA ever be required, the customer will need to produce said email along with other warranty paperwork such as the purchase receipt, RMA form, etc. This is an additional special circumstances requirement for these cases, and no exceptions will be made.

john19055
03-21-06, 03:48 AM
Just get a OCZ PowerStream 520watts SLI and you want have any problems IMO.

MUYA
03-21-06, 05:59 AM
you want to problems with OCZ John? ;)

I have the True power 2.0 550 W with X2 4400@2.4ghz, ASUS A8N-SLI and 2 7800 GTX in SLI, 2 HDDs, 2 DVD burners working with no problems!!!

jswcpm
04-24-06, 03:23 PM
i bought one yesterday at Best Buy and installed on an A7N8X Deluxe ver 1.0X and had no problems at all....in anticipation of getting a Gainward 7876-BLISS 7800GS Silent 512MB GS+ card and later with SLI set-up...so far, everything is working fine (except no way to track the PSU fan as no 3 prong plug for mb)...

AntecRep
05-08-06, 05:42 PM
There still seems to be some lingering questions or doubts about Antecís NeoHE line of power supplies. Let us be clear:

Antecís NeoHE are the quietest, most stable and most reliable line of power supplies that Antec has ever released. They have also received more positive reviews and awards in their first six months of release than even our classic TruePower series, so itís not just us saying it. http://www.antec.com/NeoHEawards.html

Have there been some problems? Yes. But the problems are extremely limited in scope. The power of the Internet has certainly left a different impression with many but happy customers generally donít post their problems in chat rooms and forums. Here are the facts: As of May 1, we have sold nearly 70,000 NeoHE power supplies (either individually or installed in our P150 case). We have replaced free of charge some 1200 units due to the incompatibility with some versions of Asus A8N or P5 family. While we are sorry that some people had problemsóboth Antec and Asus have worked together behind the scenes, made minor changes to both companyís products and resolved this issueóthe fact is that thousands of users have used this combination and not experienced any problems.

Even many of the NeoHe reviewers were using this supposedly suspect combination and completely unaware that there was a ďproblemĒ because they didnít have one. That is also the reason that our pre-release testing of this power supply and motherboard combination did not reveal any issues. Virtually 100% of the incompatible PSUís would have worked fine with another motherboard. Actual out of box failures of NeoHE are almost non-existent and certainly happening at much lower rates than we have ever experienced with either our TruePower or SmartPower lines.

Lastly, there is the issue that some users are experiencing using any number of brands of higher efficiency power supplies, such as NeoHE, and reported in detail on silentpcreveiew.com http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=30289. Again, good news; since Antec was one of the first companies to develop and sell higher efficiency designs such as NeoHE, we were among the first to discover and solve this potential issue. You can buy NeoHE with confidence.

Antec is the world leader in power supply design, innovation and sales. Over the past few years we have sold millions of power supplies around the world. That means we have millions of happy customers. It also, unfortunately but inevitably, means that some of our customers will experience problems, maybe even more people than have problems with other brands, simply because we sell so many more power supplies than the other guys. Thatís why we introduced our industry leading AQ3 Warranty http://www.antec.com/us/warranty.php?value=en&Submit=Submit back in 2000. So customers can buy in confidence and know that if they do experience a problem, we stand behind our products and guarantee their satisfaction.

If you have any questions about Antec power supplies please send us an email at powersupply@antec.com .

jswcpm
05-08-06, 08:01 PM
I have to echo Antec Rep, and no i am not a stooge for Antec, the new power supply(Neo 550) is working great - i bought some extra Molex cables - they arrived within a week - and internally my case looks great and everything is neat and powered very well...

oh, and i did get the new video card and broke 4000 on 3dMark06..plenty of power on one rail for the card..(which is really a PCI-e chip in disguise as an AGP card---pricey but it blasts)....

ps. oh, and i am leaning toward a new Antec case (with visible side panel) for my next AMD64 computer!!...:D :D

AdmiralHalsey..
05-10-06, 04:16 AM
Yeah, my realpower 500watt is pushing way more than it should, and its fine. I've never managed to kill one anyway...I just wish they'd release a line for people who don't care about noise, Cause there supplies work so good when hot [due to the low fan speed, noise requirements] that they'd doubtless be far better with proper cooling. My ears could deal...rant complete.

ricercar
05-10-06, 06:15 PM
Confirm that Antec knows there are problems with ASUS A8N SLI implementations of <one specific PSU I forget which one> that can be fixed with a support call to Antec. Saw a lenghthy forum thread on this <forget where>.

What a good memory have i.

Serrasalmus
01-01-08, 07:01 AM
i have had my antec neohe 550 for with sticker a4 on it for a litttle over a year and i have had no issues with it at all its running my current system with no problems i has seen a abit nf8 mobo and a asus a7n8x in the time i have had it and have never had any issues with it and would recommend it to anyone that is looking into getting it

Toss3
01-01-08, 07:34 AM
Holy thread revival!11!1oneone :wtf:

Serrasalmus
01-01-08, 07:52 AM
yea i was bored and just reading the forums!!!