PDA

View Full Version : new rig, old windows. Will it work

FearMeAll
01-21-06, 09:28 AM
I have been running my same setup for over a year and a half because I was afraid to upgrade my hardware because of how windows might act. As you can see from my sig I have a massive amount of HDD space and that means I have a lot of programs installed and I don't want to do a new install of windows when I get my new hardware. I have run windows repair utility before from the install menu before and was able to save my installations to new rigs but I haven't had this much hardware change as of yet to a new rig.
You can see from my sig I am running a 6800gt, socket 754 via mobo, and a 3400. The new rig I am getting will be a socket 939 nforce 4 sli x16 mobo, 4800 dual core, and SLI 7800GTX 512s. I just got the 512s online from the front page of nvnews. Can't wait to test'em. (got 2 more gigs of ram going in the mobo as well)
I keep my registry clean and diskeeper keeps my hdds defragged at all times. Is there a high probability that windows install will let me "fix" windows to run on the new hardware? I don't mind activating it again but I want the thing to boot on this new hardware.

npras42
01-21-06, 10:01 AM
It will probably work after some driver installations and everything, but this will hardly be ideal for testing out your new hardware. However clean your registry is, I guarantee you will see a significant increase in performance by doing a full re-install. And I mean significant.

Capt. Picard
01-21-06, 10:13 AM
I also like doing a PC "over" however I formatted a friend's mother's PC over a while ago. Windows SP2, Office 2003, and some minor utilities on a system AMD Duron 1100mHz, 128MB RAM, but the performance increase was disappointingly small. If you click on My Computer, the response takes between 5 seconds and 1 year (on clean formatted system). Does SP2 draw so much resources.

FearMeAll
01-21-06, 11:45 AM
It will probably work after some driver installations and everything, but this will hardly be ideal for testing out your new hardware. However clean your registry is, I guarantee you will see a significant increase in performance by doing a full re-install. And I mean significant.
I would usually agree but right now after having the same installation that was also a move over to another pc my startup time is still less than most clean installs I have tested. This installation is over 2 years old as well and I have a LOT of things installed.
I really have so many programs I do not want to "reactivate" with a new install. Nvidia purevideo is one, then there are a few games I stupidly purchased online through fileplanet direct2drive. others as well. I don't want to reinstall Office, photoshop, my printer drivers, sound card..blech...too much stuff.

CaptNKILL
01-21-06, 02:03 PM
I also like doing a PC "over" however I formatted a friend's mother's PC over a while ago. Windows SP2, Office 2003, and some minor utilities on a system AMD Duron 1100mHz, 128MB RAM, but the performance increase was disappointingly small. If you click on My Computer, the response takes between 5 seconds and 1 year (on clean formatted system). Does SP2 draw so much resources.
You can blame that all on the RAM ;)

128Mb is the absolute minimum I would ever use for XP, and even then, I would switch to ME or 98SE in a second if it was available. 256Mb will get things a LOT smoother. 512Mb is good and anything over that is ideal.