PDA

View Full Version : Hint at Oblivion System requirements

Pages : [1] 2

Zelda_fan
01-21-06, 10:22 AM
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221258&st=144#

This is a quote made by a developer on the Oblivion forums.

Pete might beat me up for posting here, but I will say this without giving out any real info....

I have one of the oldest systems here at work. Its about 4 years old and has only had minor upgrades since then. I tested today with EVERYTHING turned on and maxed out. I didnt think it would do it, but it worked. And yes, it was higher than 1024x768 on a fairly dated card. Extremely beautiful. I do recommend something better than what I have here for "complete" enjoyment, but by knocking down some of the bells and whistles (and there are MANY options to play with), it is still a great time while being pretty.

I would love to share my actual system specs with you all to compare, but that is a no go. Hopefully, you can take my word for it with what I COULD tell you, so that you know that you dont have to get a 2nd job flipping burgers just to buy new gear. New gear helps and allows Oblivion to shine in 100% of it's visual glamour, but lower specs dont mean you cant enjoy it and have a lot of goods at the same time.

Relax, you all will still be surprised. I am still in awe that it can run as well is it does and still look insanely beautiful. smile.gif

Looks like Oblivion will run ok on my Rig!

Zelda_fan
01-21-06, 10:23 AM
Also check this out

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221120&view=findpost&p=3928945

No news means we are VERY busy. Seriously, I can call an immediate halt to testing and tweaking so that we can drop everything and provide you with more screenshots, or, I can let work work continue so that in a VERY short time, you can take your own screenshots.

Wanna flip a coin on it?

*does the Adventure World old man dance* 1244.gif

PS- Lighten up on the hammering of me and my humor. Good or bad, judge my jokes, not my playa pimp style, yo. W3rd! jammasterjay.gif

jAkUp
01-21-06, 11:20 AM
4 year old machine with everything maxed? :(

im beginning to wonder if oblivion is going to have as great graphics as we thought for us guys with SLI systems. No matter hold optimized a game is, running maxed on a 4 year old system means they didn't include some advanced options like HDR and such

|MaguS|
01-21-06, 11:25 AM
Seriously, If he was getting over 20FPS with everything max'd (mind you we don't know his frames but he did mention that the settings would have to be dropped slightly for completely playable) the I am disappionted. I was actually looking to tapping my new SLi right with it. :(

Zelda_fan
01-21-06, 11:25 AM
4 year old machine with everything maxed? :(

im beginning to wonder if oblivion is going to have as great graphics as we thought for us guys with SLI systems. No matter hold optimized a game is, running maxed on a 4 year old system means they didn't include some advanced options like HDR and such

it obviously has HDR becasue it appears in nearly every screenshot they've published.

What I take this to be is that on a Radeon 9800, you will be able to run the game at 1280x1024 with all the options set to highest and no AA and ansio.

I HAVE read that SM3.0 is mainly used to provide optimization to make the game run faster, but I also remember a developer quote that if you had SM3.0 it would use a better quality lighting method.

Zelda_fan
01-21-06, 11:27 AM
Seriously, If he was getting over 20FPS with everything max'd (mind you we don't know his frames but he did mention that the settings would have to be dropped slightly for completely playable) the I am disappionted. I was actually looking to tapping my new SLi right with it. :(

come on don't be selfish! Not all of use have SLi rigs. I for one am extremely happy that the game is going to run great on my 6800GT. As long as it produces the image quality you see in the screenshots, I don't see what their is to complain about.

|MaguS|
01-21-06, 11:41 AM
Im guessing the game is also missing all the shadows just like in the screenshots since those are such a major performance hit that a 9800pro would never be able to push HDR, High Res Textures and high Polygon models with shadows on aswell.

Heck, If a 6800GT has troubles with FarCry at max (with HDR), I honestly can't see it running this game at max.

Zelda_fan
01-21-06, 12:06 PM
well the demo machine they used at e3 to render the videos (which had full dynamic soft shadows) was done on 2x 6800GTs in SLi. And the framerate on that was pretty smooth.

I read that Bethesda is useing some new shadowing technique called shadow mapping that vastly improves performance over methods like stencil shadow (what Doom3 uses).

agentkay
01-21-06, 12:30 PM
When I read the first dev quote I was thinking "Since its 4 years old, maybe it ran in DX8 mode and in that case most advanced effects are not working anyway." DX8 mode in FEAR is also very fast and so is the DX7 mode in COD2 and both can be maxxed out on old hardware and still run at acceptable speed, however I think everyone knows what the deal is when it comes to maxxing out the DX9 paths of these games. I donīt think my first impression is all unrealistic but I wouldnīt mind if I was wrong. ;)

aAv7
01-21-06, 01:00 PM
Stop pushing your fancy sli you bastards. What kind of gaming world do i play in, when its a dissapointment two cards arent needed? Talk about overkill =P (Until I get sli myself lol) Until then i'll keep drinking my haterade, cause if I plan to get my own studio in April...I can only stick with one card at a time. Imgaine that ONE $600 dollar card isnt enough. :: sigh :: Makes a 360 so tempting...

CaptNKILL
01-21-06, 01:10 PM
I think this guy is probably exagerating a tad... I seriously doubt this game will run at acceptable frame rates on a 9800 Pro (im almost positive thats what card hes talking about) with all settings maxed at 1024x768. He said it "worked" and "looked beautiful". Hes saying a 4 year old card can do enough to make the game LOOK good, not necessarily RUN good.

Whatever he says, Im still blowing all my money on a 512Mb 7900 and a new motherboard for this game :D

Arioch
01-21-06, 02:11 PM
Being an RPG and not a FPS I would be quite happy to run it at 1024x768 with everything turned on and have it playable on my 6800 Ultra.

jAkUp
01-21-06, 02:25 PM
Well we never said a $600 card isn't enough, but it would be nice to have an "ultra high" super duper graphic setting for us who do have SLI :)

Rytr
01-21-06, 02:29 PM
The developer(?) contridicted himself if you read what he said about maxing out. He could have been using a 6800 Ultra or equivalent with a Barton series processor, good ram, and a good motherboard.
Also, if well-coded, frame rates will not require high speeds and may play very well at <30 FPS. I would bet that he was not using HDR or AA to any degree to run at high in-game settings.

nutcrackr
01-21-06, 06:19 PM
Why can't he tell us his specs? Will the world suddenly implode if he says something?

CaptNKILL
01-21-06, 07:17 PM
Why can't he tell us his specs? Will the world suddenly implode if he says something?
No but he'd probably get fired and maybe sued for breaking the NDA :p

msxyz
01-22-06, 02:58 AM
HDR is implemented in Oblivion using the 16bit HiLo format.

Even PS2.0 cards like the R3xx can do it. If Oblivion can run on fairly dated systems, this means they've spent a lot of time optimizing the code (unlike Morrowind).

|MaguS|
01-22-06, 06:21 AM
HDR is implemented in Oblivion using the 16bit HiLo format.

Even PS2.0 cards like the R3xx can do it. If Oblivion can run on fairly dated systems, this means they've spent a lot of time optimizing the code (unlike Morrowind).

No matter how much you optimize the code certain special effects will always be a huge performance hit, especially HDR in anyform. But anyway, I have come to the conclusion that the game does not render ANY outdoor shadows. No matter what recent screenshots I look at all outdoor areas have no shadows from characters or objects.

The recent PCGamer has an exclusive onhands article with new shots and none have shadows.

Gaco
01-22-06, 07:45 AM

Definently not, but my guess is that the Oblivion team would give him a good beating if he did :D
Dunno why they wouldn't want it to be known though.. maybe they think it's still too early to tell :confused:

No matter how much you optimize the code certain special effects will always be a huge performance hit, especially HDR in anyform. But anyway, I have come to the conclusion that the game does not render ANY outdoor shadows. No matter what recent screenshots I look at all outdoor areas have no shadows from characters or objects.

The recent PCGamer has an exclusive onhands article with new shots and none have shadows.

That sure sucks if it's true. The game should at least have the option to enable it so the highend-guys could take advantage of their system and us 'normal' guys could look forward to a bit of a visual upgrade in oblivion with our next PC :)

lmetza
01-22-06, 07:40 PM
I bet the X1900 xt will do it, seems very familiar in pipeline ammounts to the 360 gpu.

nutcrackr
01-22-06, 08:47 PM
Dunno why they wouldn't want it to be known though.. maybe they think it's still too early to tell :confused:
Well I would have thought that at this point the engine isn't going to change much since they are mostly fixing bugs and refining right? So wouldn't performance be much the same now as it would be in 2 months?
Btw I agree with the shadows, in all the movies and pictures I've seen no outside shadows.

Zelda_fan
01-22-06, 11:14 PM
Well I would have thought that at this point the engine isn't going to change much since they are mostly fixing bugs and refining right? So wouldn't performance be much the same now as it would be in 2 months?
Btw I agree with the shadows, in all the movies and pictures I've seen no outside shadows.

that makes no sense. If they can do shadows inside, then they should be able to do them outside as well. I'm sure even if the game dosen't have an option for outside shadows, there will be some sort of mod that enables it.

|MaguS|
01-23-06, 06:21 AM
that makes no sense. If they can do shadows inside, then they should be able to do them outside as well. I'm sure even if the game dosen't have an option for outside shadows, there will be some sort of mod that enables it.

Not true, Sure it could technically be able to accomplish the soft and dynamic shadows but with all the foliage it could cause graphical anomalies or with the HDR it could be just way to large of a performance hit. I mean the indoor dungeons are small from what I have read, not as small as morrowinds but nothing too large.

lmetza, I don't know what you mean by the X1900 might be able to do it since by my guess the game doesn't seem to support exterior shadows.

PeterJensen
01-23-06, 06:25 AM
Well im getting it for my x360 :) Problem solved :p

Acid Rain
01-23-06, 07:36 AM
No matter what recent screenshots I look at all outdoor areas have no shadows from characters or objects. Watch the chapter 2 video (http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_movies.htm) and make that statement again with a straight face. ;)