PDA

View Full Version : OS keeps trying to install already installed RAID drivers

Spaz
01-21-06, 01:54 PM
Having two issues since my upgrade to a RAID system. The install works and even windows works but I keep hitting this hardware found issue.

1. Everytime I start Windows XP the system wants to try to install "NVRAID Class Device Setup" but can't since its already installed or "Name is already in use as either a service name or service display name".

2. The two raid drives are installed and working but again Windows wants to install the drive again but can't since the "Name is already in use"

This seems like something Windows should see and not try to install the drivers again. Anyway to stop this?

Spaz
01-24-06, 06:47 PM
No one has had this problem???:thumbdwn:

seeker
01-24-06, 08:29 PM
I've not had the problem, and can't offer any solutions, but the first thing that I would check, is to see if the raid controller appears normally in the Device Manager. You gave no specifics about your system, so I will just make some assumptions. First off, the drives are not what the error message is addressing. If you have an onboard raid controller, then you need to check that the raid controller appears in the Device Manager and that it shows that the drivers are installed. Again, you didn't say anything about what kind of raid that you are using (stripe, mirror, etc.), but you should check to see that the BIOS and Windows see the drives in a raid configuration. I have never used a separate controller, but I would assume that this would be similar. What it sounds like is that the raid drivers were not installed properly, but that should be able to be determined by the items that I mentioned.

Spaz
01-24-06, 10:30 PM
Yes, RAID is setup correctly in the bios. I wouldn't have Windows installed right now if that wasn't working.;)

I have a NForce 4 using the onboard controller and using Stripe. Currently all of the drivers for the NVRAID are installed and RAID is working fine. The bios says it is and Nvidia MediaShield app also agrees. I have two 250GB drives and it is shown as a single 465GB drive in My Computer.

The problem is not that the hardware isn't working but that Windows keeps asking for drivers that it already has installed. Its acting like I had a second controller. I uninstalled all of them only to hit the problem again.

Spaz
01-25-06, 07:21 PM
Sometimes like this other times with warning icons...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/Spaz007/JackedupNvidiaDrivers.jpg

seeker
01-25-06, 07:37 PM
All that I can say is the obvious, and that probably won't help, but obviously that "unknown device" is why Windows wants to load the raid driver again. Is there anyway that you can identify it? It would appear that there is either something wrong with the device, or with the driver. Have you checked to see if there is an update available on the manufacturer's website? If not, you might try downloading the driver that you have, because it's possible that the CD might be faulty.

I can't remember exactly, but if you use the Add New Hardware function in the Control Panel, it does have a place where it lists devices, and you might be able to figure this out.

Spaz
01-26-06, 10:42 PM
The "unknown device" is the "Nvida Class Device Setup". The device must be working since I'm running in RAID right now. I'm thinking its these drivers for x64 that Nvidia made.:( I might reinstall this weekend. I got a LAN party this weekend so I'll wait in till Sunday.

Thanks...

seeker
01-27-06, 12:10 AM
I've never used the NForce 4, but I did have a mobo with the NForce 3 and Nvidia raid. I'm only guessing, but I'm wondering how many SATAs drives that it can operate? If you have less than the board operates, then the unknown device may be to control the unused slot. On a Gigabyte board that I had, it had two separate raid systems, one for SATA and one for PATA. However, I never had a list of "Nvidia Class Device Setups" like your's in the Device Manager...in fact, none. Anyway, the unknown device is apparently something that you aren't configured for at this time.

Darkoz
01-27-06, 12:35 AM
Have you tried just uninstalling the "unknown device" in Device Manager and why are there so many "NVRaid Class Device Setup" entries there?

Spaz
01-28-06, 11:01 PM
Have you tried just uninstalling the "unknown device" in Device Manager and why are there so many "NVRaid Class Device Setup" entries there?

Yes uninstalling it will keep it from trying to load it again untill I reboot. Why there so many.... don't know...