PDA

View Full Version : Apc Ups

seeker
01-21-06, 05:55 PM
My BX1000 APC works fine, except that Windows loses track of it every time that I reboot. If I unplug the USB cable and replug it, it reappears in the power setting of the display properties, as it should. But this is a bit of a hassle to go to on each reboot. I emailed APC about this several weeks ago, and never got a reply. Is there something that I can do to fix this?

rudedog
01-21-06, 11:39 PM
My BX1000 APC works fine, except that Windows loses track of it every time that I reboot. If I unplug the USB cable and replug it, it reappears in the power setting of the display properties, as it should. But this is a bit of a hassle to go to on each reboot. I emailed APC about this several weeks ago, and never got a reply. Is there something that I can do to fix this?

I work for APC so let me see what I can find out. It's been 6 years sense I was in tech support but I still know one or two guys up there.

Drop me a PM Monday with your details. I will call the guys in tech support and try and get an answer or have someone get back to you ASAP.

seeker
01-22-06, 08:33 AM
That would be great. But, I'm not sure which details that you meant.

rudedog
01-22-06, 08:53 AM
-what version of windows and any service packs installed
-What else you may be using via USB at the same time as the UPS (anything that is plugged in at the time of boot up)
-What port is the USB cable plugged into? Front / back..
-Type of UPS serial number/model number from behind the unit.
-If your using the Powerchute software.
-The name you submitted the email under.

Riptide
01-22-06, 09:42 AM
Have you tried a different USB port? Maybe turn legacy USB on/off?

seeker
01-22-06, 10:26 AM
Have you tried a different USB port? Maybe turn legacy USB on/off?
I'll give that a try in a bit, but that made me think...the Asus CD didn't have a driver for XP SP2 and referred me to MS. But, I doubt that is the problem, because the Gigabyte mobo, that I had before, did have the USB driver on their CD, and I had the same problem. While on the subject of USB, unlike my other motherboards, this one has 4 jumpers to select between +5V and +5VSB. I assume that each of these jumpers are for the 4 different ports, but I have no idea which value to set them for, nor do I know what "VSB" means.

seeker
01-22-06, 10:34 AM
I Googled for VSB, and found a Wikipedia definition:

1. Short for vestigial side band, a method for modulating -- or converting for transmission -- digital data over coaxial cable. Created by Zenith, VSB has been chosen by the FCC as a standard for digital TV.

2. Short for VME Subsystem Bus, an auxiliary bus used with a primary 32-bit bus called a VME (VersaModule Eurocard), made for commercial, industrial, and military uses. The VSB helps speed transfers between devices.

I assume that these jumpers are for the 2nd definition, but since it appears to be for non-American devices, I'll leave them set to the default +5V.

Spyke
01-22-06, 05:15 PM
VSB, just a short word for +5VSB, meaning 5 volt standby, its a low current rail on the PSU thats always powered no matter if the computer is turned on or not. Setting the jumper to VSB will keep the USB ports powered at all times while the PC is plugged in and the ATX switch is on. This is why some computers you see that have optical mice, still glowing when the power on the computer is turned off. Really you'd only use this if some USB device can wake the computer up and power it on, such as a keyboard or mouse. Personally I'd leave it to the +5V, so there is no juice to the USB ports when the machine is shut down.

seeker
01-22-06, 09:32 PM
Thank you, that's good to know. I do have my keyboard set to power on the computer, but it is a PS/2, so I don't need this on USB.

seeker
01-28-06, 12:18 AM
Well APC tech support still hasn't contacted me, and the problem continues. Either APC doesn't care about supporting it's customers, or they have no idea of what the problem is. Even if they don't know, they should have contacted me anyway.

rudedog
01-28-06, 07:13 AM
Thant's my fault.
did not replicate my work email (been on vacation) will do that today and get this off

Sorry will do it today

rudedog
01-28-06, 11:49 AM
going to get your emal to tech support but I found a couple things to try

first upgrade your Powerchute software, make sure you pick PowerChute personal edition 2.0 for you OS

http://www.apc.com/tools/download/index.cfm?tsk=

Also there is a tech doc on possibly the same symptoms here (http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2923&p_created=1057669378&p_sid=vj1txL-h&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9OTMmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9 jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmc F9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD11c2IgbG9zdA**&p_li=&p_topview=1)

seeker
01-28-06, 07:24 PM
I tried your suggestions, but neither worked. after installing PowerChute 2.0, Windows power settings could only see the UPS until I rebooted, then it disappeared.

This raises a question, if Windows can not see the UPS in Display Properties>Screen Savers>Power, but PowerChute does see the UPS, and a power failure occurs, will PowerChute be able to both shut down the PC and save data. In other words, is Windows recognition critical?

rudedog
01-28-06, 08:22 PM
Powerchute (PC) will take care of your shutdown and whatever you have configured in PC. It does not matter if windows sees your UPS, in power managment.

FYI, we wrote the power managment features in win2k, which was carried over to XP.

Roadhog
01-28-06, 08:43 PM
I tried your suggestions, but neither worked. after installing PowerChute 2.0, Windows power settings could only see the UPS until I rebooted, then it disappeared.

This raises a question, if Windows can not see the UPS in Display Properties>Screen Savers>Power, but PowerChute does see the UPS, and a power failure occurs, will PowerChute be able to both shut down the PC and save data. In other words, is Windows recognition critical?

I have a cyberpower ups, windows will only see it when i install the software. but if i reboot it wont show up till i reinstall the software again...

seeker
01-29-06, 04:57 PM
Powerchute (PC) will take care of your shutdown and whatever you have configured in PC. It does not matter if windows sees your UPS, in power managment.

FYI, we wrote the power managment features in win2k, which was carried over to XP.
If this is so, then I guess that I really don't have a problem, and you can forget bothering your tech dept. Thanks.

rudedog
01-29-06, 08:23 PM
You should be all set. If Powerchute sees the UPS then your all set, don't worry about the power management.