PDA

View Full Version : AMD has really taken over!!!

Maverickman
01-21-06, 04:56 PM
I went to some local electronics stores today (BB, Circuit City, CompUSA), and I noticed that AMD has really taken over the desktop market. There were AMD Sempron and Athlon boxes all over the place!!! I did see some Intel, but it was at least 80% in favor of AMD. Quite a contrast to what I saw a year ago!!! I guess the word has finally gooten out to the PC manufacturers that AMD has the better CPUs. Dell will always be stubborn, but I think even that company will
come around. The Pentium 4 is history, and the Pentium D is a dud. Intel may strike back with Conroe later in the year, but we'll have to see. It's no wonder that AMD has captured the market share of desktop CPUs.

superklye
01-21-06, 04:58 PM
yeah...it just sucks that InDell still rules the PC market overall though. :(

OWA
01-21-06, 05:02 PM
I think where they need to makeup a little ground is in the corporate world. At home, I have all AMD but at work, everything is Intel (but we buy a lot of Dell computers). Several of my friends that aren't really computer enthusiasts still always buy Intel based systems also. I guess they feel more comfortable sticking with what they know.

Maverickman
01-21-06, 06:09 PM
Intel has spent a TON of marketing dollars over the year. Even people who don't know a thing about computers have heard of the name "Pentium" or have seen the "Intel Inside" logo. For a while, AMD was viewed as an inferior brand. Now that so many people have computers at home and at work, the word is getting out that AMD actually has the better CPU. Of course, Intel is over 10 times larger and controls Dell. The corporate market will be mostly Intel for some time yet. Anyone in the know probably has AMD at home. I also have AMD computers, but I got such a great deal on the XPS 600, I couldn't pass it up. If Dell starts selling AMD, Intel will be in trouble in the desktop market. Of course, Intel controls the laptop market which has really grown over the past several years. That could also change with the Turon.

bkswaney
01-21-06, 07:34 PM
Untill Intel gets some good cpu's on the market to compete
with AMD in the performance AMD is going to keep gaining market share.

These days intel is fine unless you want top performance.
My how things have changed the past few years.

borntosoul
01-22-06, 10:00 PM
ive had my p4 2.8 for ages now and i have to say, that cpu and my 865 mobo is one of the best combos ive ever had. i bounce around like a yoyo from amd to intel depending on what suits me. i bought the p4 for ht. i will be buying dual core AMD next go round- i'm just waiting for the price to go down a little.

Son Goku
01-22-06, 10:50 PM
AMD has certainly made some significant strides, from the time the first Athlons were released and AMD beat Intel to the 1 GHz mark, and beyond. Capacity still favors Intel though; and as with gfx cards, the OEM market is where the large chunk of sales are made, rather then through the end user upgrade market.

Still, there's no denying the progress AMD has made in the desktop CPU market space. Heck, prior to the release of the Athlons, I tended to own Intel. When the first Athlon socket A came out, I moved to the Athlon and have pretty much built AMD systems for myself since. That isn't to say I would rule Intel out however, but it is to say that the Pentium 4 Willy wasn't that enticing when I built my AXP 1900+, and when I got to my next upgrade, it was an A64...

I have used Pentium 4s though (in case anyone is wondering) at the uni in all the computer labs and stuff, which have tended to be Intel, or in some of them Intel and Mac...

Riptide
01-23-06, 08:32 AM
My last Intel was a Pentium 4 3.0C. That is unless you count my wife's Pentium M. If AMD can keep their lead in the desktop arena and come up with a better mobile implementation then eventually even Dell will have to take notice. But I think part of what keeps Dell in Intel's corner is the Pentium M. People always wonder why haven't they switched and I think that's a big part of it right there.

bugmage
01-23-06, 08:47 AM
as long as AMDs the underdog, there going to still come out with better and greater things, so this entire situation is somewhat positive. Once people overcome there ignorance, dell will go down. Like you guys said Intel does better for a lot of sheer number crunching apps so in the buisiness world people go with them, however I wonder if compaines only new how much they would be saving on their energy bill if there 3k computers were amd not intell, + ive spilled coolant, drilled, solder and dropped braking pins of my old AMD 3400 and it still puts out :) its a 937 pin model now (nana2)

Riptide
01-23-06, 08:59 AM
Dell isn't going anywhere. I can't think of any other OEM I'd rather see my company use than them. If their sales reps weren't morons we wouldn't be switching to Lenovo and it has nothing to do with the hardware at all or the actual support (we have gold svc.).

As for power bills it wouldn't be any different. Athlon64 chews up similar amounts of power vs. Pentium 4. And Intel laptop chips are still more efficient than their AMD counterparts.

CaptNKILL
01-23-06, 09:03 AM
I havent used an Intel CPU in my main computer since my Gateway 400Mhz P2 in 1998. Ive been all Athlon since then, and Ive never looked back. I still have some Pentiums in my older machines, but nothing over 350Mhz. The old K6-2s I have still seem to run things faster than Pentiums and Pentium 2s... but I remember hearing about K6 stability problems so I usually stick with the Pentiums if I can.

Maverickman
01-23-06, 05:23 PM
AMD really came on with the Athlon CPU in 1999. The K6-2 wand K6-III were dogs when compared to the Pentium II and III. The Thlon just beat anything Intel had to offer. Things got interesting when Intel went Dual Core with the Pentium 4 in 2003. Those Pentium 4s beat the Athlon XP. AMD was right back on top with teh Athlon 64, and Intel hasn't been able to beat it. Things may change again when Conroe hits the scene late this year.

Banko
01-23-06, 05:43 PM
AMD really came on with the Athlon CPU in 1999. The K6-2 wand K6-III were dogs when compared to the Pentium II and III. The Thlon just beat anything Intel had to offer. Things got interesting when Intel went Dual Core with the Pentium 4 in 2003. Those Pentium 4s beat the Athlon XP. AMD was right back on top with teh Athlon 64, and Intel hasn't been able to beat it. Things may change again when Conroe hits the scene late this year.
I hope by Dual Core you mean Hyperthreading...

CaptNKILL
01-23-06, 05:58 PM
I hope by Dual Core you mean Hyperthreading...
:lol: I was thinkin the same thing.

TierMann
01-23-06, 07:02 PM
That and my 3000+ would keep up with P4 2.8-3ghz at the time, without OC'ing.
IMO, AthlonXP was when they started kicking some ass. HP was even putting out some AMD's then, but I think most people just saw some chip they never heard of and went Intel. Now that AMD is making some noise with a new architecture, dual core, and enthusiasts moving mostly over to AMD, the rest of the world seems to be catching on.

Wooly Bully
01-23-06, 07:13 PM
Yeah my last Intel in a desktop was a P-III 1GHz. My Dell laptop has Intel but I run a FX-60 in my main machine.

borntosoul
01-23-06, 08:34 PM
i went intel p3 450
AMD athlon 1333
AMD barton 2500+
intel p4 2800c

bkswaney
01-24-06, 02:49 AM
The newest HT P4's run a lot better than the older P4's.
It was night and day for me. I tend to do a lot
at one time on my PC's so HT is a must.

Now with AMD having dual core I switched back to amd.
My last amd rig was a 1800+MP rig with a scsi setup.
It was fast. :)

atomicrc11
01-27-06, 01:22 PM
My first comp every built was a SlotA AMD Athlon with a 500Mhz processor. Then I had an 800Mhz Athlon socket a, Athlon 1600+, Athlon 2500+ clocked to 3200+, Athlon64 3000+, and my new machine, Intel Pentium D 930. The only reason it is an Intel chip is that I got a killer deal that I couldn't refuse.

AthlonXP1800
01-27-06, 07:16 PM
Intel is over 10 times larger

Not quite, actually Intel is over 7 times larger, Intel is now worth $130.1bn and AMD worth $17.9bn.