PDA

View Full Version : Coolbits not sticking at restart

Roch
01-23-06, 04:30 AM
Hi all,

Just done a reformat and windows reinstall after benching my new DFI expert for the past week. It's all gone swimmingly bar one issue...coolbits. The Manual overclocking settings don't stick when I restart, anyone else had this happen?

My initial guess is I've accidently removed a startup entry with a registry cleaner or some such...

Cheers.

saturnotaku
01-23-06, 05:06 AM
Try this:

1) Do a clean install of your video drivers (uninstall/Driver Cleaner/etc)

2) Install Coolbits

3) Set your desired 3D clock speed, test, check the apply settings at startup box.

4) Close out the driver control panel, then immediately re-open it. You should notice that your clock speeds have reverted back to stock. Re-set your desired speeds, test, then hit apply, making sure the startup button is checked.

All should be fine on further reboots. Unfortunately you'll need to do this every time you install new drivers, but it does work.

Roch
01-23-06, 06:37 AM
Many Thanks saturnotaku, I'll give that a go.

rewt
01-23-06, 08:11 AM
My initial guess is I've accidently removed a startup entry with a registry cleaner or some such...

Quite possible! I've noticed overclocks will not get applied at startup if I disable any nvidia startup entries and/or services. I'd recommend leaving all those things enabled.

Registry entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"NvMediaCenter"="RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"

Services:

NVIDIA Display Driver Service

Unwinder
01-23-06, 08:26 AM
Quite possible! I've noticed overclocks will not get applied at startup if I disable any nvidia startup entries and/or services. I'd recommend leaving all those things enabled.

Registry entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"NvMediaCenter"="RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"

Services:

NVIDIA Display Driver Service

That doesn't depend on the service, but that _does_ depend on one of the registry entries you've mentioned. NvCplDaemon is the routine applying all the startup settings (Clocks, color scheme etc).

rewt
01-23-06, 08:32 AM
Yes and I believe nwiz.exe is for per-user settings, and NvTaskbarInit loads the tray icon.