PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a MB...

ViN86
01-23-06, 10:51 AM
well, my a8n-sli deluxe is startin to get to me. i cant run ddr500 anymore and i think its starting to give out. my replacement chipset fan seems to be dying too, as its startin to get loud.

im considering getting another motherboard, but im unsure of what to get... should i go nforce4 sli x16? or stay with the standard nf4 sli? should i go MSI, DFI, Asus? please give me suggestions, thanks.

john19055
01-23-06, 02:14 PM
they all make pretty good motherboards ,if you want to spend the extra money to get a full support for SLI16 then that up to you I do not think you will see any performance gain from just a regular nforce4 SLI board ,The DFI boards seem to overclock real good,I have a Gigabyte K8N-SLI and it overclocks good and is very stable when overclocking.

superklye
01-23-06, 02:46 PM
they all make pretty good motherboards ,if you want to spend the extra money to get a full support for SLI16 then that up to you I do not think you will see any performance gain from just a regular nforce4 SLI board ,The DFI boards seem to overclock real good,I have a Gigabyte K8N-SLI and it overclocks good and is very stable when overclocking.
I've got the same board, but mine is the Ultra (not exactly sure of the differences) and I love it. It OCs great, has a TON of features and is incredibly stable.

The only negative is that it's got a passive chipset cooler, so you're somewhat limited in how high you can OC because if the chipset gets too hot, it'll crash. I don't know how high that is as I've only gone as far as my signature shows. I'd love to go higher, but I don't think my RAM'll handle it and I'm too lazy to try right now...especially because this beast is fast enough.

Oh, and the best part is that it's one of the cheapest NF4 SLI boards out there. :D

ViN86
01-23-06, 06:54 PM
thx for the replies :)

im willing to spend up to $200, so atm price is not really an issue.

some other questions, should i go with an nf4 sli x16 chipset? am i really going to see a difference? otherwise im thinking about going with the DFI ultra board. ive also been looking at the a8n-sli premium and msi nf4 sli x16 board as well.

anyone have experience with these boards? ive been reading reviews, but i like dealin with ppl that actually own the board, gives me a better idea about the product i think.

john19055
01-23-06, 07:39 PM
I have ran my Gigabyte K8N-Pro-SLI at 285 FSB and I keep it at 264 and I have no problems with the passive cooling.

K-1
01-23-06, 07:58 PM
If you're looking at the DFI's, and willing to spend up to $200, skip over the SLI Ultra and get the SLI Expert, it's like a $5 difference in price anyways lol. I have an Expert myself and I love it. The layout is great, and the fan on the mobo is pretty quiet. I admit I have not overclocked as it's only been about a week since my upgrade, but the system has been Prime95 stable for 24 hours and my RAM is at 2-3-3-6. Ah I guess that doesn't help much after all, hehe sorry hopefully someone who's had the board longer will reply.

ViN86
01-23-06, 08:59 PM
any and all suggestions/comments are welcomed :D

yes, thats the board i mean, the expert. im definitely looking for a quieter solution as this chipset fan on this a8n-sli deluxe is starting to get to me (and this is the replacement one). also, i fear that there may be something wrong with the board as i cannot run DDR500 stable whatsoever, and it resulted in me RMA'ing my crucial ballistix pc4000 3 times. i definitely want an OC'ers board this time around.

|MaguS|
01-23-06, 09:11 PM
DFI SLI-DR Expert! I love this board, I made my roommate get one also. :D

nV`andrew
01-23-06, 09:11 PM
any and all suggestions/comments are welcomed :D
................ i definitely want an OC'ers board this time around.

just get jakups board =D

jAkUp
01-23-06, 10:09 PM
DFI eXpert FTW!

dandano
01-24-06, 01:17 AM
Rememebr, the A8N32-SLI deluxe is a bit over $200, more like $240-$250. Everyone seems to rave about the DFI expert, and if you want to overclock, that seems like the way to go.

ViN86
01-24-06, 12:42 PM
thx everyone for all the suggestions :D

im definitely going to go for the expert. what put me over the top is the built in memtest86 and its insane OC'ing (ppl were hitting 450+ fsb on them and you can change the chipset voltage.... INSANE) potential. itll be a little while before i get one, as im going to request it for my birthday (heh, jackpot).

thx again guys

Dazz
01-24-06, 01:45 PM
I had the NF4 SLi-D and could do 450MHz FSB also of corse had to lower the memory but it was impressive. I wish i never got rid of it now :(