PDA

View Full Version : motherboard vs cpu

bdbell
01-23-06, 12:12 PM
i have a Mach Speed Matrix PM9MS Socket 478 Motherboard with a Intel Celeron 340 2.93Ghz 533FSB CPU thats 5 months old and just quit. won't start up period. i checked the power supply and it's not the problem. is there an easy way to tell if it's the mb, cpu, or both?

ViN86
01-23-06, 12:26 PM
youd probably need another cpu and motherboard to test it out. does it post? or does it not even turn on? what exactly do you mean when you say it just died?

bdbell
01-23-06, 12:32 PM
apparently it locked up while my wife was using it. i got home and it was off ( i think she ended up flippin' the switch on the back of the power supply to turn the computer off) and it won't turn on. no lights, no beeps, no fans, nothing.

nV`andrew
01-23-06, 01:00 PM
this happened to my new computer when i was trying to install more ram. it just locked up and wouldnt turn on even if i switched the memory up and stuff. try clearing the cmos and taking out the mobo/cmos battery out for a bit and pop it back in. it could be the mobo battery thats dead. do the little capacitors(sp?) look swollen at all? or the memory...so many possibilities.

it is probably the mobo as u should see a little light on it when the psu is on. if theres no light at all, im guessing it is the motherboard

Starscream
01-23-06, 02:07 PM
How did you "check the power supply"?

What you need to do is find another system to test your cpu in and if it works get a replacement motherboard.

I sell ridiculous amounts of Asrock motherboards, they are super cheap and quite reliable. If I were you I'd replace that dead board with one of these: http://www.asrock.com/product/P4VM800.htm

It's the same chipset as your dead one so you probably won't even have to reload windows.

zoomy942
01-23-06, 02:35 PM
something i do to test out motherboard vs cpu vs memory..

take out all the memory and turn on your pc. it should beep like crazy at you.

also, put the ram back in and take out the CPU.

this should show you (most likely) what part is no longer with us