PDA

View Full Version : Creative Sound card differences...

ragejg
01-17-03, 06:56 AM
Ok, I sold my SBLive Value (no probs except a little crackling in ArmyOps), and am getting new cards for my gaming pc and my HTPC... both XP16/1800's w/DDR, one a VIA chipset(gamer), the other(HTPC) an SiS735.

I purchased an internal Audigy, a SBLive! 5.1 mp3 (i think), and an SBLive! X-Gamer... One's going into a friend's system...

Would the SBlive 5.1 be an ok setup for the HTPC as opposed to the audigy, or does the audigy offer that much better audio quality? I don't have the greatest speakers on my gaming PC, so I'm debating as to which card should go in what system...

The X-Gamer's only a 4.1, right?

See, that card throws a snag in things, too, as I may only have 4 spkrs and a sub...

AAAAA!!!

Can you guys/gals give me some feedback? I'm soundcard-confused...

Smokey
01-17-03, 12:00 PM
Take a trip over to http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/ and check out thier forums. I have only started going thier recently, but it is a wealth of info over thier on anything to do with sound. From what I have read, going from a Live to an Audigy even if its the first one, is quite a big jump in sound quality, and with the latest drivers the Audigy2 is the best sound card for everything for its price.

StealthHawk
01-17-03, 05:42 PM
while on the subject of Sound Blaster Live!, i would like to know if anyone has tried using the hacked Audigy drivers on their sblives or has heard anything about this.

i have heard people say you get better sound by using Audigy drivers, get lower CPU utilization, or get no change whatsoever.

what are the real truths?

Smokey
01-17-03, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
while on the subject of Sound Blaster Live!, i would like to know if anyone has tried using the hacked Audigy drivers on their sblives or has heard anything about this.

i have heard people say you get better sound by using Audigy drivers, get lower CPU utilization, or get no change whatsoever.

what are the real truths?

Which are the "hacked" Audigy drivers? Im using the 283 drivers and they are called Audigy2 drivers. Sound quality for me is better than the offical drivers from creatives site, better in the sense that they are louder, Ive had to turn my volume down on everything, which to me is a good thing. As for the cpu utilization, I just did a quick test using Winamp2 and WMP9 and played a MP3. Without playing anything my cpu utilization was at around 5%, playing a MP3 in WMP9 it went upto around 50% constant. With Wiamp2 it stayed around 25% !! btw im using the MAD pluggin for Winamp2 if this means anything? Know I dont know if this is good or not as I havent looked before with the other drivers. Hope this helps.

StealthHawk
01-18-03, 12:41 AM
well the "hacked" drivers allow you to install Audigy drivers for a sblive card, which is not normally possible.

Kruno
01-18-03, 02:42 AM
So what do you guys recomend for my SBLive?
Audigy 2 drivers?
I used winamp (without plugins as it was Winamp 3) and had 1% average cpu utilisation.

Smokey
01-18-03, 10:48 AM
You both should check my first link ;) I believe that the 283 are the best for sound, Stealth, they may well be the hacked drivers you are talking about. They detect my SBLive and are certified for what its worth. It one driver for all OS, just the drivers is something like 20mb+ but the only place I could get the from was some site in Asia somewhere, and the dl speeds are very slow. BTW I just installed over the old drivers so that I could keep my Creative Soundmixer, as the 283 driver zip I dl only installs the drivers, nothing else. You can dl the software pack, which will work with the the SBLive, but at around 100mb, dl at 6k/sec.....no thanks :p

StealthHawk
01-19-03, 05:39 AM
it actually sounds like the 323 drivers are unanimously better than the 283 drivers.

here's a good tutorial for installing Audigy2 drivers on other Creative cards

http://www.tech-pc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8736

Smokey
01-19-03, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
it actually sounds like the 323 drivers are unanimously better than the 283 drivers.

here's a good tutorial for installing Audigy2 drivers on other Creative cards

http://www.tech-pc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8736

Thanks for the heads up, after reading that thread here is what I have done.

Did a search on google for creative drivers, found the direct link to the creative asia site here (http://asia.creative.com/support/drivers/welcome.asp?region=1&LangID=1033&OS=%23WinXP%23&prod=%23sb%5Faudigy2%23&Select=Get+Files&Submit=Get+Files&x=30&y=4)

DL the Audigy2 driver pack. Then using Winzip, unzipped the exe file to a temp folder. Then went into the drivers folder that is created, and hit the CTZAPXX.exe file and the drivers installed. So I dont know why people use "hacked" drivers :confused: Unless of corse there is more to it than that?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=61736

Im going to install some of the other software now and will update you on how it goes, ill do some more testing soon, so far they sound good.

StealthHawk
01-19-03, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
So I dont know why people use "hacked" drivers :confused:

i would venture to say that most people are probbly too lazy or too stupid to install it themselves and/or they don't know how easy it really is.

Dazz
01-19-03, 05:19 PM
I use the lates Audigy 2 drivers on my Audigy and they are great, LOTs of nice options better software and of course it adds more base :cool:

Correction i don't use the hack, the drivers install right away without any problems :)

Smokey
01-19-03, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
I use the lates Audigy 2 drivers on my Audigy and they are great, LOTs of nice options better software and of course it adds more base :cool:

Correction i don't use the hack, the drivers install right away without any problems :)

Yeah they are the ones I was using before on my SBLive, if you go to the link I posted, you can dl newer drivers there direct from CL ASIA, the drivers install fine same as the last ones, but I cant install the Audigy2 software. So my guess is that the hacked drivers are so you can install the software, but Ive never installed anything before other than the drivers and speaker set up anyways, so Im not really that bothered. SO far so good and they get the :thumbsup: from me.

lagadu
01-19-03, 07:57 PM
i have a sblive 5.1, i tried using the audigy ones with it, but got a decrease as it messed up the surround and i couldn't balance, so no audigy drivers for me (it's been a while tho)...
the drivers that sound best for me are the kx project drivers (http://kxproject.spb.ru/)....

StealthHawk
01-19-03, 09:40 PM
i've heard nice things about the kx drivers. unfortunately, they don't support EAX or any other 3d sound standards :(

which is a big no-no for me.