PDA

View Full Version : Now that ATI is back on top when will we see the G71??

Pages : [1] 2

JamesDax
01-24-06, 07:06 AM
NDA is lifted and it looks like the new ATI card is besting the 7800GTX 512 across the board. So, how long before Nvidia makes there move?

Victorshen
01-24-06, 07:12 AM
March.......

Ronin
01-24-06, 12:09 PM
Late Feb/Early March.

nVIDIA isn't worried. :p

And yeah, the R580 is doing a better job, but not nearly a better job as people were expecting. It's a lackluster release for ATi, I'm afraid.

Slammin
01-24-06, 12:51 PM
Late? Maybe. Lackluster? Umm, okie. :beer2:

mike686
01-24-06, 12:53 PM
I can see G71 having a 20 FPS lead over the X1900XtXTXTXTXT in every game... what does everyones else think?

anticitizenzero
01-24-06, 01:02 PM
I'm sure they'll have it out just in time for the next slew of demanding games lile Oblivion, Prey, ect...

Ronin
01-24-06, 01:14 PM
Late? Maybe. Lackluster? Umm, okie. :beer2:

Considering the card configuration, I think lackluster is a good descriptor.

NoWayDude
01-24-06, 01:47 PM
Me looks into the future for G80/R600
Can not justify a new card now, with Vista just around the corner.
And i'm sure new games will be just playable on my now "old" setup.

fatal1ty
01-24-06, 01:50 PM
HAHAHA - funny how excited this forum was when an overpriced refresh to the GTX was released. (duel)

Here's hoping Nvidia finally fixes shimmering with the G71. No need to continue releasing products that have sub-par IQ ;)

OWA
01-24-06, 01:55 PM
Don't you hate that you just recently bought the X1800XT only to see it killed by the X1900? I'm waiting to see a "sold the X1800XT" in your tagline. ;)

ViN86
01-24-06, 03:21 PM
i got my GTX for vista, ill worry about gaming after vista becomes standard.
</sarcasm>

im sure nvidia will respond with full force. thats been the pattern lately. they barely had to do anything to respond to the x1800xt, just up some clock speeds and use some different memory from samsung. the g70 core should be nothing short of incredible though

SH64
01-24-06, 03:22 PM
Don't you hate that you just recently bought the X1800XT only to see it killed by the X1900? I'm waiting to see a "sold the X1800XT" in your tagline. ;)

Yeah ... too bad to see how the X1800XT was short lived.
the X1900 is doing great & i'm expecting even better performance in future games that rely heavily on fragment shaders.
also i'm expecting the G71 to outperfom the X1900XTX by a slight advantage if the rumored specs appeared to be true.

NoWayDude
01-24-06, 05:03 PM
HAHAHA - funny how excited this forum was when an overpriced refresh to the GTX was released. (duel)

Here's hoping Nvidia finally fixes shimmering with the G71. No need to continue releasing products that have sub-par IQ ;)

That's why i still have my "old" 7800GTX
Now tell me, does all this new arrivals justify the up grade?
Specialy whn some people only just got either a 7800GTX512 or a X1800?
Somehow, me personaly, don't think so
And besides, were you not all happy when the X1800 came out?What happened?Felt short changed now? ;)

Acid Rain
01-24-06, 08:14 PM
Yeah ... too bad to see how the X1800XT was short lived. An example of what happens when your opponent forces your hand.

a12ctic
01-24-06, 09:21 PM
i got my GTX for vista, ill worry about gaming after vista becomes standard.
</sarcasm>

im sure nvidia will respond with full force. thats been the pattern lately. they barely had to do anything to respond to the x1800xt, just up some clock speeds and use some different memory from samsung. the g70 core should be nothing short of incredible though
even though ms says their putting all this good stuff in vista, i dought it will be very differnt than what theyve been repackaging for the last 10 years

emailthatguy
01-24-06, 09:31 PM
NDA is lifted and it looks like the new ATI card is besting the 7800GTX 512 across the board. So, how long before Nvidia makes there move?

hang on there champ.

the 1900xt is about as fast as a 512mb gtx all day long, and in crossfire vs sli, its a lil slower. but for sake of the discussion, lets split the difference and say its about as fast.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTUzLDEy

if you look at the graphs in that article youll see that average fps arent all that great.

the quake 4 tests there is 1 frame per second difference between both setups in either single or sli modes

in fear nvidia solutions take the cake across the board in dual card setups

in serious sam 2 nvidia solutions beat the ati solutions handilly

now in the need for speed most wanted test we finally see only in a dual card solution that ati takes a lead of any kind. score 1 for ati i guess for a racing game that aint all that great in the first place.

call of duty tests within 1-2 fps

bf2 tests going again to nvidia

everquest 2 tests within 3-4 fps across the board between them.

2-4 fps across the board in the sims 2 (not that any of us care about the sims 2)

the point of pointing this all out?

well, where the hell do you get "the new ATI card is besting the 7800GTX 512 across the board"

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

if anything i think its funny. it took ati a year to make a card setup thats as fast as my 7800gtx's.

yep, its almost been a year already.

when g71 comes out all the ati fanboys can look forward to another year of waiting for "ati's answer". funny. i never thought severe tardiness was an answer to anything.

heatlesssun
01-24-06, 10:02 PM
I've been going through the reviews, and its kinda hard to figure out EXACTLY all the numbers in the various games. HotHardware is even saying that 512 GTX SLI is a little faster in F.E.A.R. than CrossFire. In single card mode, it's the other way around!

In any case, the X1900 is a nice card, but if you've already got a 512 GTX or X1800XT, then just it this one out. Sure, in future games, the X1900 might distance itself because of the shader power it has, but by then next gen cards will be here which will beat the X1900.

It is good to see ATI perform well here though, because now nVidia has to up the ante obviously, and a $750 ghost card ain't going to do it. (I've got two of them by the way!)

JamesDax
01-24-06, 10:02 PM
hang on there champ.

the 1900xt is about as fast as a 512mb gtx all day long, and in crossfire vs sli, its a lil slower. but for sake of the discussion, lets split the difference and say its about as fast.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTUzLDEy

if you look at the graphs in that article youll see that average fps arent all that great.

the quake 4 tests there is 1 frame per second difference between both setups in either single or sli modes

in fear nvidia solutions take the cake across the board in dual card setups

in serious sam 2 nvidia solutions beat the ati solutions handilly

now in the need for speed most wanted test we finally see only in a dual card solution that ati takes a lead of any kind. score 1 for ati i guess for a racing game that aint all that great in the first place.

call of duty tests within 1-2 fps

bf2 tests going again to nvidia

everquest 2 tests within 3-4 fps across the board between them.

2-4 fps across the board in the sims 2 (not that any of us care about the sims 2)

the point of pointing this all out?

well, where the hell do you get "the new ATI card is besting the 7800GTX 512 across the board"

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

if anything i think its funny. it took ati a year to make a card setup thats as fast as my 7800gtx's.

yep, its almost been a year already.

when g71 comes out all the ati fanboys can look forward to another year of waiting for "ati's answer". funny. i never thought severe tardiness was an answer to anything.

After looking at a few more reviews I'd have to agree with you. Looks like when it's all said and done that the two are about even give or take a few fps. I stand corrected.

Ronin
01-24-06, 10:09 PM
even though ms says their putting all this good stuff in vista, i dought it will be very differnt than what theyve been repackaging for the last 10 years

Heh...have you seen Vista, or had a chance to use it?

Redeemed
01-24-06, 10:18 PM
Heh...have you seen Vista, or had a chance to use it?

Probably not. And it isn't necessarily Vista in and of itself that most are hyped about. It is the "technological path" that Vista will be paving for future versions of Windows. There are a lot of good things coming with Vista, many of which we wont see the benefit of till later. Great example would be DX10. Also, the new file system that will probably come in the first Service Pack for Vista. Infact, I talked to a beta tester for Vista, and he said that if MS delivers all that they've been promising with Vista, the difference will be like going from DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 to Windows 95- if not greater. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Leave it to the Linux fanboys and Macaddicts to down Windows any opportunity they get.

Anyways, I'm pretty impressed with the X1900XTX. Afterall, it is a pretty solid performer, considering that its counter part (the 512MB GTX) is NOT exactly widely available and the XTX is. Keep in mind that ATI originally wanted to deliver both RD580 and the R580 at the same time, but due to availability with the RD580 they scratched that idea. For all we know, we might see a performance bump for the X1900 series on the new chipset. Plus, with more mature drivers I'm sure the X1900 series will show more umph. Maybe not enough to fully counter the G71, but keep close to it in terms or performance probably.

I'm sort of overlooking this generation. I MIGHT get the 7800GS if it ever comes to AGP and is priced right, other than that I've got my eyes set on the next gen as I'll be building myself a whole new rig sometime next year (atleast, I HOPE to. ;) ).

fatal1ty
01-24-06, 11:03 PM

haha my X1900XTX will be here Thursday! ;)

Thats funny OWA - I see yours is for sale too :P

heatlesssun
01-24-06, 11:25 PM
You just got the fastest card on the planet, but you'll need two to beat me!

OWA
01-24-06, 11:42 PM
haha my X1900XTX will be here Thursday! ;)

Thats funny OWA - I see yours is for sale too :P
Yeah, sometimes I wish I had a little patience. :)

bkswaney
01-24-06, 11:48 PM
Yeah, sometimes I wish I had a little patience. :)

This is something I've learned over MANY years of this. "lol"

Plus "I" cannot see spending a penny over 400 bucks
for a videocard. I drew a line in the sand when a top
of the line card went over 400 bucks.
Now I have to wait to get top cards till prices fall to that mark.

fatal1ty
01-24-06, 11:54 PM
This is something I've learned over MANY years of this. "lol"

Plus "I" cannot see spending a penny over 400 bucks
for a videocard. I drew a line in the sand when a top
of the line card went over 400 bucks.
Now I have to wait to get top cards till prices fall to that mark.

Man you need to wipe that line in the sand and redraw it a bit higher...

You'd still be a few generations behind at $400... :p