PDA

View Full Version : Asus 7800GT Duel

mojoicus
01-25-06, 05:04 AM
Let me start by saying the 1st card i had was faulty and had to be returned
Right the new card came i installed it plugged the external power supply in rebooted into windows card was only seen as a single Gt card Had to put in the other pci e slot this time on reboot it was seen correctly.
But this is when all my problems started on trying any 3d mark or any graphic intensive game the computer would reboot everytime i tryed bios tweaks different settings in forceware without any results I was ready to sling this card out the window with frustration.
Then i thought id try one more thing i i disconnected the external power supply and used my own internal one coolermaster 450 real power .
Tried all the programs again and guess what they all now work perfectly :):) So to sum it up if you are getting big headaches with this card
1 : try the other pci-e slot
2 : dont use the external power supply if your in the UK (dont know if that bit is relevant)
Then you should be ok
3D mark 2001 28978
3D mark 2003 26214
3D mark 2005 11669
3D mark 2006 5902
These were acheived with an optron 148 at 2700 so can probably get more with a bit of overclocking Hope this helps other people with problems
Overall with games this thing flies like the wind very very impressive
And now Kompett have it at 549
Feel free to comment

Manware
01-25-06, 06:24 AM
without the external power supply ? maybe its broken, you have a good psu because this card needs a electric central plug :) you should see the frames per second in games to see if a solid rock with your psu.

enjoy it

excuse me for my english is poor :o

pibrahim
01-25-06, 09:12 AM
What mobo are you using?

With my A8N32-SLI, it only displayed 1 GPU in the top (blue) slot but displayed both in the bottom (black). I've e-mailed Asus asking why this is (as I want to get two and dabble with Quad GPUs), no response yet.

But with a K8N Diamond Plus (also an SLIx16 mobo), only 1 GPU in the top slot. Cannot run it in the bottom - it looks like MSI mobos only use the secondary slot when the primary is also used... bit of a pickle...

mojoicus
01-25-06, 11:05 AM
I use an Asus sli premium
I tried in the black slot 1st and it was only seen as one card had to put it in the top blue slot which is strange as you stated you use the opposite
Its been absoloutly rock solid since.
In the half life 2 stress test it got 98.5 which is awsome in Fear i have it at maximum everything except soft shadows and its 90% over 40 fps
Im very very happy with the card now its all up and running grt
+ the 1st card had the same issuse while it was working rebooting in 3d so maybe its an issuse with the UK power supply ?
But this set up now works and thats all im bothered about now :)
If you want to dabble in quad then youll have to wait for updated drivers 1st

ViN86
01-25-06, 11:18 AM
cant use the external power supply in the UK? maybe its a 220V issue? idk, you should definitely send an email to Asus about that.

mojoicus
01-25-06, 11:28 AM
Im not saying cant im saying it didnt work for me if anyone else has the same issues in the UK then its very likley a UK power issue very strange to as non of the reviews mention it being an issue

mojoicus
01-25-06, 11:50 AM
What mobo are you using?

With my A8N32-SLI, it only displayed 1 GPU in the top (blue) slot but displayed both in the bottom (black). I've e-mailed Asus asking why this is (as I want to get two and dabble with Quad GPUs), no response yet.

But with a K8N Diamond Plus (also an SLIx16 mobo), only 1 GPU in the top slot. Cannot run it in the bottom - it looks like MSI mobos only use the secondary slot when the primary is also used... bit of a pickle...

Is it in the supported motherboard list ?

pibrahim
01-25-06, 01:16 PM
Is it in the supported motherboard list ?

A8N32-SLI is.
K8N Diamond Plus isn't, but thats because it's very new (newest SLix16 mobo out) and I doubt Asus have 1) tested it yet, or 2) updated their product page. In any event, it's the same chipset as the A8N32-SLI so there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm surprised that you had a problem with one slot. *every* instance I've read about it not working properly in one slot has been with the A8N32-SLI; several review sites used the regular A8N-SLI and seemed to get it working okay in both slots.

I've e-mailed Asus and still haven't heard back. Their tech support is absolute garbage. How I wish that eVGA made a dual GPU card.

pibrahim
01-25-06, 01:20 PM
Can you do me a favour? Right click the nVidia icon in the taskbar, highlight 'NVIDIA Display' and click the submenu within (which will be your monitor's name).

It brings up the nVidia Control Panel where you can change various options and it also tells you driver version, etc.

On the very top page, it says the Processor name, Video BIOS version, IRQ, Bus, etc. Can you tell me what yours says in the 'Bus' column - PCI Express x8 or x16?

mojoicus
01-25-06, 01:25 PM

pibrahim
01-25-06, 01:42 PM
Hmm, that's what I have too.

So it's clearly 'splitting' the bandwith to the two GPUs which is right, it's just not displaying that second one. Think it may be something to do with the nForce drivers perhaps...

mojoicus
01-25-06, 01:51 PM
maybe or a bios setting maybe
I still cant believe the performance in 3d mark and games stunning

pibrahim
01-25-06, 02:06 PM
Nah, I'm pretty certain it's a driver issue with Forceware or nForce drivers involved. Card doesn't work (properly) on the primary slot of any SLIx16 motherboard, numerous forum posts and reviews show it's a pretty big issue. Just wish Asus would hurry up and do something about it.

But yeah, when I had it working in the secondary slot of my A8N32, it was pretty neat. Scored a shade under 11k in 3DMark05, about 5,600 in 3DMark06.

ViN86
01-25-06, 02:41 PM
so, is the performance there or not? cause if its using two gpu's, but it only says that its using one, who cares right?

mojoicus
01-25-06, 03:16 PM
well mine works grt and the performance is absolutly excellent
Just been playin Fear maxed out without a stutter completely transformed the game for me it has a massive wow factor now

pibrahim
01-25-06, 03:32 PM
so, is the performance there or not? cause if its using two gpu's, but it only says that its using one, who cares right?

When the two GPUs are shown, you get SLI mode, around 11k in 3DMark05.
When only one is shown, only working like a regular GT, 7k in 3DMark05.

I'm sure it's a driver issue, just very impatient...