PDA

View Full Version : Need to upgrade, help me please !

Nvidiot222
01-25-06, 09:27 AM
Hi guys.

My current specs are :

AMD Athlon64 3400+ (s754) @ stock speeds, stock cooling.
MSI K8T Neo
1GB RAM PC 3200 DDR-400
BBA Radeon 9700 pro @ stock This I want to upgrade.

My micro is not super fast, but i think it is decent.
I want to upgrade the Grpahics card, and I want to stick with AGP interfase, later this year i will build myself a new PC, and then i will go to PCI-E, but not now.

I was thinking to buy a 6800GS, but i would like to know how slower this card is compared to it`s PCI-E version, i read reviews of this card vs 6800GT and it is practically the same, but that`s the PCI-E version, not the AGP one reviewed.
My monitor max res is 1280*1024, so do you guys think with this card i could play most games @ max settings ? with AA n AF ?

Also i was thinking of X800XL, same questions as above, but i am not sure, i want to go with Nvidia this time, i think ATI catalyst really suck, i have lot`s of problems due to this.
X800GTO 2 looks nice too, but i looked them up in Newegg and Amazon, i can`t find them in AGP, they must be out of stock :(

I also read rumors about 7800GS coming in AGP interfase, this could be a winner too, but it`s only a rumor and no word of any specs, benchs....

I can afford to buy something in the $250~$280 range.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys :)

nV`andrew
01-25-06, 09:43 AM
Go with the 6800GS. That's a great price/performance ratio right there. Get your best bang for your buck...(nana2)

Nvidiot222
01-25-06, 09:47 AM
Go with the 6800GS. That's a great price/performance ratio right there. Get your best bang for your buck...(nana2)

Thanks for answering.
I know the PCI-E 6800GS is a great card, but i am not sure about the AGP one, i know it uses old NV40 chip, and less pipelines,VS, so I think it is not as good as the PCIE one, that`s my main concern.

Mloot
01-25-06, 09:58 AM
The AGP 6800GS runs at lower clock rates that its PCI-E counterpart. It does, however, use the same core as the 6800GT, with 4 of its pixel pipelines locked. Alot of the AGP 6800GS's can have their pipelines unlocked via Rivatuner, in which case you basically have a full-fledged 6800GT, but the unlock is not guaranteed. Some cards don't unlock properly, and you could get stuck with a 12-pipe card. If you are looking to spend $200-$250, I would suggest getting the X850XT AGP from Microcenter, which is currently $249, but it comes with a $50 mail-in-rebate until Jan. 31st. This is a guaranteed 16-pipe card, and in most cases is as fast, or faster, than an unlocked 6800GS. Here's the link:

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=02179 99

Nvidiot222
01-25-06, 10:05 AM
Thanks Mloot.

I will check that out.
What about SM 3 and HDR ? Ati X8XX cards do not suport that right ?

And about the pipe unlocking via RivaTurner, i have to do that, or any Retail company like XFX or EVGA sell their cards with that done ? :P

I am kinda noob at this things, so i would never dare to overclock or try to unlock stuff by myself :(

Mloot
01-25-06, 10:20 AM
No, the X800 cards do not support HDR or SM3, but turning those options on with a GS is going to put a hurting on that card, as well.

AFAIK, none of the card manufacturers are selling unlocked GS's. I may be wrong, but I believe the pipe unlocking procedure is fairly harmless, and if you find that you have damaged pipelines, you can easily revert your card back to its original, 12-pipe configuration.