PDA

View Full Version : Best non-SLI nforce4 motherboard?

dandano
01-25-06, 12:00 PM
I am thinking of using the old ram and graphics cards form my main system to make the wife her own windows box (so that she stops using mine!) It should be a socket 939 board with PCI-E graphics. It wil mainly be used for math stuff like Mathlab and SPSS (a statistics program). My main concerns are stability and longevity. This box won't be overclocked. She will also probably use it for pictures and music too, so I will probably hand down my audigy2 ZS and get an X-Fi for myself.

So what board do you think is best given these criteria and why?

danh

nutball
01-25-06, 12:46 PM
Well I can tell you which mobo I've got my eye on for my next build, and that is the Gigabyte K8NF-9 Ultra. Most NF4 boards have a fan on the Northbridge, and being 40mm fans they are very noisy little buggers. Not good if you want to concentrate on maths and statistics I'd say.

My other motives for this board is that it allows for undervolting of the CPU. This means less power -> less heat -> I can use less powerful fans -> quieter operation. I'm a stickler for silence you see.

(The other plus for me is that it supports USB resume from S3[STR], but that's kind of esoteric requirement :D).

Well... I don't have experience of this board of course 'cos I haven't bought it yet, but I thought I'd just bring it to your attention.

dandano
01-25-06, 01:18 PM
Well I can tell you which mobo I've got my eye on for my next build, and that is the Gigabyte K8NF-9 Ultra. Most NF4 boards have a fan on the Northbridge, and being 40mm fans they are very noisy little buggers. Not good if you want to concentrate on maths and statistics I'd say.

I have used this board a couple times at work. It's good, so far. Unfortunately I can't be sure if the online dealers don't have the version of this board with the heatsink. I'm confused if the are offering the GA-K8NF-9 Ultra or a non-ultra version that has a fan instead of a heatsink. Take a look at newegg, mwave and zipzoomfly to see what I mean.

danh

nutball
01-25-06, 03:13 PM
Yes I know what you mean, there are something like 3 mobos with very similar names. I *nearly* bought the non-Ultra off eBay for a real good price (20) before I caught myself and did a thorough check and realised that it wasn't what I wanted.

I guess it pays to get explicit confirmation in writing from the dealer what they're selling you, then you can send it back if needed (big hassle though!).

gjwild
01-26-06, 08:56 AM
I really enjoy the EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra, it is an awesome board and very stable. It is worthy of a hard look should you want a non-SLI capable Athlon64 system. It is proven to be a great motherboard.Review (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2465)