PDA

View Full Version : System Devices

seeker
01-25-06, 01:51 PM
While poking around, and checking in the Device Manager, I found that the properties of some of the system devices showed that no drivers were installed for them. At first, I thought that I understood this, because all of them are related to the "Via Standard PCI to ISA Bridge", which I thought was because there is no ISA slot. However, some functions having the same relationship are shown as functioning and with drivers. The inoperative devices are: 1. Direct Memory Access Controller. 2. 3 devices labeled Motherboard Resources. 3. Numeric Data Processor. 4. Programmable Interrupt Controller. 5. System Speaker. 5. System Timer. Plus one device "System board", which doesn't seem to be related to the ISA problems above.

At this point, I confused, because the system seems to work okay, but I doubt that so many items should be inoperative. Does anyone have a clue what this is all about?

crainger
01-25-06, 05:47 PM
That is strange. For systems devices such as that, I can only think to re-install the Chipset/Motherboard drivers. These would be your nForce drivers. If that fails a re-install or repair of Windows might be in order.

seeker
01-25-06, 06:24 PM
The chipset isn't nForce, it's VIA, and that uses the 4n1 drivers. I have been stalling about doing anything, because I sent an email to Asus. However, judging from my past experience with them...at least the tech that responded, all that I got in response to my questions, was alot of stonewalling. That is why I posted this here also, hoping that someone was smarter about this than I am. Even more odd, is the fact that none of the devices show up in "other devices" or are marked with a ! or ?, just the notations that I mentioned. Judging by the nomenclatures, the items are essential to more than just an ISA device.

Before I could do any repair, I would have to be able to enter "safe mode", but for reasons that I mentioned in another thread, I haven't been able to do so. As far as a reinstallation of Windows, that would be a last resort, because I am weary of that. I really don't think that this is a Windows problem, but an Asus problem.

crainger
01-25-06, 06:38 PM
Sorry, I should have cheeck the chipset. I'll read your other threads but from the checking I have been doing the drivers for the devices you have listed are system devices that Windows provides the drivers for. So a reinstall may be your only answer.

Have you tried updating the driver and letting Windows seek out the right driver?

Ok I have read the other thread and I have turned up a number of thread detailing the same problems you are having, notably the issue with gagp30kx.sys and they all have the same Asus motherboard. The Promise RAID controller also pops up in alot of the threads. I'll post the links though I'm sure you have probably seen them before.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/archive/index.php/t-50889.html
http://www.ocforums.com/printthread.php?t=375731

seeker
01-25-06, 06:53 PM
No, I hadn't tried that, but since you suggested it, I just did. Since I wasn't sure what to look for, I just used the automatic search and on all counts, it said that it couldn't find a better driver. When I clicked on the driver details button, it said that no drivers were installed or required. Before I do anything drastic, I'll wait to see what Asus says. It may be, that this chipset doesn't use those devices, but it is strange that they would still be listed in the Device Manager, if that were true.

seeker
01-25-06, 06:59 PM
Ok I have read the other thread and I have turned up a number of thread detailing the same problems you are having, notably the issue with gagp30kx.sys and they all have the same Asus motherboard. The Promise RAID controller also pops up in alot of the threads. I'll post the links though I'm sure you have probably seen them before.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/archive/index.php/t-50889.html
http://www.ocforums.com/printthread.php?t=375731
Your first link doesn't work. I have found some information about this driver and safe mode before, but none in which a solution was found.

On the raid controller, it isn't Promise, it is the VIA8237

seeker
01-28-06, 11:38 PM
I had to do a repair installation of Windows today, because of a BSOD, and the problem remains with the system devices. Therefore, I really doubt that a clean install would fare any better. I really wish that Asus had some tech support and that they would reply to my questions. I've just about decide to pull this mobo and have the vendor replace it. I didn't know when I bought this, but the deluxe version has some features that I want, but I do not know if the vendor will let me upgrade it or not.