PDA

View Full Version : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Power connection question?

Digital_Trans
01-26-06, 02:40 AM
Does the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality sound card require a power connection running to it?
I've circled two areas on this card that are of a concern to me.

Superfly
01-26-06, 04:29 AM
power is required for the break out box I think - the music cards dont need power.

sharangad
01-26-06, 06:43 AM
Does the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality sound card require a power connection running to it?
I've circled two areas on this card that are of a concern to me.

The internal drive requires a 3.5" floppy power connector to be connected to it ( the drive, not the card).

The external drive (elite pro style)bay requires a power connector to be connected to the card.

superklye
01-26-06, 07:37 AM
The internal drive requires a 3.5" floppy power connector to be connected to it ( the drive, not the card).

The external drive (elite pro style)bay requires a power connector to be connected to the card.
Yup...I had to plug a floppy drive connector to my X-Fi card because the huge breakout box (which I love dearly) has no external power supply.

Roliath
01-26-06, 08:48 AM
My XM came with a small black heatsink on it, did anyone else's come with a heatsink?

Digital_Trans
01-26-06, 08:53 AM

Right, I have a 3 1/2 molex connector running to the bay drive. I also have that long ribon that runs from the bay drive to the sound card. So what you mean is, as long as I have power running the bay drive...I shouldn't have any worries right? :D

CaptNKILL
01-26-06, 09:20 AM
My XM came with a small black heatsink on it, did anyone else's come with a heatsink?
Yep, the later ones got the heatsinks. Mine has one, and I bought in December.

superklye
01-26-06, 09:52 AM
I don't think mind does.

Superfly
01-26-06, 09:59 AM
I dont have a heatsink either. (bought late December).

Roliath
01-26-06, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread Digital_Trans!

I wonder why they decided to put heatsinks on them, I can't imagine them getting that hot..

Superfly
01-26-06, 10:50 AM
no idea - could be modded with a heasksink very easily if needed.

sharangad
01-26-06, 12:33 PM
Right, I have a 3 1/2 molex connector running to the bay drive. I also have that long ribon that runs from the bay drive to the sound card. So what you mean is, as long as I have power running the bay drive...I shouldn't have any worries right? :D

Yeah. The internal drive bay has is own connector (which you've connected). The soundcard doesn't need any othe power connectors for the internal drive bay.

( It does though if you connect one of these:http://uk.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?category=14&subcategory=0&product=1115&)

Roliath
01-26-06, 12:51 PM
no idea - could be modded with a heasksink very easily if needed.
True, I added a copper heatsink similar to the one that comes with the "new" XM to my Audigy 2 ZS. Not sure if helped but it looked nice.

superklye
01-26-06, 01:10 PM
Yeah. The internal drive bay has is own connector (which you've connected). The soundcard doesn't need any othe power connectors for the internal drive bay.

( It does though if you connect one of these:http://uk.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?category=14&subcategory=0&product=1115&)
Wow, I have to admitÖIím a little upset that the breakout box can just be bought on its own now. I mean, yeah, itís like US $250, so itís not like someone buying the XM version is paying that much less than what my Elite Pro cost and it isnít adding the higher quality DACs or 64MB of X-RAM, but stillÖ

Digital_Trans
01-27-06, 12:30 AM
Yep, the later ones got the heatsinks. Mine has one, and I bought in December.

Do you have a picture of what this heatsink looks like on the card? (nana2)

Digital_Trans
01-27-06, 12:32 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread Digital_Trans!

I wonder why they decided to put heatsinks on them, I can't imagine them getting that hot..

No problem mate! Please share your insight and experience. Knowledge is power! :)