PDA

View Full Version : nVIDIA RAID question

Zyme
01-27-06, 02:28 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to setup two 35 Gb Raptor drives as the boot array on my new A8N32. The RAID config (and the BIOS) finds the drives just fine, and lets me create the array--but I can't select the Set Boot option. It's greyed out.

Both drives are on adapt 1. One is Master, Channel 1, Index 0. The other is Master, Channel 0, Index 1.

Any recommendations? I have the nVIDIA BIOS functions all enabled, all SATA ports enabled in the BIOS. But since I can't set this as the boot array, WinXP install calls it the E: drive and that's no good.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Z

verboten
01-27-06, 07:56 AM
Are the raptors they only HD's in your computer? If not, try installing windows only using the raptors.

rewt
01-27-06, 08:18 AM
Windows doesn't have to be installed on or booted from C:

If you want it on C: then you'll probably have to unhook some drives before you start the install process. You can plug them back in after you're done installing Windows, and then Windows should keep C: as drive letter.

Zyme
01-27-06, 10:41 AM
Hi Guys,
good suggestions so far, but I've tried them without success. I still can create the array but I cannot set it as the boot disk. In fact, at the highest level of the MediaSheild screen, the array is shown in a table, and in the Boot column, it says N/A. Which I assume means not available for booting.

I'm running BIOS1009 (came installed) and it differs a little from the screens shown in the manual.

I read somewhere that disabling the other RAID (silicon image) helped someone solve this problem. In my BIOS, the options for the SI RAID are: disabled, SATA2 mode, or RAID mode. None have an effect on the nVIDIA options or solve my "set boot" problem.

In the IDE configuration, this BIOS version has the following options:
At the top:
SATA1 and SATA2 enabled/disabled
SATA3 and SATA4 enabled/disabled
[In that manual these are shown as Serial-ATA1 and Serial-ATA2, which, according to the A8N32 layout--should be the SI RAID plugs. But if I disable either of these two, the individual plug settings (shown below) grey out...]

then underneath this:
nVidia RAID Function enabled/disabled
SATA1 enabled/disabled
SATA2 enabled/disabled
SATA3 enabled/disabled
SATA4 enabled/disabled

The two raptors are plugged into 1&2. I disconnected them and put two maxtors in 1&2 and again, I can create the array but I can't "set boot"
I had the DVD in the primary IDE. I've disconnected it altogether, and had it in the secondary IDE. Neither made a difference.
I've tried plugging the raptors into 1&3, same result.

Again, all the HW seems to be working fine. If I go forward and install onto the array when it's NOT the boot drive, it shows up as the E: drive, and some "USB removable" device is the C: drive, I have multiple floppys--it's all messed up at that point. E vs. C I don't particularly care--but I do want to set this array up as the boot.

Again, Thanks for the help. I'm sure someone will think of something that makes me slap my forehead and go 'D'oh!'
Z

jaldinger
02-10-06, 10:49 AM
Again, Thanks for the help. I'm sure someone will think of something that makes me slap my forehead and go 'D'oh!'

Hi,

I have the same setup as you (A8N32-SLI Deluxe with two 74GB Raptor drives in a RAID 0 array and two IDE drives for storage), and the same issue while installing Windows.

To solve it what I did is REMOVE the IDE drives from the boot sequence in the BIOS (I just left the RAID and the DVD-ROM in my boot sequence). BTW, that's why the RAID BIOS says boot N/A, because boot sequence in this case is managed through the BIOS. If you read the manual, it actually says that.

Another problem is the USB disk. Since it's kind of dynamic it will insert itself in the boot sequence before the RAID, so to prevent problems with USB disks booting first you should DISCONNECT them while booting.

Hope that helps. It did for me.

Joerg.

viiiper
04-29-06, 11:26 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to setup two 35 Gb Raptor drives as the boot array on my new A8N32. The RAID config (and the BIOS) finds the drives just fine, and lets me create the array--but I can't select the Set Boot option. It's greyed out.

Z

SYSTEM ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
FX60
2Gb 4400 sys ram [1gb / core]
7900GTXoc BFG
2x Raptor X 150gb(nana2)

Install with only the DRIVES to be in the ARRAY, raid plugged in.

Create the raid in Mediashield bios [nvidia raid bios]
you don't have to set boot at this point and
then ctrl-x to get out ...NOW reboot so that BIOS see's the RAID then boot again with CD-ROM as boot and install XP

IF you had old XP on HD nuke it all...

once booting from CD for windows XP insytallation press F6 and add the additional RAID drivers with you should of copied off onto a FLOPPY

ADD both required drivers !!!! :p [so thats F6 inset floppy , press enter, select first driver, press enter then PRESS 'S' to add another driver now select the other REQUIRED DRIVER from the FLOPPY !!]

NOW windows continues to install with licence aggrement F8 then shows you installable drives !!! THERE SHOULD only be ONE !! THE RAID

SELECT and CREATE PARTITION [ fulll capacity]

when windows is done you should have BOOT as 'C:'

NOW once in windows SHUTDOWN and plug in additional DRIVES to SATA or PATA and reboot .......

XP will still be C:

viiiper..