PDA

View Full Version : quad core by years end!!!

retsam
01-28-06, 04:34 AM
holly cow... quad core by the end of the year!!...wow.(nana2) way to go AMD!!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=460

TierMann
01-28-06, 04:56 AM
For socket F :(

YOGIx213
01-28-06, 05:00 AM
What's wrong with socket F? Not being a prick, just new to the whole AMD scene (will be moving to AMD soon though when I get more cash).

retsam
01-28-06, 05:10 AM
well socket f is a server based socket which means its helavaexpensive. what we need to remember is the fact that what goes into the high end eventually makes it into the low end. it seems AMD is the only CPU company pushing new things..intel is nowhere to be found..

superklye
01-28-06, 11:00 AM
well socket f is a server based socket which means its helavaexpensive. what we need to remember is the fact that what goes into the high end eventually makes it into the low end. it seems AMD is the only CPU company pushing new things..intel is nowhere to be found..
They're too busy gluing together Prescott cores and sticking them on the same die for their "dual core" CPUs. :D

jAkUp
01-28-06, 11:01 AM
They're too busy gluing together Prescott cores and sticking them on the same die for their "dual core" CPUs. :D

:rofl

Sazar
01-28-06, 05:03 PM

Intel is investing a lot of money in low-wattage products. There is a separate thread on this.

Once they have got this tech out, it will give them a nice boost all-around. If the performance measures up to extremely low TDP, they'll have a killer product.

Big IF though :cool:

Son Goku
01-28-06, 05:27 PM
Ya know, I just had a possible nasty thought... When one installs Windows on one of these puppies, does the installer count it as 1 CPU, or currently 2, but latter on 4 cores?

This is a possible issue, as winNT has had CPU restrictions in the past, where Workstation was only allowed 2 CPUs, server 4, Enterprise server was 8 or more I think... Unless this is counted as 1 CPU for software liscensing purposes, this could be particularly nasty for consumers. Server tends to cost more then Worstation/Pro.... I wonder how Microsoft, and other vendors which put a CPU liscensing restriction on their software, counts these processors?

superklye
01-28-06, 05:36 PM
It's one CPU, two cores.

nutball
01-29-06, 03:33 AM
IIRC MS's initial position (a year or so before multi-core came out) was that they'd license by cores, but they shifted their position after the predictable ****-storm hit and they now license by socket. But that could be my memory playing tricks on me! :D

Medion
01-29-06, 06:45 AM
I wonder how Microsoft, and other vendors which put a CPU liscensing restriction on their software, counts these processors?

Windows XP Pro can recognize two sockets, 8 cores per socket. Windows XP Home can recognize one socket, 8 cores.

So any commercially available version of Windows out today will run properly on these quad-core CPUs of tomorrow :)

retsam
01-29-06, 06:59 AM
well i think the whole deal was that m$ was gonna liscene by the core but the second the linux community got wind of it they came out and said well we do it by core. m$ changed there attitude after hearing this and went by the core.wellt thats my understanding of it.

$n][pErMan
01-29-06, 06:19 PM
Anyway.. on topic.. that is pretty sweet. Just when im waiting for my tax refund so I can go duel core I see another reason to wait again! Ack!! So much new technology and not enough money to keep buying it :p I am going to guess tho that these quad cores will be horrible at OC'ing as now you have 4 cores to worry about and hope they all can clock higher.

nutball
01-30-06, 03:52 AM
[pErMan']Anyway.. on topic.. that is pretty sweet. Just when im waiting for my tax refund so I can go duel core I see another reason to wait again! Ack!! So much new technology and not enough money to keep buying it :p I am going to guess tho that these quad cores will be horrible at OC'ing as now you have 4 cores to worry about and hope they all can clock higher.

Quad core for the non-server market is a fair way off (I'd guess maybe 15-18 months), not worth waiting for I reckon unless you want to run a server that is! Hell, everything I'm hearing from the server people I talk to says that they don't expect to have a serious quad-core line-up until mid 2007.

As for overclocking, the cores will be adjacent to each other on the original silicon wafer, so they'll likely have pretty similar characteristics.

Rakeesh
01-30-06, 11:01 AM
well i think the whole deal was that m$ was gonna liscene by the core but the second the linux community got wind of it they came out and said well we do it by core. m$ changed there attitude after hearing this and went by the core.wellt thats my understanding of it.

Well, linux does not, nor ever has, cared about how many logical CPU's you have. It just takes advantage of SMP if available as a universal rule. So if you have hyperthreading, multi-core, or whatever else, it'll always work.

AFAIK Microsoft is the only company to ever produce any software that discriminates based on how many logical CPU's you have in a single computer.

superklye
01-30-06, 11:36 AM
[pErMan']Anyway.. on topic.. that is pretty sweet. Just when im waiting for my tax refund so I can go duel core I see another reason to wait again! Ack!! So much new technology and not enough money to keep buying it :p I am going to guess tho that these quad cores will be horrible at OC'ing as now you have 4 cores to worry about and hope they all can clock higher.
Huh...a kitten just died.

:firedevil :p

retsam
01-30-06, 11:48 AM
Well, linux does not, nor ever has, cared about how many logical CPU's you have. It just takes advantage of SMP if available as a universal rule. So if you have hyperthreading, multi-core, or whatever else, it'll always work.

i should have been a little more clear. m$ cares about processors no matter what enviroment your in. whether its in the home enviroment or corperate(licencing money). linux cares only when it comes time to licence in the business enviroment(time to pay the piper). linux doesnt care at time of install. m$'s products do in that sence your right.

AFAIK Microsoft is the only company to ever produce any software that discriminates based on how many logical CPU's you have in a single computer.
nope i can name probably about a dozen companies that do the same thing. vmware is the first that comes to mind.

eli
01-30-06, 12:25 PM
qUAD core, what for?!
Lmao software had not been developed to utilize dual core, so im hardly sweating in anticipation for quad.

retsam
01-30-06, 12:34 PM
when you have software that is multithread capable. it doesnt matter how many cores you have. it should utilize what is there.

$n][pErMan
01-30-06, 02:31 PM
Quad core for the non-server market is a fair way off (I'd guess maybe 15-18 months), not worth waiting for I reckon unless you want to run a server that is! Hell, everything I'm hearing from the server people I talk to says that they don't expect to have a serious quad-core line-up until mid 2007.

As for overclocking, the cores will be adjacent to each other on the original silicon wafer, so they'll likely have pretty similar characteristics.
Ya.. I was sort of half joking. I plan on going duel core in the next few months :) Would be cool if they OC'ed nice though like you claim they might.