PDA

View Full Version : Having issues with SLI...can't make it work

FearMeAll
01-28-06, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone again. I just got 2 XFX 7800gtx 512s and a brand new rig. My new mobo is a DFI LanpartyUT NF4 Sli Expert Board and I have a 650 watt sli power supply for it. Processor is a 4800x2 as well.
I can't get the Nvidia drivers to enable Sli no matter what I do. I have the two cards in their pci express slots, the power cables on them, goldfinger applied, and another power cable near the first card. I also have SLI enabled in the motherboard and have a clean new installation of windows xp.
Well when I start the pc now xp detects my sli setup and says that it is all set up to take advantage of SLI but when I go in the drivers it says that I cannot enable sli until I remove all other graphics cards! I have no other graphics cards and the 2 xfx cards are absolutely identical bought at the same time. There is also NO onboard video either.
I am a n00b at sli and need help once again from my nvnews friends. Any ideas? Am I doing something dumb here?

OWA
01-28-06, 09:30 AM
Not that it matters but what version of the nforce drivers are you using and what version of the forceware drivers are you using?

Edit: Also, I'll just list these things since I'm not sure what the real name is for them (so you might have done this already).

On some motherboards, there is a little card that needs to be plugged in a certain way to use SLI. On my ASUS one, I don't have that, it's done in the bios. On the Abit board, I do have that.

You also need to connect the two cards together with the connector that goes on the top of them.

There is usually some sort of bios option that needs to be selected as well.

Also, you may want to start with just one card, get it installed and working and then trying to add the 2nd card. I've never had to do that. I usually start with 2 in the system but if you're running out of things to try, I'd probably give that a shot. May want to reinstall the nforce and forceware drivers as well. Maybe something went wrong with the installation.

FearMeAll
01-28-06, 09:52 AM
yes I have connected all the bridges. I am currently testing both cards individually and they both check out 100%. Right now I have only one card in the slot since I am just trying to get all my files in order. Gonna try Sli again later.
I am also using the latest nforce and forceware drivers. I've read the manual on my motherboard very thoroughly. I just don't see the problem.

FearMeAll
01-29-06, 11:31 AM
ACK this motherboard is sooo flaky. I paid over 190 bucks for this motherboard---> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136166
and it won't work in sli and it posts SOME of the time. I can get the board to post every once in a while now. I cant believe this Ive never paid this much for a motherboard and have it act in this way. The board specs said it also supported 4 gigs of ram but it does not. Had to go to 2 gigs just to make it work.
Right now it won't post and I want to attribute it to user error but I can't. I have tested all the hardware individually and it all checks out. The ram, cards individually and together and on all instances it will post and sometimes not post. I am so pissed right now let me tell ya. I've read the manual on this thing backwards and forwards and I have done everything perfectly in the installation. This is probably the 20th pc I've built as well in my experience. My advice stay way from this board.
On that note what is a good board on newegg that someone here with their own 7800gtx 512 rig that works perfectly for them? Obviously now getting the most expensive board does not mean getting the best board.

OWA
01-29-06, 01:59 PM
I've seen some say that DFIs are good motherboards but they're difficult to configure. You may want to PM some of the members here for any tips or maybe start a thread in the motherboard section listing the DFI in the subject. That might grab their attention.

jAkUp
01-29-06, 02:04 PM
I've used alot of nForce4 boards from Gigabyte to Asus, and the DFI is by far my favorite, the problems you are experiencing seem odd.

Do the cards have the same BIOS version? Also, do you have the latest BIOS for that motherboard?

Also, did you do a clean format after you installed the new board?

Peacemaker
01-29-06, 03:03 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54060

check what was in my case :)

finally i resolved problems.

greetings,

Peacemaker.

FearMeAll
01-29-06, 04:16 PM
ok sli still won't work and I'm about to pull my hair out. NV control panel says that I am ready to enable SLI but then says this-
"You must remove any graphics cards that are not compatible with NVIDIA Scalable Link Interface [SLI] technology before you can enable SLI."
does it matter what DVI port the screen is plugged into?

OWA
01-29-06, 04:19 PM
does it matter what DVI port the screen is plugged into?
No, just make sure you're plugged into the first card and not the 2nd.

FearMeAll
02-04-06, 11:37 AM
man I've been working and working on this and there is still no sli. I don't know what to do anymore. I think I am going to take this pc I built to a local pc place and just tell them to make sli work I don't care what it takes..
I don't know anymore.
The motherboard boots and says it is in SLI, when windows boots it has a dialogue box at the bottom that says I am compatible to work in sli and then I get a box like this..It's like the drivers just say no at the last minute.

ronss
02-04-06, 12:25 PM
fearmeall

might try here for help

http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html
i was at a web lately, and they alll had dfi boards...they seem to be pretty good boards... if i can find the site, i will post it ...

believe it was here-
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/

FearMeAll
02-04-06, 03:40 PM
fearmeall

might try here for help

http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html
i was at a web lately, and they alll had dfi boards...they seem to be pretty good boards... if i can find the site, i will post it ...

believe it was here-
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/
yeah I read through the forum. No one has had my problem. I don't know. Gonna have to get a new mobo I guess.

jAkUp
02-04-06, 03:46 PM
Do you have the latest BIOS version for the board?

FearMeAll
02-04-06, 03:51 PM
Do you have the latest BIOS version for the board?
yes. from december 7th 2005 I believe.
Looks like you have the exact same board and configuration as me except you have evga cards. hmmm..

FearMeAll
02-04-06, 08:16 PM
ok I resolved it! YAY! It was a bios setting that I did not see before. Apparentley one of the pci slots was set to 2x and the other to 16x. So I set them both to 8x and now SLI works. None of this kind of stuff was mentioned in the manual and it sure would have saved me a lot of trouble had I know ahead of time.
On that note I CANNOT believe how fast SLI is!! Fear is running fluid at 1680x1050 with 4x antialiasing 16x aniso NO optimizations...and everything else runs great too.

machee
02-05-06, 01:38 PM
hey dude, how do you check/change the pci slot setting. I have the same problem, and hardly have any hair left from pulling it all out trying to resolve this issue. really appreciate the heads up...

machee

OWA
02-05-06, 02:26 PM
ok I resolved it! YAY! It was a bios setting that I did not see before. Apparentley one of the pci slots was set to 2x and the other to 16x. So I set them both to 8x and now SLI works. None of this kind of stuff was mentioned in the manual and it sure would have saved me a lot of trouble had I know ahead of time.
On that note I CANNOT believe how fast SLI is!! Fear is running fluid at 1680x1050 with 4x antialiasing 16x aniso NO optimizations...and everything else runs great too.
Congrats on figuring it out. Now enjoy it. :)

I had an issue (due to the X2 cpu) with my first SLI system that almost drove me crazy. It took me over a week to resolve it so I know the feeling.

jAkUp
02-05-06, 02:58 PM
Oh nice man! Glad you got it resolved, yea you need to set to 8-4-n/a-8 for SLI :D

FearMeAll
02-05-06, 03:20 PM
hey dude, how do you check/change the pci slot setting. I have the same problem, and hardly have any hair left from pulling it all out trying to resolve this issue. really appreciate the heads up...

machee
do what jakup said. It was a setting in my bios that wasn't even very clear and nothing like it was stated in the manual. All the manual said was "enable sli in the bios".
I believe it is a setting that looks like ram timings. it said something like 8-1-1-16 before(I know that is the wrong number but there was only two settings). Just set the setting that has 8 twice so it looks uniform. I sound like a n00b explaining this but I can't remember the exact numbers. I can post a pic with my camera if you want.