PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX - go with BFG or PNY?

FredGSanford
01-17-03, 06:59 PM
I was looking into pre Ordering the GeforceFX card... But now I'm not sure which to get... BFG or PNY? I hear they are all going to be manufactured by Nvidia anyway but which would give the better support....? The thing Is I've not had a great experience with PNY nor a bad one. Last time I had bought a PNY G-mx200 for a basic death match gaming system for lan parties the card couldn't handle any quake 3 or unreal engine game very well so I e-mailed them and never received a response then e-mailed the vendor and they just brushed me off. I understand the mx cards were not very good but I was even having problems with older games around quake 2 engine time period.

Anyway, I'm currently on a geforce 3 with an ath xp 1800 512mb system.... I skipped the g4 so now it's time again ;)

Any suggestions would be grateful....

BTW, is the release date on best buy right or the one on compusa? Obviously the sooner the happier I will be :D

:afro:

Bigus Dickus
01-17-03, 10:19 PM
Why preorder the card? There haven't been any reliable or conclusive benchmarks. What if it turns out to be about the same speed as a card $100 or more cheaper?

marqmajere
01-17-03, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
Why preorder the card? There haven't been any reliable or conclusive benchmarks. What if it turns out to be about the same speed as a card $100 or more cheaper?

I agree. Unless you must have an Nvidia product, I would wait till we see some benchmarks and have a good idea on where the FX stands against the 9700 before preordering. However. If you do decide to preorder, I'd choose the cheapest one as they all seem to be the same thing.

FredGSanford
01-18-03, 12:12 AM
Ether way I'm going to be buying a new vid card within the next month simply because the timing and cash flow for me is ripe for me right now and nothing more. I've read up on the ati 9700 pro and I hear allot of good things about it from fan sites and even some hardware sites but when I go through forums all I see is mainly people having problems (and to be fair not everyone had these problems) with some games but mainly with something I can't do without which is 3D Studio which is what frightens me... Well that and the fact that there are so many different variations of the 9700 that there aren't and exact specs listed on most internet stores. And something tells me that nvidia wont be releasing the card to underperform the 9700 pro for virtually the same price and higher specs. Generally I don't care for a product name I care for the $ and the stability and reliability of a card and will not really stick to any given product name. But truthfully I haven't had a single problem with any of my 6 systems all on nvidia cards (before that was 3dfx, and before them was ati and matrox).

Bigus Dickus
01-18-03, 01:58 AM
Nothing wrong with having a preference for nVidia. Even if you're committed to the GFFX before reviews show how it stacks up to the 9700Pro (or R350 withing weeks of the GFFX availability), I'd still have to question making a preorder.

For one, how do you know you're getting the best (or at least a good) price with a preorder? My experience has been that the sites that let people order "first" with a preorder usually charge the most, simply because of the over-hype of the product before release and the anxiousness of people to buy one. Aside from that, if the reviews show that the GFFX isn't "all that" then prices may fall a bit from the expected price, even at initial availability.

Some people say "but I can cancel a preorder." Well, then I have to ask "then why make it?" :D

Just my opinion... YMMV.

Originally posted by FredGSanford
Ether way I'm going to be buying a new vid card within the next month...
Now that may be a problem. Within the next month gives you to mid-February, and it looks like second week of March is probably when the first cards will be available.

ChrisW
01-18-03, 02:18 AM
Lets not forget you will be ordering the 128MB version. You may want to see reviews comparing the 128MB version to the 256MB version before spending so much money.

FredGSanford
01-18-03, 02:34 AM
Bigus Dickus>

Excellent points... but when I meant buying within the next month means when I will have the $$$ to kill on the card between my billing cycles.

ChrisW>

Also a good point, but I'll be most likely getting the 128 version anyway since I'm more then sure the 256 version will be a little more $$$ and I think $400 from a retail store (sure as CompUSA or best buys websites) is going to be my limit for now...

If I had a full on choice I would definitely buy an entirely second setup just for my development with a Quadro but things being what they are I'm pretty much strapped for cash with medical bills and general other bills and knowing me if I don't spend it while I have it I'll blow it on doing something crazy... Like going outside.... There's dangerous things out there like air and trees you know! ;)

BTW I appreciate the input :)

Any input on the support from these companies would be great if anyone's delt with them both...?

Grrrpoop
01-18-03, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by FredGSanford
Any input on the support from these companies would be great if anyone's delt with them both...?
Traditionally, ATI's had a bad rep for support but with the 9700 they seem to have swung completely the other way, staff appearing on forums, regular driver updates, and seemingly better relations with developers (iD for example).

nVidia traditionally have a good rep for support, but the GFFX is the first radically different architecture from them since the original GeForce card. I would be surprised if there weren't any initial driver niggles.

Also bear in mind that the GFFX is primarily a gaming card, and nVidia's first efforts will IMO be to make it work with games, not with 3D modelling apps. This is just speculation tho, it might work fine with 3D studio right out of the box!

I would seriously recommend against pre-ordering this or any other card which hasn't even been reviewed yet, and if 3D Studio is that crucial, wait until someone posts benches for that too, with commentary upon its reliability.

I'm not knocking GFFX, I'm just saying it's a sh!tload of money, and if you've waited this long, u can wait another coupla weeks before commiting yourself :)

ReDeeMeR
01-18-03, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Grrrpoop
Traditionally, ATI's had a bad rep for support but with the 9700 they seem to have swung completely the other way, staff appearing on forums, regular driver updates, and seemingly better relations with developers (iD for example).

Umm not really :rolleyes: ;) (iD does not + ATi = love/business)

Grrrpoop
01-18-03, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
Umm not really :rolleyes: ;) (iD does not + ATi = love/business)
Carmack has stated that altho nVidia are still his "gold standard", ATI have been quick to rectify any bugs he's coming across. To me that says they're improving their developer relations. As does the fact he chose an ATI card to demo Doom3.

I wasn't saying they're in love, and if you're referring to the Doom3 leak, iD are on record as saying they're not blaming ATI for the leak. Still, maybe iD was a bad example :o ;)

Nor am I saying ATI are doing enough because they aren't (Epic didn't even test Unreal2K3 on the 9700 prior to release, altho that seems to have worked out ok - shows ATI's drivers aren't completely crap as some still like to believe).

However, I wouldn't class nVidia's "sponsorship" of games as good use of their money, and I wouldn't class it as good dveloper relations. I'm hoping ATI doesn't stoop to that. But getting developers to test more on ATI hardware would be nice. Not everyone has an Nvidia based card ;)

Smokey
01-18-03, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Grrrpoop

However, I wouldn't class nVidia's "sponsorship" of games as good use of their money, and I wouldn't class it as good dveloper relations. I'm hoping ATI doesn't stoop to that. But getting developers to test more on ATI hardware would be nice. Not everyone has an Nvidia based card ;)

Hahaha this is already too late, ATI have thier logo stuck all over Ravenshield, on the site, on the menu screen in game, not that that is a bad thing ;)

Grrrpoop
01-18-03, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
Hahaha this is already too late, ATI have thier logo stuck all over Ravenshield, on the site, on the menu screen in game, not that that is a bad thing ;)
Personally it makes me twitch :(

I seriously doubt that the money the developer gets from such sponsorship actually makes the games any better. And it's yet one more thing u have to skip, or worse, sit thru before you can play your game! :mad:

Personally I'm tempted to change my Unreal2k3 startup file so it says ATI or something else instead of nVidia out of pure spite.. I wonder if anybody's made a 3Dfx one.. :D