PDA

View Full Version : Logitech G7 with Icemat

Pages : [1] 2

einstein_314
01-28-06, 06:53 PM
Ok so here's the situation. I got myself an Icemat the other day. It works beautifully with my G7 in windows and all applications (except games - coming to that)... I'm having a few "issues" though. For one, if I remove the battery and replace it, the mouse won't work on the icemat. It works fine on any other surface, but not on the icemat. To fix this all I have to do is double click on the setpoint icon in the task bar to open setpoint and then close setpoint. And voila, it works on the icemat again. It's very bizarre.

Ok now for situation number 2. If I enable game detection in setpoint, the mouse will stop working on the icemat whenever I start a game (still works fine on any other surface). There is nothing that will make it work on the icemat in games except not enabling game detection. Which is fine I guess because I don't really need to have different sensitivities for different games.

Has anybody had this problem or know how to fix it?

saturnotaku
01-29-06, 09:41 AM
These are known issues with the G7 and the Icemat. You'll either have to live with it, replace the mouse or replace the pad. I recently replaced my fUnc 1030 surface with their Archetype BMA, which has been thoroughly tested with the G5, G7 and Copperhead.

keith33
01-29-06, 10:11 AM
Ok so here's the situation. I got myself an Icemat the other day. It works beautifully with my G7 in windows and all applications (except games - coming to that)... I'm having a few "issues" though. For one, if I remove the battery and replace it, the mouse won't work on the icemat. It works fine on any other surface, but not on the icemat. To fix this all I have to do is double click on the setpoint icon in the task bar to open setpoint and then close setpoint. And voila, it works on the icemat again. It's very bizarre.

Ok now for situation number 2. If I enable game detection in setpoint, the mouse will stop working on the icemat whenever I start a game (still works fine on any other surface). There is nothing that will make it work on the icemat in games except not enabling game detection. Which is fine I guess because I don't really need to have different sensitivities for different games.

Has anybody had this problem or know how to fix it?

Logitech released a firmware update for the G5 specifically for the Icemat, didn't they do the same for the G7??

einstein_314
01-29-06, 12:28 PM
Logitech released a firmware update for the G5 specifically for the Icemat, didn't they do the same for the G7??
No they havn't released one for the G7 yet. I really hope it comes out. Although, I can live with this. Not that much of a pain really. Just annoying at times. Thanks for the replies guys.

a12ctic
01-29-06, 12:34 PM
whats the icemat?

jAkUp
01-29-06, 12:37 PM
Its a mousing surface. Best there is IMO. I've tried a few from Func to Ratpadz.

I know the G5 has the firmware upgrade, its a shame that the G7 doesn't.

a12ctic
01-29-06, 12:42 PM
50$ for a mousepad? *laughs* what a waste of money...

jAkUp
01-29-06, 12:47 PM
Don't knock it till you try it :) BTW, $50 is the cost of 1 game. Not that expensive.

einstein_314
01-29-06, 02:36 PM
I thought the same thing a while ago. I'd read so much about how awesome the Icemat is I decided to get one to see for myself. It's amazing. Too bad I didn't read anything about the issues the G7 has with it... Oh well.

a12ctic
01-29-06, 02:51 PM
whats so special about it?

slick
01-29-06, 03:22 PM
whats so special about it?

It explodes if you try to use it with Linux.

a12ctic
01-29-06, 03:41 PM
It explodes if you try to use it with Linux.
... *rolls eyes*

einstein_314
01-29-06, 04:27 PM
Well, all it really is is a piece of frosted glass. But it's so smooth it's amazing. There is barely any friction. It's kind of like using your mouse on a pad of ice. I guess that's why they call it the icemat. Oh and if you have one you can say you have an Icemat. I hear guys with Icemats get all the ladies :D

Medion
01-29-06, 07:26 PM

I paid $30 for my Icemat version 2 (the 12x10 version). I would not have paid $50 if that's how much it had cost.

CaptNKILL
01-29-06, 07:28 PM
I use an Icemat with my MX518... the pad only cost me $25 :)

Rakeesh
01-29-06, 08:40 PM
Well, all it really is is a piece of frosted glass. But it's so smooth it's amazing. There is barely any friction. It's kind of like using your mouse on a pad of ice. I guess that's why they call it the icemat. Oh and if you have one you can say you have an Icemat. I hear guys with Icemats get all the ladies :D

If it is really just frosted glass, you can get that at home depot for much cheaper.

jAkUp
01-29-06, 08:58 PM
Well, it has some sort of texture, also, its speckeled with silver to allow for better traction with optical mice... at least thats what I heard :)

I love it because it doesn't seem to wear done. I was replacing my Ratpadz every 3 months because the surface would wear down and feel horrible.

kev13dd
01-29-06, 11:01 PM
So does it really make THAT big of a difference?

For the past 2 years I've just been using the wood surface of my desk, and it hasn't been THAT bad. Newegg has it for 30 bucks. Does anyone know where you can get it cheaper?

K

Tygerwoody
01-30-06, 03:48 PM
any kind of gaming pad is well worth it

for the best bang for your buck, the fUNC 1030 is the one for you. I use to be one of those guys that would say "$30 for a mousepad! You are crazy!", but believe me there is a HUGE difference in accuracy. Well worth the money. Icepads is probably the "best", but too expensive imo.

Stay away from ratpadz though, they wear down extremely fast.

Imbroglio
01-31-06, 10:50 AM
I hear guys with Icemats get all the ladies :D
yea just like saying the word jumbo shrimp. it sounds cool to say, but makes no sense when you break it down. i mean would any ladies even talk to you if they knew you owned a $50 mousepad? just thought i should make some kind of remark after laughing for the past 10 minutes after reading that comment :D

i mean i own a $30 mousepad but i don't brag about it. i still swear by my eXactmat, gotta love the "control" side (that's where my 1600dpi comes in handy). I always felt like the icemat was just like using the mouse on a glass table, never really enjoyed it that much. but meh, to each his own i guess.

Rakeesh
02-10-06, 12:02 AM
Hmm...I just spotted one of these Icemats on newegg for $23. I just tried a ratpadz from fry's electronics, and it is pretty nice, but it cost $20. Is the Icemat that much better than the ratpadz? (I don't like buying online since there's no "try when you buy" 30 day return policy.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817114202

BTW, how thin are the icemats? And how well do they work with the Razer Copperhead? Do you have to buy those overpriced mouse feet (even though the copperhead already has teflon?)

Also, what is the difference from first edition to second edition? Is it worth an extra $12?

ViN86
02-10-06, 12:08 AM
i like my exactmat, maybe ill check out the icemat though. just got my diamondback from RMA and its so nice :D

jAkUp
02-10-06, 01:00 AM
Get the 2nd edition, the 1st edition had problems with optical mice.

I am using a copperhead here with an icemat, no probs at all :)

Rakeesh
02-10-06, 01:20 AM
Is it really that much better than ratpadz though? That is, is it more slick, and does it track better? And how easy does it scratch (I would imagine that after a while it'll have a rough surface, even though it is glass - the question is how long until this occurs)

Rakeesh
02-10-06, 04:49 PM
Hmm...I noticed the icemat 2nd edition is $26 for the red one. People just don't like the color red? Or do different colors track differently?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817114206