PDA

View Full Version : How to clean...

Roadhog
01-28-06, 09:24 PM
How do you clean the little inline volume control on headphones? I have some Altec Lansings AHP-512's (kick ass headphones BTW) and, the inline volume control thingy is dirty. Sometimes it comes out of the left or right channel more then the other and I have to wiggle the volume thingy for it to come out of both evenly. I tried blowing it out with compressed air, but it only fixes it temporarly. Also, I dont see a way to open it up w/o breaking it, seems glued closed.

Clay
01-28-06, 09:33 PM
Is this what you're referring to?

http://i1.tinypic.com/msn2v5.jpg

If compressed air didn't help then you might want to try using a razor blade or very thin-tipped flathead screwdriver and pry that housing open. If it is glued it shouldn't be difficult to open and you can always re-glue it after you've cleaned it out.

Roadhog
01-28-06, 09:45 PM
yep, thats exactly it. I could take them back to best buy and get a replacement . I think...

Clay
01-29-06, 07:32 AM
Yeah, that might be worth trying first.

FraGTastiK
01-29-06, 07:57 AM
Alternatively you can use something like this (http://www.crceurope.com/wwwcrc/tds/TKC3%20TUNER600/css/TKC3%20TUNER600.htm).It doesnt just use air pressure to remove dust etc... but rather removes them chemically and after complete evaporation leaves no residue but since you want to clean that little volume control it may not make sense buying a whole can of aerosol just for that but if you have many potentiometers/selectors around that helps alot.I use KONTAKT brand Tuner,Video,Blast off and Screen cleaners and I'm satisfied with them.

hemmy
01-29-06, 08:53 AM
I took one apart once, and i was 30 bucks poorer the next day

Sazar
01-29-06, 09:06 AM
Makes me happy my plantronics headset doesn't have a little jog-dial jobbie :eek:

Clay's suggestion is probably the most prudent but are you trying to blow the dust out from inside or do you have gunk on the wheel that you are trying to clean?

Or both?

Roadhog
01-29-06, 10:44 AM
i dunno, I just know its dirty in there... Anyhow, Its not comming apart, it seems to be fused closed or something.

Clay
01-29-06, 12:52 PM
You could seal it up in a plastic bag and then attach a vacuum to the bag...if the bag is air-tight then maybe any debris inside the housing will come out if you can work the jog dial a bit at with the vacuum on.

Son Goku
01-29-06, 01:34 PM
You could seal it up in a plastic bag and then attach a vacuum to the bag...if the bag is air-tight then maybe any debris inside the housing will come out if you can work the jog dial a bit at with the vacuum on.

hehe, hopefully before the vacuum begins to not like it, and also hopefully that the "glued shut" is strong enough to withstand this. I mention the first, only because when I've vacuumed, and a drape had gotten stuck up in there or something, the motor begins sounding louder, and there's the possibility for burnout if one doesn't shut it off immediately, and clear the blockage. In this case, one is restricting the air intentionally...

Might be safe if he only does it for a short period of time, also considering that a bag (with an elastic aroudn the top of the bag which could help seal it) is relatively small...

Clay
01-29-06, 01:52 PM
yeah...not much volume in that control housing, only a few seconds is all it would take

Roadhog
01-29-06, 01:59 PM
so... do i put everything in the baggie? headphones cord and all?

EDIT: I could use a big shop vac... now that thing has some suck. :D

Clay
01-29-06, 02:12 PM
No, you could just put that housing in the bag. the wire into and out of it will be outside, get the idea? You could have each end of the wire come out of the bag and tape it to the shopvac nozzle. You really wouldn't even need tape, just hold it all tight around the nozzle and turn it on for a few seconds. It probably won't help but might be worth a shot.

Roadhog
01-29-06, 02:26 PM
got ya, ill try that later.

ViN86
01-29-06, 03:22 PM
you think like an engineer, i like it :)

btw, id just take it back. the only thing ive learned about hardware is that its better not to try and fix it yourself. ive had a lot of bad experiences with DIY quick fixes :o