PDA

View Full Version : SLI system shuts down under stress

Midnightpro
01-29-06, 12:18 AM
I've seen several people post about the same problem, everyone talks about the PSU but I am not sure anymore.

I built this system

Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
Intel 3.73GHz Extreme Edition
2 gb Corsair TWIN2X1024A-5400UL
Creative x-fi
Thermaltake PurePower 680W PSU
Thermaltake Armor Case
2 WD Raptor 74 gb (no raid)
2 XFX Geforce 7800 GTX PCI-E 512MB sli

Under load the system shuts off. Originally running 3dmark, Fear, and Farcry (highest settings)

I ruled out heat (mb, cpu, gpu temps within normal limits), then started looking at my voltages and found that they were below normal (12v rail was 11.49, 5v was 4.8).

I suspected the Purepower as the culprit (the amperage seemed low for this system) and replaced it with a BFG 600 watt for sli.

Installed it and STILL had low voltage readouts.

Checked the memory with memtest (no problems). Unplugged everything in the system to see if there was a drain and concluded it was the motherboard.

I read somewhere that the P5ND2-SLI had did not work well with extreme edition chips. I went ahead and replaced the motherboard with the Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI which seemed to solve the problem. My voltages were up to normal (12v-5.13, 12v-12.46, 3.3v-3.36). 3d mark ran and even gave me an increase of 150 from the other board. Everything was ok until I loaded up Farcry. Under stress-instant shutdown...

All of my drivers/patches are up to date (bios also). No overclocking. Not heat related. I turned on "show GPU load balancing" and noticed something interesting. When the GPU bar maxed out, the computer would shut off. This tells me definitely that it is when the video cards go under stress, that it shuts down (not software related). I have never seen Farcry slow down (fps stay high or it shuts off). I suspect that it is not the only game that will do this...If I drop the resolution down, the bars stay down and the game runs fine.

I am at a loss...Anyone have any ideas?

fasedww
01-29-06, 07:33 PM
I've seen several people post about the same problem, everyone talks about the PSU but I am not sure anymore.

I built this system

Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
Intel 3.73GHz Extreme Edition
2 gb Corsair TWIN2X1024A-5400UL
Creative x-fi
Thermaltake PurePower 680W PSU
Thermaltake Armor Case
2 WD Raptor 74 gb (no raid)
2 XFX Geforce 7800 GTX PCI-E 512MB sli

Under load the system shuts off. Originally running 3dmark, Fear, and Farcry (highest settings)

I ruled out heat (mb, cpu, gpu temps within normal limits), then started looking at my voltages and found that they were below normal (12v rail was 11.49, 5v was 4.8).

I suspected the Purepower as the culprit (the amperage seemed low for this system) and replaced it with a BFG 600 watt for sli.

Installed it and STILL had low voltage readouts.

Checked the memory with memtest (no problems). Unplugged everything in the system to see if there was a drain and concluded it was the motherboard.

I read somewhere that the P5ND2-SLI had did not work well with extreme edition chips. I went ahead and replaced the motherboard with the Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI which seemed to solve the problem. My voltages were up to normal (12v-5.13, 12v-12.46, 3.3v-3.36). 3d mark ran and even gave me an increase of 150 from the other board. Everything was ok until I loaded up Farcry. Under stress-instant shutdown...

All of my drivers/patches are up to date (bios also). No overclocking. Not heat related. I turned on "show GPU load balancing" and noticed something interesting. When the GPU bar maxed out, the computer would shut off. This tells me definitely that it is when the video cards go under stress, that it shuts down (not software related). I have never seen Farcry slow down (fps stay high or it shuts off). I suspect that it is not the only game that will do this...If I drop the resolution down, the bars stay down and the game runs fine.

I am at a loss...Anyone have any ideas?
get a pcpc power supply 850 watt, or maybe for cheaper the biggest seasonic power supply.;)