PDA

View Full Version : FX-60 Prob ?

Golden Boy
01-29-06, 06:01 AM
Hello guys.

I think i have a prob with my new AMD FX60, perhaps someone here can help me :(

I got a FX60 a few days ago, for replacing my FX55.
Before i installed the CPU, i flashed the new official Bios from the DFI website to recognize the FX60 (NF4LDB14.EXE)
I also installed the X2 AMD CPU driver from the AMD website. Everything seemed to work fine at that point (Windows usage) - but now, when playing games (tried a few different ones - Q4, BF2, SS2) .. something strange happens.
The games work fine at start, and about for 1 - 2 minutes after start (ingame) - horrible stuttering appears - the games still run, but stutter like hell (slideshow)
CPU usage is just low - about 20-50 percent !!
I could verify this problem while running rthdribl in windows too.
But temps are all fine, voltages are ok too !
I tried to set affinity for rthdribl to core one, but same result ... i also re-installed nforce chipset drivers, and graphic card drivers, disabling c&q but did not help...
I also searched forums about stuttering, and edited my boot.ini, and did a registry change with the "throttle" option, but did not help either.

Its really annoying somehow, and i am now at a point, where i have no clue what could help...

I somehow have the idea that the bios is not really ok , its just a beta bios , if i am right.

I really appreciate any help, thanks

BrianG
01-29-06, 07:49 AM
What PSU are you using? Memory settings?

Where are the other cards in your system? I wonder if it might be an IRQ conflict that only presented itself after the BIOS flash.

Sazar
01-29-06, 08:31 AM
Have you formatted?

I know it sounds old and what not but just checking :)

I had issues with my x2 when I switched from my a64 single-core before till I formatted (don't ask) and the issues went away.

Also do you have C"n"Q enabled?

Some slow-downs, some stuttering, the occasionally hard-lock were some issues I had.

@ brian, I would be surprised if this had anything to do with interrupts. That typically applies to devices using the pci bus in one way or the other. It should not affect the system wrt the processor.

PSYCHODAD
01-29-06, 08:54 AM
I had something similar happen to me and found out it was caused by Steam running in the background. As long as I set the affinity to one core for Steam everything was alright, but if I didn't it would somehow affect other games or apps I was running.

Probably not the same problem as you're having, but just a thought.

BrianG
01-29-06, 09:17 AM
Have you formatted?

I know it sounds old and what not but just checking :)

I had issues with my x2 when I switched from my a64 single-core before till I formatted (don't ask) and the issues went away.

Also do you have C"n"Q enabled?

Some slow-downs, some stuttering, the occasionally hard-lock were some issues I had.

@ brian, I would be surprised if this had anything to do with interrupts. That typically applies to devices using the pci bus in one way or the other. It should not affect the system wrt the processor.
Well, the only reason I bring that up is when I did a BIOS flash recently, with out changing hardware at all, I started getting BSODs. I caught a picture of it, turned out it was an IRQ conflict. Moved the sound card, everything was cool again. Prior to the flash no issues, Knowwadimean?

I noticed in his linked specs that his drives are running off a PCI SCSI controller, sooooo...

Sazar
01-29-06, 09:36 AM
Iseewdumean :cool:

Thought you were talking bout the proc.

Golden Boy
01-29-06, 09:38 AM
Hey =)

Thanks for the answers !

I have the OCZ 600W Powerstream, see sig... and i have my Rams running 2.5-3-3-11 , no problem with memtest ! (tried lower settings too)

I now tried another DFI Bios (OCZ 704-bta) , which does not recognize the FX60 fully, but works too - did not help.

I didnt re-install yet, because i did a fresh XP install about 1 week ago, when i had my FX55 still inside.. so i thought it should be clean.

But re-installing is like the last possibility now to me.

Or the tip from psychodad ... will try killing all programs running in background - or set other affinity for them.

regards

Golden Boy
01-29-06, 11:10 AM
Seems to be a windows problem... when i run RC5 client (like seti) - which should use 100% cpu power... it starts with 100% on both cores for a half minute or so, then slows down to 20% cpu usage all the time ...
Looks somehow like a throttling ? but temp is fine at 34

This just seems to be a windows fault somehow... very strange :(

jAkUp
01-29-06, 12:22 PM
Try disabling one core and see what the results are.

boot.ini

/onecpu

I think a reformat should cure your problem though.

Golden Boy
01-29-06, 12:45 PM
Hey Jak :)

I tried this, nice setting btw... didnt know that before

But it didnt help aswell...

What i checked now... CPUZ and Everest report 1.26V Vcore, when running at 2.6GHz (not c&q)
And on the net it says Vcore 1.30V - 1.35V

So could that be a problem, that the mainboard does not detect ? the right voltage for the processor
if set to "auto" ...

hmmm

Son Goku
01-29-06, 01:24 PM
I had something similar happen to me and found out it was caused by Steam running in the background. As long as I set the affinity to one core for Steam everything was alright, but if I didn't it would somehow affect other games or apps I was running.

Probably not the same problem as you're having, but just a thought.

I've had something similar happen on a uni-proc A64 when one component to Roxio's Easy CD Creator isn't terminated. The fricken thing has a desire to take 100% CPU time every once in awhile... I don't need that, not when it won't relinquish time to other things I want run.

I didnt re-install yet, because i did a fresh XP install about 1 week ago, when i had my FX55 still inside.. so i thought it should be clean.

But re-installing is like the last possibility now to me.

Normally, I wouldn't reformat for a CPU or memory upgrade (do for a mobo, or even a video however if I'm switching companies, and hence driver sets); however the switch to dual core might well be a big change. For starters, I think at least earlier versions of the NT system (which win2k and winXP are built off of), use a different hardware abstraction layer for SMP systems then they do for uni-proc systems.

This being the case, perhaps swapping out the HAL on your system (if there's a way to do this) might solf this. A format is probably the safest bet though. In case your'e wondering, the hardware abstraction layer, is a layer in an NT based system such as winXP, which stands between the system kernel and the hardware itself, and abstracts the hardware from the system kernel. This was originally done, as the system was designed to run on more then 1 type of CPU architecture, and Microsoft didn't want to have to re-code everything for each system it would be run on...

Golden Boy
01-29-06, 01:32 PM
I put up the default Voltage to 1,35V , but didnt help

This is getting really strange to me...

Is there some other way to "test" the CPU for defects ??

Memtest ran well, should i check prime - any suggestions ???

SH64
01-29-06, 01:55 PM
Did you install the dual-core hotfix ?

Golden Boy
01-29-06, 02:08 PM
Yes sure, AMD drivers , the KB896256-v3-x86
Tried the boot.ini tricks with /usepmtimer , and the throttle registry value... tired without that too.

I will uninstall the patch and look if its still there, havent tried that yet.

SH64
01-29-06, 02:12 PM
No i was talking about Microsoft's dual-core hotfix .. i'll see if i can find the link.
http://www.evilkitty.org/misc/WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU.exe

how to :
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

Golden Boy
01-29-06, 02:37 PM
Hey SH64, that is the patch i mentioned ;)

And the throttle registry edit in the howto ... i mentioned... tired that already.

I installed the hotfix after the amd64x2 drivers...

But thanks again for the advice

OWA
01-29-06, 02:38 PM
I think that is what he meant by KB896256-v3-x86 (that's the file for the dual-core hotfix).

Edit: Too slow, oh well. :)

SH64
01-29-06, 03:20 PM
Dang i think i'm getting sleepy :o

madmartyau
01-30-06, 03:13 AM
You could try doing a repair install just in case it is a problem with the HAL.
The easiest way to do this while windows is running is pop in your Win XP cd, then select upgrade. It's a lot quicker doing it this way rather than booting from your win xp cd.

Golden Boy
02-02-06, 03:57 PM
OK i first did a "windows folder" update installation, where just the windows folder was removed and installed new, but did not help.
I thought that shoud do the trick, but perhaps there was a program or another setting somewhere outside the windows folder ... who knows !

Therefore i tested with another IDE drive, and installed XP on there... all worked fine.

After that, i really clean formatted my Raid drive(s) and set up XP new, now its working again. Maybe a program (or a corrupt windows) caused the problem, but i will see that, if i have re-installed all applications i had running.

Thanks for the help in the meantime guys !

Now i have to say, a FX60 with a raid and 2gb ram... smooth like silk !!!

Regards