PDA

View Full Version : TV resolution and LCD resolution

GRC
01-29-06, 07:50 AM
Hi

Card: GeForce 6600 VTD256
Windows XP

Is it possible to have my LCD resolution set to 1280x1024 and have my TV out resolution set to 1024x768?

Thans

H-street
01-29-06, 02:41 PM
yea, i just don't think you can do it while in Clone mode on Nview.. in clone mode i think they have to be the same resolution..

set it to dual mode or something like that

jeffmd
01-29-06, 03:11 PM
afaik, TV output cant be higher then 800x600 (not even svideo is that clear). This dual mode, if possible, sounds interesting. It creates a second frame buffer and can create a whole new video screen for the TV out? can any geforce 6+ generation video out card do this?

GuOD
01-29-06, 04:33 PM
The nvidia desktop manager has extra controls to run 2 screens at different resolutions while in various modes.

PikachuMan
01-29-06, 04:33 PM
afaik, TV output cant be higher then 800x600 (not even svideo is that clear). This dual mode, if possible, sounds interesting. It creates a second frame buffer and can create a whole new video screen for the TV out? can any geforce 6+ generation video out card do this?

Well, S-video connection will give you 480i (ie 640x480, interlaced) at most. You can still set a higher resolution (like 1024x768 or 800x600), but it will be downsampled to 480i when sent over the svideo output. My Radeon used to allow 1024x768 on the TV out, never tried it with my nvidia card though.

WimpMiester
01-29-06, 05:45 PM
Even in clone mode youíre TV and Monitor can be in different resolutions. The only thing is when you using a res higher than what your TV is in it will use pan mode staying at 1024x768. Your TV will change to match lower resolutions. You also see a small performance hit in games when clone mode is used but nothing to stop you from using it. Avoid Dual mode when possible because it's a huge performance hit. I use my 6800GT in clone mode all the time with a desktop of 1280x960 and TV at 1024x768. When I'm going to watch movies I switch to dual mode and set the TV to 1280x768 (and I don't even have an HDTV!). For some reason in clone mode youíre limited to 1024x768, but in dual mode you can go higher. My old TV can handle 1280x768 max which makes movies look great.

GamerGuyX
01-29-06, 09:31 PM
My old TV can handle 1280x768 max which makes movies look great.

Since it's not an HDTV your TV will not truely be displaying 1280x768. I mean come on now, there is a reason there are HDTV's. ;)

WimpMiester
01-30-06, 01:30 AM
Since it's not an HDTV your TV will not truely be displaying 1280x768. I mean come on now, there is a reason there are HDTV's. ;)

Yes it does and of course itís not as sharp as my Sony 61" HDTV but looks amazingly clear none the less.

GRC
01-30-06, 12:47 PM
Thank you for all your comments

I am preaty sure that I am suing the clone mode and when I change the resolution on my LCD, the TV resolution change to the same value.

I will try to do this test tonight and post my answer here.

GRC
01-30-06, 03:55 PM
Thank you for all your comments

I am preaty sure that I am suing the clone mode and when I change the resolution on my LCD, the TV resolution change to the same value.

I will try to do this test tonight and post my answer here.

Did not work. At the clone mode the both resolutions need to be the same. And if I choose dual view, I cannot see anything at my TV. Is there anything else that I need to do in roder to have separeted resolution from my TV and LCD?

Thanks

GamerGuyX
01-30-06, 06:40 PM
Yes it does and of course it’s not as sharp as my Sony 61" HDTV but looks amazingly clear none the less.

Oh okay so your saying you magically found a way to transform SDTV's into HDTV's. :rolleyes:

Funny how you mention this when SDTV's are limited to a resolution no higher than 720 x 480 interlaced. Whats next? Your going to tell me you found a way for to display full 1080p on your SDTV?

WimpMiester
01-30-06, 07:53 PM
Did not work. At the clone mode the both resolutions need to be the same. And if I choose dual view, I cannot see anything at my TV. Is there anything else that I need to do in roder to have separeted resolution from my TV and LCD?

Thanks

OK, I think I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes clone mode will try to set both displays to the same resolution when possible but default to the setting you selected when it can't and dual mode is two independent displays with two unique desktops unless you use a span mode, but that's not what youíre looking for. In dual mode both displays will stay at what ever resolution you set them to but you won't see youíre desktop or games show the same thing on both screens. So I guess to answer youíre original question would be that it isn't possible unless it's a feature of nview which I never needed to use so I can't really help you any more with that, sorry.

WimpMiester
01-30-06, 08:19 PM
Oh okay so your saying you magically found a way to transform SDTV's into HDTV's. :rolleyes:

Funny how you mention this when SDTV's are limited to a resolution no higher than 720 x 480 interlaced. Whats next? Your going to tell me you found a way for to display full 1080p on your SDTV?

You really need to get a clue; your TV is no different than any other display device. It just has a more limited refresh rate and display bandwidth. And like any monitor, if the timings for a resolution fit within that devices bandwidth limit it will display it. An analog TV has a very limited per-pixel resolution, usually around 500x500 pixels in monitor mode if it has composite, s-video connections. Unlike a computer monitor it doesn't have to display a picture based on the number of pixels in it. What happens when you exceed its limit is text and details become harder to see because the image is being reduced to fit. I never said my TV was equal to and HDTV and I donít use it view text because you can't read it at high resolutions unless it's large. But for movies, the higher the resolution the less blocky/blurry they will look. However they will never be as sharp as say and HDTV or computer monitor which can actually display every pixel that's being sent.

I suggest you connect a TV to your video card and see for yourself.

flint37
01-30-06, 08:27 PM
I'm looking for the same answer as the first poster here. I want my LCD to be at one resolution when it is connected (infrequently) and my laptop to be at its native resolution (1440x900) when it's in use. Ideally, I'd like the monitors to be basically disjoint in that whatever isn't primary is inactive (powered down).

This seems like a textbook case for the laptop's display switch button (or whatever it is) but it appears to be cycling through several modes I can't quite understand.