PDA

View Full Version : Is NVIDIA hiding the truth?

Spotch
01-18-03, 12:49 AM
I have read in few places that these cards are going to ship in early feb. Is this true? If so why havent we seen any reviews? This card has got to be available in limited quantities for sure. Is NVIDIA trying to avoid negative press before the launch? Is the card delayed even more? Usually NV reviews hit the web weeks before availability.

WHERE ARE THE REVIEWS?!

RM. Andersson
01-18-03, 02:40 AM
They will be released in very limited quantitys in late february.
There will not be plenty of them for sale until march.
You can probably preorder them from several stores soon but you will have to wait for a long time.

Regards!

Grrrpoop
01-18-03, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by RM. Andersson
You can probably preorder them from several stores soon but you will have to wait for a long time.
Personally I'd be very nervous about pre-ordering this card before reading several reviews.

The confusion over pricing, clockrates and Triangles/s is the icing on the cake.

ReDeeMeR
01-18-03, 05:10 AM
Something tells me we're gonna see some AMD-like "limited quantitys"... Hope I'd see some GF:FX's here by summer :D

spectre
01-18-03, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Spotch
I have read in few places that these cards are going to ship in early feb. Is this true? If so why havent we seen any reviews? This card has got to be available in limited quantities for sure. Is NVIDIA trying to avoid negative press before the launch? Is the card delayed even more? Usually NV reviews hit the web weeks before availability.

WHERE ARE THE REVIEWS?!

Truth is out there
(To use a phrase from Red Alert1), :
Time wil tell, sooner or later time will tell

Be patient and reviews will show if FX worths the prize, although I doubt about that.

Uttar
01-18-03, 09:43 AM
Well, it sounds a LOT like GF3 all over again. Only difference being that the competition wasn't sleeping.
1. 6 month delay ( GF3: GF2 Ultra instead. GFFX: NV28 instead )
2. Product finally announced, price supposed to be $500
3. nVidia changes price to $400 in last minute, sells the product as the performance leader
4. 6 month later: ATI releases next generation core ( GF3: R200, GFFX: R400 )
5. nVidia releases a refresh shortly after ( GF3: GF3 Ti500. GFFX: NV35 ) to keep the performance crown, but loses the technology crown.

Maybe we could predict everything up to 2025 that way? :D
Anyway, it's a very good thing that the price has been lowered to $400.

Uttar

scott123
01-18-03, 10:07 AM
The Ti4600 had the hard benchmarks out months in advance. The GF FX is way late and the benchmarks are silent. Anyone that spends $399 on a pre-order has a 50-50% chance of a good purchase, because Nvidia has been completly silent, and no one really knows how it performs.

With the hardware done for a little while now, it seems very srange that Nvidia isn't doing a little advertising ahead of the launch by showing us how fast and beautiful it is.

My personal (Gut) feeling is the card has been a lot more difficult to produce then Nvidia ever expected. Once they were commited to the 128bit pipeline and the .13 micron process there was no turning back. One look at the card and you know already it has heat issues. No company would release a card that covers up an extra slot if they had other options, because it looks terrible, and is wasteful (even though us gamers never use that slot anyway :) ).

Once this card was way late, it becomes less and less viable as the moths go by. Now the latest info is march 9th (Bestbuys, Comp USA will probably get revised), which pushes it back even further.

Last I heard ATI is in trouble (some sort of restructuring costs) so they may not be in a position to push Nvidia when they least need it, so Nvidia may get a break, we shall see.

All I know is the sales numbers will be slow (pre-order) until Nvidia breaks out with some performance numbers. If they look really good, and the thing can take an overclock, things may turn around. Everything seems to be pointing to the fact that it won't work that way this time around.

Im waiting.....

Scott

Kruno
01-18-03, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
Well, it sounds a LOT like GF3 all over again. Only difference being that the competition wasn't sleeping.
3. nVidia changes price to $400 in last minute, sells the product as the performance leader
5. nVidia releases a refresh shortly after ( GF3: GF3 Ti500. GFFX: NV35 ) to keep the performance crown, but loses the technology crown.

Maybe we could predict everything up to 2025 that way? :D
Anyway, it's a very good thing that the price has been lowered to $400.

Uttar

Doesn't mean much for a lot of Aussie folks as the bloody card will still be over 1K.
The average weekly wage is under $400 and imagine how much you have left after buying food and paying the bills?

(PS: Thank God my parents are not on the average Aussie pay check)

PreservedSwine
01-18-03, 11:35 AM
Yeah, but here's a link claiming a shipping date of FEB. 5th for the FX..

This is the most disorganized lauch I can remember...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=300548

Bigus Dickus
01-18-03, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Uttar

Uttar

I have a couple of problems with your speculative timeline. For one, you're leaving the R350 out of the mix, which may or may not keep NV30 from being the performance leader in this cycle. Second, referring to no. 4, the R200 was of the same technological generation as the GF3, just six months behind it; but the R400 is of a different generation than the GFFX, and will precede nVidia's equivalent product of that technology generation. Third, referring to no. 5, the GF3 to Ti500 was a refresh of the same core (as was GF2 to GF2 Ultra); I wouldn't expect a true NV35 until next Christmas... until then we'll have to make due with NV30 Ultra variants, which will compete with first the R350 and then the R400. Last, I highly doubt the NV35 will take the performance crown from the R400, even if they were released during similar time frames.

nVidia didn't have the performance crown the second half of last year, may not have it for much of the first half of this year, and likely won't have it for any of the second half of this year if they follow your release schedule above.

They'll either be behind, or do something drastic to their product schedule, like skip the NV35 altogether or by some miracle introduce the NV35 within a couple of months of the NV30 launch.