PDA

View Full Version : Why mjust I stil reboot to enable SLI

FinnEire
01-29-06, 09:24 PM
DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR Expert w/latest BIOS rev

2 6800 GS's (Same BIOS rev.) with SLI bridge and full BIOS support enabled and working

On primary PCIe card have attached Samsung 173P LCD (DVI) and analog Samsung 997DF (analog connector)

Monitor #1 is described as the analog Samsung 997 on main PCIe card.

Montor #2 (disabled) is a "default monitor" that is ghosted/disabled

Monitor #3 is the Samsung LCD attached to DVI on main PCIe card

Despite performing clean installs of the newest drivers (81.98) and just now the WHQL (83.40), enabling SLI doesn't work as described. I must ALWAYS reboot if going from Dual monitor to SLI. I heard rebooting is no longer required with newer drivers. Anyway, after reboot SLI DOES WORK well, and I can disable without rebooting if need be. I just hate the aggravation of having to reboot everytime.

Is anyone else having this issue besides me? I thought this was supposed to be a thing of the past.

Thanks.

Finn

saturnotaku
01-29-06, 09:38 PM
I thought rebooting wasn't required to go from single to multi-GPU rendering on a single display. I didn't think multiple monitors worked with SLI enabled.

FinnEire
01-29-06, 09:43 PM
I am not asking that both monitors work with SLI....I know that is not possible.

I am asking to eliminate the required reboot when going from dual monitor to single monitor SLI.

I have 2 displays on the primary PCIe card. I am choosing my analog monitor for SLI.

Finn

heatlesssun
01-29-06, 10:26 PM
I'm running dual monitors, and I've noticed that when switching from non SLI dual monitor mode to SLI single monitor mode, that reboots ARE NOT always required.

About a 1/3 of the time I can switch without a reboot. Still trying to figure this out.

FinnEire
01-29-06, 10:44 PM
Just tried attaching the LCD to PCIe card #2 (lower) and the results were the same. Asks me to reboot each time I enable SLI. Sucks.

Interesting that yours is intermittent.

Finn

Tym
01-30-06, 02:50 AM
I'm running dual monitors, and I've noticed that when switching from non SLI dual monitor mode to SLI single monitor mode, that reboots ARE NOT always required.

About a 1/3 of the time I can switch without a reboot. Still trying to figure this out.

Same with me... Funny thing, whether it prompts for reboot or not is a random thing. What's more, when no reboot is required, there is a message that some applications must be closed to enable SLI, and -- of all apps I may have running -- it closes my instant messaging software.

FinnEire
02-02-06, 04:45 AM
An update to the situation that is acceptable and appears to be working most all the time!

1. New: Attached the CRT (Analog connector) to the upper/primary PCIe card.

2. New: Attached the LCD (DVI) to the lower PCIe card.

3. New: Made my CRT the Primary display and physically moved it to the left of the LCD. Prior to this, it was postitioned physically to the right as I faced and used the monitors.

Originally, when I had the CRT on the right side of my dektop, I was making it the secondary monitor so that the desktop stretched across/spanned over to it. The system recognized it as monitor #1, but I was in essence, making it serve a secondary role for desktop purposes. When enabling SLI, I would select the secondary CRT as the monitor to use and it always asked me to reboot. Now, it rarely does and seems to switch into SLI without any issue.

I hope this helps anyone who was experiencing the same aggravations as me.

Finn

superklye
02-02-06, 08:50 AM
I've noticed if I'm just starting up my machine and I switch to SLI, no restart is required. But if the machine has been on for a while or I've been doing something in, say, Dreamweaver and Photoshop or Word...well, a lot of times I do have to restart in order to turn SLI on. I don't get what the deal is.

xwl
08-01-06, 12:42 PM
any updates on this? It drives me nuts that I ahve to restart to enable SLI!

ViN86
08-01-06, 01:24 PM
the latest drivers support enabling SLi without restarts. check em out.

nVidia Driver Page (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

Tym
08-03-06, 06:01 AM
the latest drivers support enabling SLi without restarts. check em out.

Not really, unfortunately. Even the latest drivers still prompt me to reboot every time I try to switch to SLI. While it's not a problem with single-display configs (there is basically no reason to disable SLI at all), with dual displays it's extremely annoying...

lduguay
08-03-06, 08:18 AM
Nvidia fixed the SLI reboot issue in the 8x series, and broke it in the 9x series.
I have tried all 9x's and it requires a reboot 100% of the time. At least with my setup 2 x 9800GTX + A8N SLI