PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Soundstorm problems.

Konglow
01-29-06, 10:28 PM
A7N8X-E Deluxe has Soundstorm 6.0 onboard. Downloaded most recent drivers since this is new Windows install. The sound Wizard played noise through all speakers but when it came to individual speakers only the L/R front
worked. I set it for 5.1 but in the end it told me that optimization set it for 2 spkrs and overrides the 5.1 setting.Didn't have prob. before so I don't understand where it's going wrong. Would love to hear anyones suggestions.

P.M.L.

glObalist
02-01-06, 09:41 AM
And you're connecting the speakers thru SPDIF or individual minijack cables? AFAIK SoundStorm (i.e. the on-board Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding thingie in nForce2 mobos) requires an SPDIF connection to a digital receiver (with DD5.1 decoding capability) to work.

Konglow
02-01-06, 05:29 PM
As before, when all worked fine, I am connected thru the line out (lime) jack. The manual says this is for 4 and 6 channel and is essentially the Front Spkr Out. Now it has me wondering what is missing. I'm going to check the drivers again but I have the most current ones.

glObalist
02-02-06, 02:58 AM
As before, when all worked fine, I am connected thru the line out (lime) jack. The manual says this is for 4 and 6 channel and is essentially the Front Spkr Out. Now it has me wondering what is missing. I'm going to check the drivers again but I have the most current ones.

That won't work for true 5.1 sound, unless you're using also the Rear Spkr out and Subwoofer_out outputs = all 3 analog cables.

If I understand correctly, you must have been using a ProLogicII setting on your receiver if you were gettin sound from all your speakers. See, otherwise you couldn't have gotten a 6-channel sound out of your speakers using only the Front_spkr_out analog output of your mobo. And BTW, ProLogicII only "simulates" 5.1.

What kind of receiver do you have and does it have any S/PDIF inputs?

jeffmd
02-02-06, 12:13 PM
There is no pro logic in soundstorm. you either use the SPDIF to a true dolby 5.1 decoder/reciever, or you use the THREE headphone jacks for FL/FR, RL/RR, and Center/Sub connections to your basic 5.1 speaker/amp.

glObalist
02-03-06, 01:42 AM
There is no pro logic in soundstorm. you either use the SPDIF to a true dolby 5.1 decoder/reciever, or you use the THREE headphone jacks for FL/FR, RL/RR, and Center/Sub connections to your basic 5.1 speaker/amp.

I never said there is ProLogic in SS, I only assumed he was switching to PRoLogic mode on his receiver since he was able to get surround sound thru the analog (lime) cable out of his mobo.

CaptNKILL
02-03-06, 02:35 AM
There is no pro logic in soundstorm.
Yes there is :p
I used it for 2 and a half years on an analog pro-logic surround reciever. The Soundstorm nVmixer has a 4 Channel Dolby Surround mode that outputs an encoded pro-logic (4 channel surround) signal through a single mini-jack. Do a search around the forums here, we've had many many discussions on this before.

EDIT: BTW, im talking about Pro Logic 1. This is an OLD reciever. It recieves an encoded signal and produces surround from it. It doesnt create its own surround from a stereo source (like Pro Logic II).

In the case of the original poster, you have to connect your 3 input jacks (orange, black and green) to their apropriate places on your soundstorm. They arent always the correct colors because of some weird soundstorm issues. You may have to swap the orange and black plugs. If this still isnt giving you surround when you select 5.1 output from the nvmixer (dont use the setup wizard), then its either a driver problem or a problem with the speakers. We'll need more info either way.