PDA

View Full Version : THQ to released STALKER even if unfinished and buggy

sirplayalot
01-30-06, 09:55 AM
According to an article over at , THQ has stopped funding the game for GSC & that THQ is planning on pushing GSC's STALKER -Shadow of Chernobyl out the door and in to publishers hands this year no matter what shape the game is in. Great news, especially since the graphics engine isn't completed - The team who were developing this code later left a few months into its building stage. Rumors are that a new engine will be replacing the X-RAY engine.

You can read a translated version of said article at [url=http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=20774]Gamgura Mania (]Gamermag.ru[/url).

That is bad news. :(

|MaguS|
01-30-06, 10:03 AM
Eh, I can think we all expected it. If the game does see the light of day it better be as a budget title...

CaptNKILL
01-30-06, 10:14 AM
They are making a NEW ENGINE??? :wtf:

Jesus christ, this game is never going to come out... It looked amazing before, if they had just stuck to it they wouldnt be in this mess.

Oh well. Hopefully they can pull it off somehow. I still want to play it... though the hype isnt really there any more.

superklye
01-30-06, 10:37 AM
They are making a NEW ENGINE??? :wtf:

Jesus christ, this game is never going to come out... It looked amazing before, if they had just stuck to it they wouldnt be in this mess.

Oh well. Hopefully they can pull it off somehow. I still want to play it... though the hype isnt really there any more.
No, it's coming out this year, dude.

saturnotaku
01-30-06, 10:46 AM
And how would THQ releasing this game buggy and unfinished be like any other firm doing the same thing? I'm not at all surprised. The community becoming the testing grounds is the norm these days.

CaptNKILL
01-30-06, 10:53 AM
No, it's coming out this year, dude.
Oh they say that, but if it isnt in a releasable state by the time the deadline is up, they will cancel it (its happened many times before). When you have developers talking about losing all their engine programmers in the middle of an engine switch which is taking place the year their game is supposed to be released, you cant be too optimistic.

SH64
01-30-06, 10:54 AM
Guys why dont you just check the updates before posting ?!
Update : GSC's Oleg Yavorskiy says "only 5 people were let go as the new graphics engine nears completion, others went to Heroes of Annihilated Empires. STALKER is almost finished."
http://worthplaying.com/print.php?sid=31488

& more explanation from Oleg here :
http://forums.gamemag.ru/viewtopic.php?p=540388&sid=f23c969d893cfe72a47a7f39d5d144af#540388

rough traslation :
I, Oleg Yavorsky, PR Manager for GSC today visited much loved Gamemag, and I see: rumours, rumours, and again rumours. Rumours I, in principle, love, since this is the main focus of this site - I myself come here to read a little of those interesting stories. But news that "STALKER" is in the stage of beta and final testing - this is already in progress!

I rang Management and, after learning all of the facts, I can say that on Friday at a conference it was decided to transfer some of the desginers to the development of "Heroes", and to discharge some employees. Namely, of 40 people two are transferred into the Art department, five are released from employment. When I asked Sergey "Why", he said that art in "STALKER" is almost finished, and that transferring designers to "Heroes" would be more than sufficent for the title.

None of Management, Key Designers, Programmers, or testers were released. In a telephone conversation I was told that I could not give you any "official comment", but Sergey said to say "ring my mobile, it's always on". All members of press know it's number, and more and more also know mine.

Now, my personal comment, what you wrote, it insulted: What you said of our STALKER - what of Russian Developer Nival. Their title "Hereos of Might and Magic V": already has been in development for four years. Yesterday it was in the beta stage... For some reason no-one on Gamemag made comments, that they did not have time to complete the title. But Art Design is finished - so immediately Gamemag writes "STALKER is dead".

Respected press, you are not in this way. If any information is necessary to you, then ring/write us, do not be troubled.

CaptNKILL
01-30-06, 11:08 AM
Guys why dont you just check the updates before posting ?!

http://worthplaying.com/print.php?sid=31488

& more explanation from Oleg here :
http://forums.gamemag.ru/viewtopic.php?p=540388&sid=f23c969d893cfe72a47a7f39d5d144af#540388

rough traslation :
:o Sorry, I didnt see that anywhere on the page, where did you find it?

And lets hope that its not just crap to cover their ass. I really hope this game comes out in a playable state this year.

toxikneedle
01-30-06, 12:14 PM
Well now I really know why valve funded their own development for HL2... would a flop that would of been if a publisher was deadlining them... well actually valve miss any dates given anyways, but the end product is usually good.

As far as STALKER.... I think theres no point in waiting, wont be anything worthwhile.

AthlonXP1800
01-30-06, 02:33 PM
It may be possible that STALKER will be cancelled if another studio couldnt get it finished because it not documented. I guess that mean the whole source code were all in russian that another development team cant understand the language or here are no tools to translate source code languages.

Quote from Gameguru Mania (http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=20774):

Update: Some of the developers revealed that a few months ago THQ seeked a studio ready to finish STALKER. One of the GSC programmers said that this is very unlikely: "The code is mostly not documented, they wouldn't understand a thing there."

ragejg
01-30-06, 02:39 PM
My nvidia/STALKER t-shirt is getting really really old and faded... I'm getting sick of telling people that it's a kickass upcoming game...

... Well, it's better than a DNF t-shirt. (crazy)

CaptNKILL
01-30-06, 02:54 PM
My nvidia/STALKER t-shirt is getting really really old and faded... I'm getting sick of telling people that it's a kickass upcoming game...

... Well, it's better than a DNF t-shirt. (crazy)
:lol:

Banko
01-30-06, 03:03 PM
It may be possible that STALKER will be cancelled if another studio couldnt get it finished because it not documented. I guess that mean the whole source code were all in russian that another development team cant understand the language or here are no tools to translate source code languages.

Quote from Gameguru Mania (http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=20774):
You can't program a game in Russian. It's all english just to let you know...

Roliath
01-30-06, 03:23 PM
Oh my god, just when I thought this game was going to be released they go and do this mess. But in the end, can we really say that this is a surprise?

Superfly
01-30-06, 04:55 PM
From the STALKER home page: http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

To clarify the concerns of some fans regarding S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-related rumours to have appeared recently on the net, GSC Game World believes it necessary to explain the following:
The project is on the stage of beta approval and is being actively developed in close cooperation with the publisher.
The team has undergone certain reductions, particularly in the art section, due to all the graphics-related works being almost complete (out of 40 people 5 were dismissed). None of the leads, programmers and moreover, testers may not be reduced at any time. Regarding the technology leak, none of the designers gone has the rights to the game’s engine (all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. technologies, including the X-Ray engine and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-2 engine belong to the company). Even if the current or next-generation engine would appear on the net, their legal use is impossible. GSC does not intend to sell its technologies in the nearest time, so as does not intend to postpone the release of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl due to rumours of that kind.

You guys just panic too much.

Gentle
01-30-06, 06:45 PM
I think people are too *LAZY* to do the full research on something when it serves their own purpose.

Gentle

stncttr908
01-30-06, 07:18 PM
You guys just panic too much.
Maybe it the game hadn't been promised for years already we wouldn't be so panicky.