PDA

View Full Version : Which Thermal Paste is better?

Digital_Trans
01-30-06, 12:37 PM
I'm comparing two thermal paste products made by the same company Arctic Silver. Out of the two, which do you think would be more effective for cooling
a CPU and GPU etc.

1.) Arctic Silver 5

2.) Ceramique

Direct url links:

Arctic Silver 5: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Ceramique: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

jAkUp
01-30-06, 12:43 PM
AS5 is better. Ceramique is non conductive, so it is more safe if you spill over traces

Digital_Trans
01-30-06, 01:03 PM
AS5 is better. Ceramique is non conductive, so it is more safe if you spill over traces

Thanks for your insight jAkUp! I was thinking the samething. I will have to
clean off the Ceramique from the cpu and apply my Artic Silver 5.
My friend is using Ceramique and he claims it to be the very best thing out there on the market.
I'm so happy to prove him wrong. jAkUP what do you mean by
non conductive?

theslug
01-30-06, 01:10 PM
I believe that AS5 will cool better but is electrically conductive, meaning if it touches something it shouldn't, it could short out your system or damage something. Ceramique is non-conductive meaning it will not harm something even if it spills off the side of the CPU or GPU and touches other components, however Ceramique will not cool quite as well as AS5 does.

CaptNKILL
01-30-06, 01:13 PM
jAkUP what do you mean by
non conductive?
Doesnt conduct electricity.

CPUs have parts on them that if connected with a conductive material, will short out the CPU and most likely fry it. You have to be real sloppy to do this, but everyone makes mistakes so if you arent real confident or want to keep on the safe side, stick with a non-conductive thermal paste. Obviously anything made with a lot of silver is going to be conductive, so you wont want that. Ive used it though and never had a problem.

jAkUp
01-30-06, 01:14 PM
That is correct, AS5 is conductive, so if you get it on traces, or on the PCB, you could short your system out. When on a CPU, or memory, you don't need to worry about this unless it spills over.

Digital_Trans
01-30-06, 02:23 PM
Okay, great gang! Thanks for your solid advice. :D

Richteralan
01-30-06, 02:27 PM
If you have good applying skills, then I would suggest you to use AS5.

If you don't know how to apply TIM, then Shin Etsu X23-7783D is the best alternative.

Performance of AS5 and 7783D are the same. I read some people says AS5 better and some says 7783D better.

Lfctony
01-30-06, 04:51 PM
The only reason I avoid AS products is that they are adhesives and they are very hard to remove, they stick parts together and for me that's dangerous. I prefer paste even if it doesn't work as well.

hemmy
01-30-06, 05:00 PM
They aren't adhesives, they do sell a Thermal adhesive, but that is what it is called

AS5 is very easy to remove, and AS Ceramique is even easier

lightman
01-30-06, 05:04 PM
The only reason I avoid AS products is that they are adhesives and they are very hard to remove, they stick parts together and for me that's dangerous. I prefer paste even if it doesn't work as well.

Afaik, neither AS5 nor Ceramique are adhesive. The only Artic Silver products that are adhesive are the Thermal Epoxies, i.e., Silver Adhesive and Alumina Adhesive.

I usually use only AS5, both for CPU and GPU. Never had a problem with it.

Keep in mind that in order to completely remove every trace of AS5 from a cpu/gpu/memory module, it is better to use ArtiClean, other removers could leave traces of AS5...

fatal1ty
01-30-06, 05:17 PM
I was using Ceramique for awhile on my GPUs, found As5 to lower the temps about 5 degress once cured.

Lfctony
01-30-06, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Epoxies was what I was talking about, not AS products in general. Sorry for the mixup. I generally prefer paste because its easier to remove. I use AS ceramique myself actually.

Banko
01-30-06, 05:27 PM
I use Ceramique because in my tests I found absolutely no difference...

seeker
01-30-06, 05:45 PM
I recall reading somewhere, that AS5 takes up to 200 hours in operation to cure, and longer if not shutdown occassionally. This leaves me wondering just how objective that some users comparisons are? I put AS5 on when I last assembled the system on 1/16/06, but I never shut my system down, except to work on it, and that is usually only for minutes. I've been watching the temperatures, and I'm not yet sure just how cool that it going to run. When I rebooted earlier today, I had 27C on the mobo and 32C on the CPU at idle.

john19055
01-30-06, 09:21 PM
IMO Artic Silver 5 just can't be beat ,I am sure there are some others out there that comes close ,but I use it on all my CPU's and on my video cards GPU and there is a big difference in tempertures from what they send you to use.

mike2h
02-01-06, 03:57 PM
I use Ceramique because in my tests I found absolutely no difference...

i agree. i even use it on cpu & northbridge because the difference is so small that i will take the safety factor any day of the week

malachi1313
02-01-06, 05:25 PM
Can't beat Ceramique in my books. Seems like it holds up a little longer than Arctic Silver and of course it doesn't conduct. One drawback is that it is a little messier to handle/deal with.

Venturi
02-02-06, 07:26 AM
Let me answer the original question.

The AS5 will provide a better thermal interface when applied correctly. In addition after 20 or 30 hours of uptime it will work better than when it was originally applied.

This is my humble opinion on correctly applying thermal paste:

Despite many websites with pictures and "how too's", many folks still apply it incorrectly.

1. Make sure the two receiving surfaces are smooth and mate flat without air-gaps, noticeable wabbles or shifting. If this occurs, you have other problems.

2. If you are highly motivatated you may smooth the surfaces and shine them correctly on a pefectly flat surface (lapping) - don't hand buff the area because you will cause the problems in part 1.

3. Use alcohool to remove any residue on both surfaces.

4. Use electrical tape to mask the processor surrounding area and frame it.

5. Apply a small amount (size of a BB) of paste to both surfaces. Spread it evenly so that it covers the whole cpu heat cap and the corresponding heatsink. You want a thin layer that is ALMOST transparent but not so thin that you can see the metal surface. Hence apply a 'FILM" of the paste.

6. Remove the electrical tape frame around the cpu.

7. Mate the cpu and heatsink together as dead even as possible. Push down slowly and gently feeling the film and surface settle.

8. If you have the screw in type heatsink. Tighten down the heatsink with an alternating screw or clamp pattern. But don't tighten down all the way. Stop shy of "torqueing it down". Save the last half turns for after part 9.

9. Boot to the PC Bios, don't load the OS. Allow a few minutes for the heatsink to get warm. This will increase the motility of the paste.

10. Turn PC off and immediatly settle the heatsink the rest of the way, Tighten at will.

11. Get 20 hours of uptime in and see your temps.

Note: by just applying a dollop of paste and smacking the cpu and heatsink together - you remove the thermal advantages or variations of the subtle differences of the different thermal conductance of many thermal paste products.

Well just my humble opinion, please use the advice to your discretion.

Jay

mon
04-23-06, 07:29 AM
wot about artic cooling MX-1 or akasa 450 ?? ARE THESE ANY GOOD?

Chippo
04-23-06, 11:38 AM
If you want to get fanatical about it, this stuff:

http://www.coollaboratory.com/en/

is completely awesome and 10 times better even that AS5. Really, 10 times better!

But its incredibly dangerous stuff. Firstly, it is **HIGHLY** conductive. AS5 is only very slightly conductive and probably won't do any harm if you spill a tiny bit. However this stuff is not like that. Spill ANY and it WILL destroy your PC.

Second, its VERY corrosive, and if you get any on anything made of aluminium, it will disolve it!

So its crazy stuff. But it does conduct heat 10 times better than AS5. People have reported 6C or 7C lower temps using this stuff, compared to AS5.

Chip

watever
04-23-06, 09:57 PM
i think id rather have 6-7c higher temps rather than risk destroying my pc.

1337_Like_ThaT
04-24-06, 12:22 AM
AS5 makes one hell of a mess if applied incorrectly :)