PDA

View Full Version : Download speed getting slower and slower.

Capt. Picard
01-31-06, 06:41 AM
I don't understand this I've got a 512Kb ADSL connection. When I download it usually starts at say 50KB/s but then it gradually gets slower and slower till it's about 25KB/s

Why does it starts fast but then gets slower.

|MaguS|
01-31-06, 07:51 AM
Have you done a bandwidth test? Does it only happen on a single site? Have you checked for Adware? Defrag anytime recently? Have you ran an Anti-Virus program? What browser are you using? Any tweaking done to the connection? Router being used or directly connected to the modem? Have you tried reseting the modem?

wnd
01-31-06, 11:52 AM
Why does it starts fast but then gets slower.

If you're talking about file transfers over HTTP, you can probably blame the application you use. Most applications start downloading the file while still showing you file selection dialog, but start taking time for the download only when you press "Save", "Ok", or whatever. So during the first second the dialog shows (bytes_so_far / 1 s). If you managed to download, say, 400 KiB so far, it would say you're downloading "400 KiB/s". After a second it will say "200 KiB/s" (assuming you didn't get more bytes) and so on.

Of course the same applies to other protocols as well, but that behaviour is especially popular among web-browsers. Try downloading from several servers that are known to be fast, and compare total speed to your theoretical maximum.

CaptNKILL
01-31-06, 12:22 PM
If you're talking about file transfers over HTTP, you can probably blame the application you use. Most applications start downloading the file while still showing you file selection dialog, but start taking time for the download only when you press "Save", "Ok", or whatever. So during the first second the dialog shows (bytes_so_far / 1 s). If you managed to download, say, 400 KiB so far, it would say you're downloading "400 KiB/s". After a second it will say "200 KiB/s" (assuming you didn't get more bytes) and so on.

Heh, yeah I never realized this until the other day when I was going to download a 700Mb file. I left the computer sitting (waiting in line for download) overnight at work. I came back and saw that the download dialog was still open. I told it to save the file and it said it was downloading at around 30,000K\sec :lol:

I guess it had been done for hours, so it "downloaded" it all at once. That was pretty cool :D