PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Middle Earth II Beta

Lfctony
01-31-06, 08:06 AM
Anyone else here that joined the Beta? It started a while ago, you need a Fileplanet subscription to join AFAIK. Looks nice so far, a lot of things have changed for the better. From what I gather, you will not be limited by the storyline of the original story, which is better because they can expand the game freely.

One thing I found weird in the beta are shadows. I currently have an ATI card and I think shadows are being rendered incorrectly. I noticed something similar in NFSMW, which is also an EA game, blocky shadows. Here's a screenie, if anyone with an Nvidia card can test this game, if you have it.

Thanks,
Tony.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=15946&stc=1&d=1138716355

|MaguS|
01-31-06, 08:10 AM
Hows the games speed? I played the original and what turned me off the most was that the game moved at such a S L O W pace...

Lfctony
01-31-06, 08:58 AM
It's a bit faster I think, at least the soldiers move at a higher pace. They actually run now. :)

CrazyIvan
01-31-06, 09:51 AM
Anyone else here that joined the Beta? It started a while ago, you need a Fileplanet subscription to join AFAIK. Looks nice so far, a lot of things have changed for the better. From what I gather, you will not be limited by the storyline of the original story, which is better because they can expand the game freely.

One thing I found weird in the beta are shadows. I currently have an ATI card and I think shadows are being rendered incorrectly. I noticed something similar in NFSMW, which is also an EA game, blocky shadows. Here's a screenie, if anyone with an Nvidia card can test this game, if you have it.

Thanks,
Tony.

The shadows are supposed to look like that atm, the performance loss with proper rendered shadows is too huge. It will be fixed in the retail version.

Brimstone7
01-31-06, 09:55 AM
I signed up for the beta as well but was not able to play it. I'm sure you noticed the "SafeCast" registration process which tries to validate your copy of the beta. Unfortunately, for me and many others it just doesn't work. A web page pops up asking for a user name, password, etc. which is all supplied by Fileplanet. Unfortunately, no matter what I put in, clicking the submit button just brought me to a page that said something like "Error, go back to the form and correct your error." without telling me what the problem really was. I tried a reinstall and a few other suggested fixes but no dice. Definately a huge turn-off, especially if the retail product will be using similar technology.

Lfctony
01-31-06, 11:46 AM
Mine activated fine. :(

arioch21
01-31-06, 03:16 PM
I played it and liked it, I will prolly be getting it on release, too bad your forced to get the collectors edition for DvD version from what I gathered, I dont want to install 6 cd's.

overall so far its alot better then the first imo. and has alot of potential.

GamerGuyX
01-31-06, 04:12 PM
I signed up for the beta as well but was not able to play it. I'm sure you noticed the "SafeCast" registration process which tries to validate your copy of the beta. Unfortunately, for me and many others it just doesn't work. A web page pops up asking for a user name, password, etc. which is all supplied by Fileplanet. Unfortunately, no matter what I put in, clicking the submit button just brought me to a page that said something like "Error, go back to the form and correct your error." without telling me what the problem really was. I tried a reinstall and a few other suggested fixes but no dice. Definately a huge turn-off, especially if the retail product will be using similar technology.

They fixed that problem. I would know, I am in the Beta. Took EA a hell of a long time to get damn Safecrap **** figured out.

EDIT: Oh and the one thing that annoys me the most about this game is with the Dwarven side. They look like mascots for some new cereal or something. Not to mention how stupid the Dwarven Axe Towers look. Give the Dwarves crossbows damnit!

superklye
01-31-06, 05:08 PM
I want to play this! I'm a FilePlanet subscriber...I can just download and go? Oh man...I cannot wait to get home from work now...screw homework!

TierMann
01-31-06, 05:14 PM
I like the first one a lot. I'm not a fileplanet subscriber though and I won't become one for betas so I'll have to wait.

GamerGuyX
01-31-06, 05:20 PM
I want to play this! I'm a FilePlanet subscriber...I can just download and go? Oh man...I cannot wait to get home from work now...screw homework!

Go here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/bfme2/openbeta/

Press the "JOIN THE BETA NOW" button to get started.

Oh and keep in mind, the Beta is obviously online multiplayer only.

superklye
01-31-06, 07:41 PM
Sweet! I'm downloading now...I can't wait to play this! I hope we get the FULL tech trees and all that of the Dwarves and Goblins...and I'm excited to see their units and such. I loved the first game, except the insane restrictions on building and all that...but the game was fun and the graphics were amazing, I thought.

superklye
02-01-06, 12:04 AM
Well, I'm very, VERY disappointed. Not only are the graphics pretty much identical to how the original game looked, but the AI has actually gotten DUMBER.

The final battle of the first tutorial (I didn't realize at first that it was a multiplayer only beta, which is hella lame), there were like 400 goblins on screen. My guys just stood there. They'd kill the ONE unit I focused on, and then just stand there. Thank Jesus those eagles came and started tearing **** up, otherwise I'd have been fighting that battle for the next three hours.

They better fix the AI (I even had the units on "aggressive"!) and those hideous shadows by 3/2...

JonathanM
03-02-06, 03:08 PM
I played it and liked it, I will prolly be getting it on release, too bad your forced to get the collectors edition for DvD version from what I gathered, I dont want to install 6 cd's.

I bought the regular version thinking the only difference with the collector's edition is the little extras and movies. That and the fact that it was 20 bucks cheaper.

rant mode on...

But 6 CDs...

Now that's just proposeterous. My installation has just passed the 15 minute marker and that's cuz I've been waiting for each CD to finish. At least with a DVD I could have just left it there for the entire time.

If the publishers are releasing games that require steeper system requirements... can't they realize that all the systems that meet these requirements have DVD drives? They've been standard on all systems for how long now? 2-3 years?

Kudos to Ubi for launching Splinter Cell Chaos Theory in DVD only.

Rant mode off.

Anywho off i go to apply the patch.... ;)

Gaco
03-02-06, 03:53 PM
Black & White 2, Quake 4 and Civ4 are among the newer DVD-only games. I'm sure there are many more.

Still waiting for my CE, it should be coming tomorrow. Is the game good?

JonathanM
03-03-06, 01:32 AM
Ah I'm sure... I'm just peeved the DVD version is more expensive, albeit it has more content. I wonder what the reception would have been if there would have been a cd-rom edition and a "normal" DVD edition. I'm sure such a product would demonstrate that the era of multi-cd games is quickly coming to an end (and none too soon anyway).

Ya the game's alright. I've gotten some single player time in.

Can't wait to try the MP once i get a couple buddies over. That's the real reason I picked up the game.

BTW the shadows still look like crap as is displayed in the screencap above.

superklye
03-03-06, 08:30 AM
Black & White 2, Quake 4 and Civ4 are among the newer DVD-only games. I'm sure there are many more.

Still waiting for my CE, it should be coming tomorrow. Is the game good?
It's awesome. They definitely got their crap together between the beta and the final version. The shadows are still lacking, but it's SO much fun. Lots of units for each side, lots of heroes and SO much action...I love this game. It's everything the first game was trying to be, and more.

Superfly
03-03-06, 09:18 AM
It's awesome. They definitely got their crap together between the beta and the final version. The shadows are still lacking, but it's SO much fun. Lots of units for each side, lots of heroes and SO much action...I love this game. It's everything the first game was trying to be, and more.

Im with you dude - I love it too.

great RTS - best in many a year IMHO.